Anyway, he drove two hours each way, to spend thirty minutes on the beach with Zoey. I have think he is insane sometimes... but then I got to thinking about the weekend day we went down there around March 20th. The sun was glorious and the sky, a brilliant blue. The ocean water was a cold, clear green and the white sandy beach was mostly deserted (I hate to sound like a hermit, but I prefer it this way).
While I stood in the dunes and watched the waves roll in and out - I spotted a man walking his dog a ways down the beach.

I shouted, "Hey Zoey! Here comes a dog!"
She turned to me and her expression was one of "you talking to me?"

I simply laughed at her, and she stopped and turned to see what I was pointing at.

Her ears perked up when she saw the black lab I was watching... You could almost hear her think, "Oh boy! Here comes some fun!"

"Come on! Come on already!!"

"Woof woof!! ArrRack! Arrf!"*
*I think this means, "Hi! my name is Zoey, what's yours?"
"Whoooooof! bark bark bark yip!"
*I think this means, "My human is a great guy! You like yours?!"

"Wooof! Pant pant pant auuurrrgghh!"*
*Loosely dog-whispered, this means, "(expleted deleted) [trans: gosh darn] leash! Let me go human!"

"Arrrrrwwwwwwwooooo wuf!"*
*"Well, nice to meet you, sort of... sigh."

"Bark! Bark barkety bark arf!"*
*"Good night, good night! Parting is such sweet sorrow, That I shall say good night till it be morrow!"
Hmmm... Zoey must be reading William Shakespeare these days...

16 comments:
I think my Molly would love the beach but she's a scaredy-dog now that her best pal Henry is gone and would be afraid of other big dogs.
Love this post! You knew I would!
I posted about a muddy dog today. hehe
*giggles* LOVE this post!!! The commentary was awesome!
And the diamonds sparkling on the sea. *sigh*
A trip to the beach always renews my spirit. Looks like the dogs feel the same way.
Great pics of the beach, your dad, and Zoey. Nice chance meeting with the other dog. :)
These pics kinda look familiar to me. *winks*
I wish I could have been the one walking Zoey! That water is so crystal clear. I am so jealous! I see nothing strange about driving for hours for a 30 minute walk. It sounds like something I would definitely do.
I didn't know you spoke dogspeak! Wow..come tell me what this mutt of James'is saying please!!!!
I soooo want to go to the Atlantic Shore..just once.
Oh, how cute! LOVE German Shepherds :) I've been trying to convince myself not to get a dog lately, and it's kind of working, but kind of not. I have wanted one my whole life, but with Dan and I both working full-time, I don't know if it'd be fair to the dog. We'll see.
Well, Zoey is quite outgoing isn't she? ;)
Lovely pictures of the shore.
Haha, yes, must be nice to be semi-retired and able to do whatever you pleases. It's great that your dad still has the energy to enjoy life!
Love this post... Thanks for the giggle!
Of course, you know she's reading things like that... What else would a dog like her do in between beach trips and such? LOL!
P.S. I prefer the beach to be quiet - if not deserted, then at least not crowded - too. Easier to enjoy it when you've got room to move, and space to just... Well, just enjoy yourself! :)
that beach/ocean is soooo beautiful; so different than the ones here. I do like the conversation between Zoey and her friend that day at the beach; I'm just glad she met this dog and not Koda on her outing, it would have been a totally different conversation with lot of expletives on the part of Koda (people friendly, not dog friendly)
your dad rocks! I can absolutely see doing this exact thing; 2 hour car ride for 30 minutes so the dog can enjoy the beach. Yep, I can see doing this!!
have a good weekend Iggy!
betty
Catching the last dog day at the beach without humans--or very few of them--priceless! Worth the drive. I prefer my nature without humans, too, and dog company is so much better than all too many of the humans around--ROFL! And a short road trip on a nice day...to be devoured. All makes perfect sense to me. ;)
you love your daddy
Walking on the beach is the bestest! Hugs to you!
That beach looks wonderful. I'm not much on crowds and really like when things are peaceful....
Seems like a stupid rule to me..they should have parts of the beach just for dogs:(
Post a Comment