Monday, August 1, 2011

Monday Morning Greetings

When I got to work this morning, this is the scene that greeted me.

Sometime Friday night or Saturday morning, high winds came through town and ripped all sorts of branches from the trees. The office building next door to mine suffered a worse fate. An old, 100 year plus oak tree toppled over and into the building.

office building with porch complete torn off the front and the roof tarped over
The complete front of the building was damaged, the roof destroyed and the screened in porch leveled. You can see the size of the trunk - all that remains of the oak tree (besides the yard debris) in the lower right.

My building, the one were I work shoveling snow, cutting grass and working on computer programs was also damaged.

picture showing my office next to the damaged building
I guess, in a way, I'm fortunate that "all" the damage appears to be torn gutter, ripped up shingle and flashing, mangled air conditioner coolant lines, and tons of yard debris.

front of my building
I'm going to be busy cleaning up in the heat - and dealing with the insurance people. Oh joy.

I might not get to your blogs for a while - I've my hands full and am a bit upset.

24 comments:

AliceKay said...

Sorry to see the mess you have to deal with there today, but thankfully it wasn't as bad as your neighbors. Be careful out there in the heat today. *hugs*

Parsley said...

Oh crud...this is not good. The weather can be brutal sometimes. Sending hopes that all goes well with insurance and the work at hand. Wish we could get a crew of bloggers out there to help!

P.S. Right now would be a good time for OCHA to surround your location ;-)

Rita said...

Bummer!! Be careful out there in that heat! Take lots of breaks and drink lots of water. Looks like you were lucky it wasn't worse, but what a pain in the patoot! Take your time. Thinking of you. *hugs*

Texas Gal said...

Don't get too hot out there in the heat. And try not to be too upset..nothing can be done about it now except to clean it up *hugsssss*

Queenie Jeannie said...

Gosh, what a pain in the butt!! I hope the insurance people are less irritating than usual!! HUGS!!!!!!!!!

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

Mother Nature can be wicked at times. Take it easy in the heat and I'm glad you aren't the guy next door.

We'll be waiting for your return.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the damage (though I am glad it wasn't as bad as the place next door).

Hugs, hugs, and more hugs!

Anonymous said...

Wow, quite the storm!

I"m sorry you have to deal with this. Hope it all gets resolved quickly.

sugarlens said...

What a way to start a new week. Hope it gets resolved painlessly and quickly.

ChicagoLady said...

Be safe out in that heat, and be careful, don't want you to hurt yourself.

Lickety Splitter said...

Yikes! I love trees, love 'em, love 'em true, but I sure do hate when they come crashing down. So sorry for your tree trouble. If I were there, I would lend a helping hand.

Martha said...

Oh, no, I did not realize your building was damaged too. I guess I was thinking you were further away from it. I drove by and I guess I was so busy looking at the huge fallen tree I didn't see your building.

I hope everything gets repaired quickly. Let me know if I can do anything...

Anne Johnson said...

I hope Monday afternoon's heavy-hitters didn't make things worse.

aladdinsane12 said...

Oh my gosh- that's crazy! So sorry! We've been having horrible storms here, too (one's going on right now, actually). Hope things can be fixed quickly!

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Holy Guacamole, what a mess! Sorry about the heat and the insurance hassles. Sending my best for a quick resolution.
Thank you for everything, Iggy, I'm blessed to know you too.

Furry Bottoms said...

OH wow, what a shock that must have been! I wish I could be there to help you clean up. I agree, you're lucky with how little the damage for you was, but I would still have been upset too.

Deep breathe....let go.... you can get through this :)

jmt said...

I'm sorry you had to deal with all this! Storm damage can be pretty severe from what I understand. :( I am happy that I saw you around my way, but I clearly understand if you don't have time. Happy hump day, at least....?

Far Side of Fifty said...

looks like you will be busy for a bit! Take it easy in the heat..drink lots ( of water) :)

jewelrybyrebecca said...

:-( Sorry to hear/see the mess you have on your hands. Hugs...
Hang in there!!

LadyStyx said...

Aw man. That really sucks. Things could have been much worse though. Stay hydrated and come back when you can.

Deanna said...

That was one serious storm! As Styxie said... That sucks. But at least nobody was hurt. There is a lot to say for that! I'm going to head to your most recent post to see your progress.

Huge hugs!

Punkn

Anonymous said...

So sorry about the problems Iggy and I hope everything works out quickly for you and be careful out in the heat please, HUGS!!!!

Pamela said...

a wicked wind...

yellowdoggranny said...

oh no...that's awful.so sorry