My Great Uncle Russell
Veterans I Have Known
A Veteran No One Seems to Know
..and Robin Miller - A Local Veteran I Wish I Had Known and here
Today, I focus on just one - His career and service were not typical -

My Cousin (3 times removed) Franklin Mousley - "Old Stormy Weather"
Born in April of 1895 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, he was a licenced wireless amateur by 1908.
He pioneered in wireless telegraphy while working with both the United Wireless Telegraph and the Marconi Telegraph Companies.
He had world-wide service on sailing vessels, freighters and passenger liners. he made five trips through the Strait of Magellan and Smythe Channel at the southern tip of South America. He was a Radio Operator, Purser, and Supercargo (The duties of a supercargo include managing the cargo owner's trade, selling the merchandise at the ports to which the vessel is sailing, and buying and receiving goods to be carried on the return voyage.)
He operated a trading post and store in Alaska and was the Office Manager for a Salmon Cannery; He experienced shipwrecks, earthquakes, WWI German commerce raiders, bubonic plague and fire at sea. Before the US entered WWI, he served on British and Japanese vessels then in the war against Germany.
He served as the Deputy Registrar for the Universal Draft (WWI) in southwest Alaska. During WWI, he was Chief-in-Charge of radio maintenance and personnel on US and Allied vessels in the port of Philadelphia. He spent six years at Norfolk, VA with the US Shipping Board, serving as the Supervisor of radio and submarine signal equipment on the main fleet's approximately 1,000 ships.
In 1926, he entered the foundry business with his father, Thomas Charles and brother Marshall and my Great-grandfather Harry Davis Mousley where he was a brass hardware saleman.
In 1930-31, he became the State Radio Commander of the American Legion (see newspaper article)
In 1930, he was a Delegate to the US Naval Reserve Communications Conference held in Washington D.C.,
During 1928-32, he organized and commanded the US Naval Communication Reserve, 4th Naval District**
**The boundaries of the Fourth Naval District, to be headquartered at League Island Navy Yard in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, were established on 7 May 1903 and consisted of the following geographic areas: Pennsylvania, the southern part of New Jersey (including the counties of Burlington, Ocean, and all counties south thereof), and Delaware.
During the WWII years of 1942-1943, he served as the Radio Security Officer, Panama Sea Frontier.
Promoted to Commander, in 1943, he served from 1943 to 1946 as the Radio Traffic Manager, Navy Department Communication Office in Washington D.C.
He retired from the Navy in 1946 and became a genealogist - it is he that left me with the materials I have documenting my family tree.
Franklin married twice:
1 - September 19, 1921 Norfolk, VA to Elizabeth Christina LaGiglia (b. April 1902 Nicosia, Catania, Sicily, Italy) They had one child, a boy named Thomas Samuel who died as an infant in 1923. They divorced while Franklin was based in Norfolk and Franklin left active service for a time to work in the family foundry business.
2 - September 3, 1937 Philadelphia, PA to Lillian Hutchington (b. September 1905 Philadelphia, PA) They had no children. Lillian Hutchington was an established singing voice in the Philadelphia "Girls Chorus". She died in 1990 in Poquoson, Virginia and is buried in Wallingford, PA.
I have not been able to discover when Franklin died or where he is buried.
Commander Franklin Mousley, USN was not a typical veteran and lived a varied and fascinating life. I thank him for all his efforts to get secure radio communications on ships of all sorts - and US Navy vessels in particular.

16 comments:
Commander Franklin Mousley accomplished a lot during his lifetime. What a brave and great man. I'm glad you wrote about him today. I hope you find his final resting place soon. (i'm sure you will search until you do)
A big thank you to Commander Franklin Mousley and all of the veterans across this great land.
Karl, I have to say, you have got to have one of the most interesting family histories! I am still amazed at the information you have been able to gather!
Thanks for remembering Robin.
I agree--what an interesting family! He lived and worked all over the place. And had a variety of jobs. What a fascinating life! And you have the genealogy in common with him, too.
But--bubonic plague? I thought that was around centuries ago? Shows what I know. Wow! Thanks for sharing. :)
When I die, I want you to write my memorial ;)
Your family is fascinating. Commander Franklin Mousley lead a full and fascinating life and the world is better off because he lived. What a wonderful tribute!
Even though I had read the other tributes, I had to check back. They are all great.
Punkn
Youa re very fortunate to have had someone in your family start a geanology. That would certainly help you along on your own path! :)
Wow, what a survivor... a full and lively life he led!!
He was a very interesting fellow. Really..you cannot find out when or where he died..in a foreign country maybe? Curious..
Great post Iggy:) I have been thinking about Peter this week also:(
You are so lucky to know so much about your family history. I don't know too much about mine except for the bit of genealogy stuff I did years back. Your family is very interesting. Nice story.
I have a very active in plublic life kind of family. I'm wondering, like Connie, if he may have been buried out of the country. You are so good at tracking down people, you would have found him, I'm sure.
What a career he had.
A very interesting post and a great tribute for a great man.
I tip my hat to him and to all veterans!
Beth
I have never understood the second cousin twice removed or whatever in our genealogy; you'll have to explain it sometime Iggy!
So much enjoyed reading about Commander Franklin! What an interesting life he led, especially with his service in the military for more than one country! Neat that he took an interest in genealogy and laid a foundation for you to take up the reins so to speak!
Always good to honor our veterans who have served for our freedom!
I hope it is a restful weekend!
betty
I thank him also Iggy and he sounds like a wonderful man thanks so much for sharing him with us HUGS!
what a guy...
What a fascinating and varied life he led. I thank him and all our veterans past and present for their service to our nation.
What a fascinating, brave and wonderful man! :)
Yes, I too agree... Very fascinating indeed.
I am sorry I have taken so long to read this. I wanted to make sure I was able to give this my full attention. This man lead a fascinating life, I can't imagine the things he witnessed, truly historical events. I find it sad that that you don't know when he died or where he is. He sounds like a real hero to me. Thank you, once again for sharing.
Post a Comment