Saturday, January 15, 2011

When People Get Bored...


A northern Michigan woman put a novel touch on Leonardo da Vinci's The Last Supper by making a replica out of laundry lint. (Anthony Scipio/Ripley Entertainment Inc.)

Laura Bell of Roscommon collected lint from her dryer and fashioned it into a 4.3-metre-by-1.2-metre (14 feet by 4 feet) reproduction of the Italian Renaissance painter's masterpiece.

Bell says she needed about 800 hours to do enough laundry to get the lint, and 200 hours to recreate the mural. Her artwork has caught the eye of Ripley's Believe It or Not! The company plans to put it on display at one of its museums.

“For some people, it’s a very spiritual experience,” said Bell. “Others are simply amazed at what someone could do with basic laundry lint.” Ripley's said it also has Last Supper replicas on a grain of rice, a dime and burned toast.

- Source -

Hmm... What great masterpiece can I make from bits of Orange Cones? I've got time on my hands with the Stupor Bowl weekend coming up.

21 comments:

betty said...

all I can say is very clever on her part! actually I'm speechless. But it is nice she will be recognized by Ripley's for her achievements!

enjoy Sunday!

betty

Queenie Jeannie said...

Wow! Pretty amazing but I can't imagine doing it!!

AliceKay said...

That's pretty cool. She did an amazing job.

(looks like someone was up pretty late tonight)

Anonymous said...

Wow now there is someone with a lot of patience for one thing and of course an amazing talent that is wonderful how she did that and to even think of it. I think it is great that it will be at Ripleys but it sure looks good enough to be in one of those fancy museums also :o) thanks for sharing with us Iggy and I sure hope you are feeling better HUGS

Parsley said...

I can see you making something SUPER from orange cones!

You know what? My family always watches for them now and we all think of you and your blog :-D

Rita said...

Wow! And I can't even draw--hehe! The practical side of me would have found a way to dye or paint the lint rather than be buying and washing towels separately--but then, she did it naturally, I guess. ;)

Cones....hummm? What could you make with cones? A replica of The Thinker? David? Venus De Milo? :):)

[Stupor Bowl! You crack me up! I don't watch sports, so that's what it is for me--ROFL!]

Anonymous said...

Cones = Eiffel Tower, complete with Parisian backdrop. =)

Martha said...

I saw that on the news this morning!

Deanna said...

Invert them over big clown feet and create a circus - big tent and all! Or some yummy looking icecream cones would hit the spot.

The art work is amazing, but it didn't make much sense to me to do that! LOL

Hope you are having a wonderful Sunday. I will be finding things to keep me busy during the stupor bowl... probably playing on the computer!

yellowdoggranny said...

oh man..get a life lady..
reminds me of H.Allan Smith..years ago he made a comment that belly button lint was probably the softest stuff made..and would make a great pillow..and people for years and years were sending him the lint from their belly for him to make a pillow.

jmt said...

How oh how can I bring you around to football???

Oh, wait...the lint replica? It's cool too. :)

What's with people and burning their toast to find images? Strange.

Anonymous said...

Well, whatever makes people happy. ;)

I think you could make all sorts with bits of orange cone. Especially if you have some paint on hand for any parts you don't want left orange.

Heather said...

It is pretty, but I'm way to lackadaisical about getting my laundry done to collect the correct colors of lint let alone enough of it. But we each get special gifts. It's cool to see someone use free media to create a piece of artwork.

Furry Bottoms said...

I did see this on the news myself! I couldn't believe it. That is one expensive piece of art-- the soap, the water, the gas or electricity it takes to wash and dry all those towels. Wow.

Lickety Splitter said...

I'm amazed by creative people! She certainly must have a passion for lint and art!

tattytiara said...

I can't help but wonder what it cost in terms of towels and electricity to run the dryer to make.

Yankee Girl said...

Some people are so scrappy!

I would never have thought to do anything like that!

And now I am looking at my garbage can full of lint in a whole new way....

Pamela said...

saw that in the news. She really had to separate her laundry for sure.. otherwise it all is the same color when it comes off the line capture.

Hey Izzy.. how about trying to make one with belly button lint.

Someone gave my brother a small pottery jar that says Belly Button Lint Collection on his dresser

Far Side of Fifty said...

LOl re Pam..belly button lint..oh what could you do with those cones..I know a Bridge:)

MarmiteToasty said...

I hear her next project is made from belly button fluff :)

x

Annesphamily said...

When I was a teen I made a rice painting of Michae Nesmith from the Monkees! That was such an accomplishment for me but lint!? Holy macaroni! That is some serious I have nothing to do time! Hee Hee Very lovelky outcome though. Anne