Thursday, May 19, 2011

What Happened to Spring?

Twas the night before Summer, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.
The swimsuits were hung on the clothesline with care,
In hopes that SpongeBob SquarePants soon would be there.

The OCHAs were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of sweet taffy danced in their heads.
And ma in her ‘kini, and I in my speedo,
Had just settled our heads for a short afternoon nap.

When out on the beach there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the couch to see what was the matter.
Away to the window I flew like a flash,
Tore open the curtains and threw up the sash.

two spongebob squarepants beach towels and orange cones playing chicken
Orange Cones Playing Chicken - one wearing a belt life preserver


The Coppertone girl's full moon set the sand a'glow
Gave the harsh glare of mid-day to objects below.
When, what I had to share via my blog and phone,
Was a miniature keg, and drunk, loud orange cones.

With his very odd laughter, and his fry cook job,
I knew in a moment it must be SpongeBob.
More rapid than eagles his groupies they came,
And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name!

"Now Simmons! now, Misses all! New York and Texas!
On, Georgia! Illinois! on Louis-ey and Connie***!
To the top of the porch! to the top of the wall!
Now splash away! Splash away! Splash away all!"

As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky.
So up to the house-top the groupies they flew,
With the keg full of beer, and SpongeBob SquarePants too.

And then, in a twinkling, I heard on the roof
The prancing and hawing of each little goof.
As I drew in my head, and was turning around,
Down the chimney SpongeBob SquarePants came with a bound.

He was undressed all but pants, from his waist hung tinfoil,
And his skin was all glistened with sunscreen oil.
A six pack of beer he had flung on his back,
And he looked like a peddler, just opening his pack.

two spongebob squarepants beach towels and orange cones playing in the 'water'
Orange Cones Playing in the Water - Adults watching the wee ones


His eyes-how they twinkled! his dimples how merry!
His cheeks were like roses, his nose peelin' like scary!
His droll little chin was drawn up like a bow,
And the teeth in his mouth was as white as the snow.

His prized spatula he held tight in his teeth,
And his breath it encircled his head like a wreath.
He had a broad face and a big square belly,
That shook when he laughed, like a fishes of jelly!

He was sunny and bright, a right jolly old soul,
And I laughed when I saw him, quite out of control!
A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,
Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread.

two spongebob squarepants beach towels and orange cones playing on the 'beach'
Orange Cones on the Beach - Hey! someone stole my swimsuit!


He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,
And refilled all the empties, then turned with a jerk.
And laying his finger aside of his nose,
And giving a nod, up the chimney he rose!

He drained the rest of the keg, while the cones whistled,
Then away they all went, chests puffed slick and chiseled!
And I heard Bob exclaim, ‘ere he drove out of sight,
"Happy Summer to all, and to all a good-night!"

My apologies to whoever wrote "Twas the Night Before Christmas"...and my thanks to Queenie Jeannie for the Beauty Queens, Lady Styx for the left hand beach towel, ToriZ for the right hand beach towel and little clay cone, Alice Kay for Pooh and Party Cone, DeeDee for the big foam cone, Parsley for Prayer Cone and all of rest of you that put up with me.

:)

*** Gene Simmons, Miss Texas, Miss New York, Miss Illinois, Miss Georgia, Miss Louisiana, and Miss Confusion. I realize I'm a name short.

11 comments:

AliceKay said...

That was pretty darn cute. :)

(we will ever get summer? all we get is rain.)

betty said...

it is a joy to "put up" with you Iggy! I loved this; so very cute!! So very clever of you, that had to take some creativity to write this poem!! This is one to come back and read again and again, especially on those tough days! Thanks for the laugh :)

enjoy the weekend :)

betty

Parsley said...

You are such a HOOT! Love this!! It's always a pleasure to read but today was quite creative!

ChicagoLady said...

Looks like the cones were having a right jolly old time in the water. Hope they wore plenty of sunscreen.

LadyStyx said...

Send in the cones
there ought to be cones
don't bother...
they're here.....

Glad it arrived safely :)

Anonymous said...

LOL! Love it! Thanks for the chuckle this morning!

Oh, and - just so you know - it's a pleasure to "put up with" you... And, you're welcome! :)

Heather said...

You've Officially started my summer for me. Thank you.

Matty said...

Bravo. Well done my friend. Rhyming and keeping with the storyline is no easy task. You were superb.

Rita said...

You are a poet at heart. Or should I say songwriter? But songwriters are also poets, right? You really pulled out all the cones and Sponge Bob paraphernalia for this song! Loved it!! :)

Best to you, my friend, and hope you have a great weekend! :):)

Anonymous said...

You are just the greatest story teller Iggy. I loved this and I bet whoever wrote that original would get a kick out of yours for sure :o) HUGS!!!

yellowdoggranny said...

I luff your 'pome..and don't know what this is here..it's in the 70's but humidity is like 93 percent..ugh.