Saturday, March 12, 2011

Orange Cone Museum

I huddled the Orange Cones around me this weekend and told them about Orange Cone Museum idea and got a mixed reaction.

a dozen cones, some plastic including the kiss cone with the big tongue, some wool, one clay along with two note cards and sponge bob wearing a cone
One of the cones was worried about me sending them to a cold, creepy museum to be locked up all alone, far away from home while hundreds of (well maybe a half dozen?) strangers ogled at him. I reassured him (or her), the museum would be in my own home and that they would never be locked up - even if they were placed in a display case. I would always let them out to roam, play, and even party after "working hours."

Gene "The Tonguey Cone" Simmons got all upset and started hollering, "Did he look like an old museum piece?!?? Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones yeah! but me?!?" Ace Frehley and Peter Criss just looked mildly bemused at Gene's antics.

The Conas Brothers just looked at each other and mouthed, "What is a museum? Are there cute chicks there?"

The Beauty Queens were all for the idea - they said, "We look so fabulous, people will want to come for miles to see us!"

Cappy Cone wouldn't come out of the bathroom long enough to talk to me. Ever since he's become a teenager, he spends an inordinate amount of time in there doing gosh knows what, and it's not singing in the shower...

Reuben Kincone just squealed like a little kid. I think he was all for the idea if he could make a buck off of it.

However, I got a big assist from Multo-Cone who looked up some things in his Multipedia and said, "Iggy, you know, one of the informational placards for the museum could explain why us orange cones are the color we are." I asked him what he meant, and he produced this -

Safety orange is a hue. Its deeper, more saturated shade is known as international orange. Safety orange is used to set objects apart from their surroundings, particularly in complementary contrast to the azure color of the sky (azure is the complementary color of orange, and therefore there is a very strong contrast between the two colors). The color is commonly used for traffic cones (and their ugly, contemptible cousins, barrels).

Now to see if I can get a grant for the museum - even if it discriminates against barrels.

17 comments:

Parsley said...

Love them all. My DD is inspired by your cone antics...hehehe :-D

Matty said...

You never know. I'm sure there is a niche for those who like cones. A museum just might be the thing. But you'll have to research how to tell the gender of a cone.

betty said...

LOL on Matty's comment about genders of cones, now I too am curious......how do we know that they are the Jonas Brothers as opposed to the Pointer Sisters? I like your museum idea, Iggy; I think it would be very popular and well attended, at least by fellow blogging friends!!

hope it is warming up there a bit and your shoulder is doing better and you are taking care of yourself!

betty

Anonymous said...

LOL I loved this post it was good to laugh. I always love seeing the cones :o) HUGS!!

Heather said...

Very nice museum display and very nice antics to go with it! Have you settled on an admission price yet? Definitely one of a kind!

AliceKay said...

Cute post. :)

Martha said...

I am sure people would come from near and far to see a museum of OCH.

jewelrybyrebecca said...

Nice. I'm glad to see you are keeping busy as you work on recovering. Setting up a museum is great motivation to get that shoulder feel'n Oh so fine.

yellowdoggranny said...

makes me feel bad I've never been able to find one to send to you.sigh*

sugarlens said...

haha, cute post. Love your growing collection.

Rita said...

Well, these days--no worries--you can have a cyber museum and they can all stay safe and sound at home with their favorite human. :):)

Fun to see them all together--the whole orange gang. And they do look especially nice against a blue sky. :)

Anonymous said...

You may not want to mention the barrel descrimination when applying for the grant! ;)

LadyStyx said...

I suspect finding the gender of the cones is much the same method as the ones they use for determining gender in chickens, gator and any number of critters with their sets tucked up and inside ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick_sexing

Nice collection you have there. So glad they're allowing Sponge Bob to hang out with them.

Pamela said...

I thought I commented -- but maybe I'm a conehead.

Anonymous said...

Peeks my head in....Hey Iggy miss you my friend I hope all is well HUGS

Deanna said...

I've been seeing ORB's and OCHA's everywhere but you, dear man, are MIA. Hope you are doing ok. Miss you!

Far Side of Fifty said...

people will come from miles around to the cone museum..I am sure of it:)