Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Lead up to the Memorial Day Weekend

As many of you know, I've been "seeking my roots" this past year or so and my search has turned up some relatives I had no knowledge of even having. Within the confines of my nuclear family, only my father has served in the military, dispensing his ROTC obligation as Captain in the Army between the Korean and Vietnam wars. His father was exempted from the draft in WWII as he was employed manufacturing vital wartime supplies (mostly parts for Navy ships) in the family foundry.

With Memorial Day coming - I wanted to honor the "new" members in my family that served. These are family members ... I never knew.


Great-Uncle James McClurken
Pennsylvania
Cpl, Company D, 34th Infantry, 7th Division
November 5, 1888
March 6, 1958

The best I can tell, my great-uncle served on a "Sanitary Train." These were ambulance trains that were used to move injured soldiers from field hospitals to rear areas for transport back to the states. They were fully equipped and could handle surgery as well as care for the critically wounded.

After the war, my father's mother's father's brother worked for Abbot's Dairy as a chemist, making ice cream.


Cousin Elmer Mousley
U.S. Navy - World War I
October 25, 1897
April 23, 1975

Elmer was an electrician in the Navy during WWI, and he served in Brest, France, and on the US Navy Repair Ship Bridgeport. After the war, he worked for Western Electric, installing automatic telephone switching stations.

---Missing Gravestone*---
Cousin Russell Mousley
April 15, 1893
September 1960

Russell was machine gunner 315th Infantry, 79th Division and was wounded in the Meuse-Argonne offensive that effectively ended WWI. He received a Purple Heart and recovered from his injuries. He became a Philadelphia Committeeman and later a Clerk in the city's Prothonotary Office.

*I've made no progress with getting his headstone (re)placed.

I knew my mother's father, but he died when I was 13 years old. I was at his side with my mother and grandmother - the only family to make it the hospital "in time," and watched him die without waking from a coma-like sleep.

my mom's father's grave
Grandfather John R. Bush
Oct 29, 1896 - March 1974
1M 2/C U.S. Navy
World War I

My mom's father served as a radio-telegraph operator on a destroyer during WWI. A young boy from Calera, Oklahoma, he too sailed to Brest, France and then onwards to Boston, Massachusetts (where he met my grandmother). He got seasick easily and rarely, if ever, got back on a boat after the war. He operated a automobile service garage in Boston until he retired long before I was born.

cartoon with a veteran pointing to a grave saying to a child, these are real american idols

14 comments:

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

Thank you for introducing the brave heros in your family. We wouldn't be who are, as a country, without them.

AliceKay said...

Nice post for Memorial Day. :)

I think we all have family members somewhere in our lineage who have served with honor to give us the freedoms we now have. God bless them all.

Matty said...

Can you imagine that there are even more you don't know about? But I have no doubt that with your special skills, you'll find them.

I can only imagine the relatives I don't know about.

Anne Johnson said...

There's a wide misconception about wartime service. We tend to think only of people who put on uniforms. They also served who built engines, made tires (my dad), perfected gas masks (my granddad), and comforted the afflicted (your ancestor and Walt Whitman). This Memorial Day we should recognize those "service-people" too.

Anonymous said...

Excellent post... Thank you for introducing us to some of the heroes in your family!

Rita said...

Right now there's a cousin's son in the service, but my Dad was at the tail end of WWII in the Navy--and I don't actually know most of my family line. This was such a nice tribute to the members of your family who have served the country. And you may still find more. They all need to be remembered. :)

betty said...

Can you imagine the stories Great Uncle James could tell about the ambulance trains? What a difference with what they had to work with for supplies compared to what we have thee days! I like what business he got into afterwards, making ice cream is a great career too!

What is interesting of all your relatives who served (or at least the relatives you have found to date) is that they all went into interesting fields of work afterwards and they all lived long lives!

Great tribute to them, Iggy!!

betty

Queenie Jeannie said...

A wonderful tribute! Thank you to your family's long service - both in and out of uniform!!!

And thank you for the sweet card I received in the mail yesterday! You're the bestest!

yellowdoggranny said...

thats' the thing ..almost all families have heros that have served. and the sad thing? it's not going to stop.

Furry Bottoms said...

I wish my family had more heroes in it. We're a family of villians, unfortunately. We're descendants if Devil Anse Hatfield, of the Hatfield and the McCoys feud out there in Ky. This is an awesome search you're coming up with! :)

Texas Gal said...

I had my family history traced back to the 15th century...but my ex stole all my things out of my filing cabinet and now it's gone forever. I don't think I had any hero's in there, but my dad did serve in the south pacific during WWII.

ChicagoLady said...

God bless your relatives that served, both militarily and privately, during past wars. You are so fortunate to have discovered unknown relatives. Best of luck in your search for more of them.

Far Side of Fifty said...

What a lovely way to honor your relatives that fought for freedom! :)

Pamela said...

You're getting my sleuthing juices going again. (just to much else going on being a full time grandma. maybe later...)