...a beach in which, legend claims, Blackbeard the Pirate buried his blood-drenched treasure as he lived in a house located a short distance out of town.
After a somewhat rough and exciting day's cruise across the Pamlico Sound and down the Neuse River in windy, overcast weather, we reached port just as it began to gently rain. After tying up at the dock, a brand new sailboat pulled in beside us and a sharp bark was heard - A Corgi bound for the Bahamas announced her presence aboard the "Mandalay". I was later able to pat her as she regally strolled across the Oriental Marina and Inn's lawn for her evening post-prandial "duties".
She reminded me of a friend of mine and was the highlight of a most invigorating day.

Looking eastward to the sea
There's a Burma gal a settin'
And I know that she waits for me
And the wind is in those palm trees
And the temple bells they say
Come you back you mother soldier
Come you back to Mandalay, come you back to Mandalay
Come you back to Mandalay
Where the old flotilla lay
I can hear those paddles chonkin'
From Rangoon to Mandalay
On the road to Mandalay
Where the flying fishes play
And the dawn comes up like thunder
Out of China across the bay
Ship me somewhere east of Suez
Where the best is like the worst
And there ain't no ten commandments
And a cat can raise a thirst
And those crazy bells keep ringing
'cause it's there that I long to be
By the egg foo young pagoda
Looking eastward to the sea
- Rudyard Kipling as sung by Frank Sinatra

There is a small fleet of Shrimp boats in Oriental. Boats like the "James T. Gillikin", named for a long time member of the North Carolina Fisheries Association and reknown boatbuilder on the Eastern Seaboard.
Later that evening, the rain tapered off and I was able to walk around the quiet streets of this most pleasant town.

The next day, November 4th, while enroute from Oriental to Beaufort, I saw a pair of Dolphin gracefully jump from the water in front of the boat - and after a short time looking for them to resurface, I was pleasantly surprised by the sound of a big splash right off the boat's port (left for you landlubbers) side. The two Dolphin I had spotted were part of a larger group of about six. For the next fifteen minutes or more, they joined me, playing in the bow wave of the boat, racing along and leaping into the air to grab a breath of air.

They reminded me of a friend of mine - and were the highlight of my birthday.

17 comments:
too cute with the corgi! wow what an adventure she was having aboard her sailing ship! and I think God gave you a wonderful gift with those dolphins on your birthday!! that must have been awesome to observe!!
all in all, I think North Carolina was a good little interlude for you Iggy :)
(and that corgi looked so cute on the boat!!! I'm thinking it looked more tan than tri colored like a certain corgi I know :)
betty
Watching dolphins race along next to your boat--ahhhh! What a wonderful birthday present. When I was a kid on vacation down in the Florida Keys we had a dolphin pod follow along with our boat for quite a long time and it's something so beautiful and graceful that you never forget. I suppose you have seen it more often with as much as you love the water, but for me it was once. And once seeing a huge wild stingray. Awesome!
We were thinking of you on your birthday. :):)
Wow!! I love watching dolphins play!! Great shots!
Doggy sailor... How cute!
That's a great way to spend your birthday... Watching dolphins! :)
This made me smile!
This post definitely made me smile. :) I loved seeing those dolphin pics. They kept you company on your birthday. How special is that? :)
I wondered why there was a town in North Carolina named Oriental, and now I know. :)
I noticed a few of your pics in Flickr showed some pretty choppy waters. When I saw them I thought to myself....instant seasickness. LOL I'm glad you made it safely to port.
I can't wait to read more stories from your adventure. Have a great day. *hugs*
Glad you didn't go overboard! Thanks for using left and right for this landlubber. Now if I just knew where the front of the boat is... (just kidding).
Those dolphins dancing for you on your birthday is a special treat.
Did you search for any of Blackbeard's treasure?
Not to knock Oriental, North Carolina's somewhat exotic name, but I personally like Smith's Creek better. But hey, that's just the native southerner in me.
Dolphins are divine! I love it when they come out to play!
What a wonderful experience.
Thanks for sharing those photos!!!
I've said this to you a few times I'm sure, but I'll have to say it again. You are a wealth of information!
Dolphins are amazing creatures, aren't they?
Happy Birthday to you. :)
you make me feel like I was right there with you.
I love it when you find dogs aboard ships! I'm glad you had a great time.
More sailboats than people? How does that happen?
Those are amazing pics of the dolphins. Whenever I have been close enough to get a photo of a dolphin, it always goes back underwater before I have time to snap the pic.
Lucky you to be able to witness the dolphins..I have seen them..but not in many years..and then they were just frolicking in the Gulf. (too poor for a proper boat for them to chase):)
I can't think of a nicer birthday blessing than flying dolphins. How wonderful!
Oh my goodness I wish I was on that boat when the dolphins were with you I would have been squealing with delight LOL Im so glad you got to do all that Iggy I bet it was so much fun :o) HUGS
was the corgi accompanied by a queen :) cos the queen of England has corgis :)
oh how I love to see dolphins, I saw them once when island hopping around the Greek Isles many years ago...
Im so very sorry I missed your birthday... deeply sorry...
so hugs and snogs belatedly for your birthday...
x
Post a Comment