A place, where even though no one knows you - you feel like you belong there?
You feel like you've stepped out of the pressures of being a responsible adult and feel like ... well... like you've just entered the gates of Disney World, and the place is closed to everyone except you and whoever you invited for the day?
Belhaven, North Carolina, a small town lies along the banks of Pantego Creek and the Pungo River, is such a place for me.
A typical "Main Street, U. S. A." small town, Belhaven has hosted an annual 4th of July parade and celebration for over fifty years and the Chamber of Commerce brags about it proudly when you stop in at its varnished wood train station built years ago and offers you a free t-shirt leftover from this year's parade.
On the second floor of the historic city hall building, the Belhaven Memorial Museum offers visitors a view of the eclectic collections of Mrs. Eva Blount Way. Gathered in the early 1900s as a means of raising money for the American Red Cross, they include an eight-legged pig, an exhibit of dressed (but very dead) fleas and over 30,000 buttons or varying colors and shapes.
The best known home in town is a grand Southern Plantation - and has a porch that has chairs and ice tea for the asking... is renown for it's Oyster Fritters.. and is oh-so-comfortable... and has a Boat Marina tucked in behind it?
It was 9 years and 3 months ago when I first visited this town. I was on a boat going from a little way south of Jacksonville, Florida and heading north to Oxford, Maryland on the Tred Avon River in the upper reaches of the Chesapeake Bay. This was an experience of a lifetime - over 1,200 miles by boat, where I navigated, minded the helm, tended the docking lines, and arranged places to refuel and overnight.

That first trip, which occurred just a month before the nastiness that took place September 11, 2001 changed the world, was a three and a half-week long expedition proving to myself, that I could be self-reliant, and make critical decisions -
I remember cruising into past the breakwater that protects the town's waterfront from the more than occasional gale-force winds and the accompanying white capped waves... The sky was dark that evening, the threat of an evening shower was in the air and the day's cruise had been a long one - the thought of tying up for the night and having a hot shower and some tasty food urged us along and we speedily refueled, and tied down the boat for the night.

We stayed at the River Forest Manor and Marina... it sounded deliciously off-beat when I read about it in the by now, well worn guidebook...
"Started in 1899 by John Aaron Wilkinson, President of a successful local lumber company and Vice-President of the Norfolk & Southern Railroad, and Italian craftsmen were called in to carve the ornate ceilings, and by 1904, the mansion was complete – with carved oak mantels for each of the eleven fireplaces, sparkling cut glass leaded into windows, crystal chandeliers glittering from the ceilings, tapestry placed above the mahogany wainscoting in the dining room and two baths so large that they included oversized tubs for two..."
The dining room was made into a restaurant and the bathroom's made available to marina guests.
After getting soaked by that evening shower while riding a loaned golf cart down the town streets back from the Food Lion grocery store with fresh bread and vegetables, the subsequent luxuriant shower followed by the taste of a true southern cooked meal (cooked by someone else for a change) soon had me snoring, contently in my berth.
I only had a short stay there the first time - but thoroughly enjoyed the place - and this time - the wind came up, threatening a rough boat ride - so we opted to stay there an extra day - surely we couldn't risk the expensive one-of-kind boat in broad reaches of the river if the wind was howling 25-30 mph.

So I wandered through the empty (of cars) streets of town and visited the Belhaven Memorial Museum, home of Mrs. Way's rather bizzare collection of "things, where I spotted this picture. The woman was Norman Cordon's mother, according to the penciled tag scotched taped to the bottom of the picture - a governess (are there still such things as governesses?), music teacher of Mrs Way's children and oh-so-lovely.
:)

The sunset that night was spectacular - the weather while windy was pleasant - behind the breakwater, the boat was gently rocked that night by the waves and I once again, snored contently in my berth.

I felt ... not only like I was "home again" but reinvigorated and once again .. alive. I don't know why Belhaven does this to me. I felt safe, comfortable, welcomed, and wanted. It was such a nice feeling after living alone at home for so long now and being alone at work for the last 3 months.
Since I got home - I've not felt right... edgy and out of sorts... I blamed it on the time change... but I really don't think so. I think it's nearly time to do something about how I'm living my life ... to move to another place - to a place that makes me feel "right" even if there isn't any reason why it should... and I've no idea what I would do once I got there.

21 comments:
You do what you feel is right, Iggy. No one can tell you what you should do. You just gotta dig deep inside and find out yourself. If Belhaven is the place that makes you feel alive and feel "at home", maybe now is the time to consider your options.
The sunset picture is so beautiful...even after seeing it a fourth time. :)
The picturesque River Forest Manor looks like a beautiful place to rest. Looking forward to more of your stories, kiddo.
*hugs to you*
All we can really do is listen to our heart - really listen - and hope that it steers us the right way. If you keep ignoring, that gut feeling will only get louder. I wish you the best if you decide to jump out there and try something new. If anything, you should live someplace that makes you happy to be alive and brings some excitement back.
Can't wait to hear how this develops. Scared and unsure as you might be, it's still an adventure and who knows what will pop into your life once you put yourself in an entirely new environment.
wow. just reading this made me want to move there, too.
And reading this made me miss writing -- (it will happen eventually ??.. )
I picture you sort of blowing into town like that lady in "Chocolat"
my gosh it is such a beautiful area!! I can see why you would be drawn to it Iggy! I know you will make the right decision for yourself but I'm thinking it is worth at least a few thoughts and a few plans to see if it could really truly work there!
betty
What a wonderful place, Iggy!!! You've got a case of wanderlust and the siren's call won't be ignored! Are you perhaps about to begin a Grand Adventure???? We all wait to hear more and encourage you every step of the way!!
I agree. Follow your heart, ask for guidance, and trust your gut feelings as to what is right for you. Because of the Internet, no matter where any of us go we can always stay connected. :)
It looks like a glorious place to live. Maybe it is meant to be? Let us know what you decide. :):)
Wonderful post Iggy and the little history lesson. Beautiful pictures and it makes me want to be there too :o) I hope you are having a good week HUGS
Oh Iggy ... do I ever know how you feel. I get that "out of sorts" feeling after returning home from being on vacation. Have you ever thought of becoming a boat captain for a living? That would put you around more people. My cousin who lives in Savannah, just married a boat captain ;)
Sounds like you are challenging yourself to an adventure. Good for you. And seriously....I think you need to visit a shelter and adopt another sweet dog to go on that adventure with you.
Anytime you want to visit my boring state, come on....
What a great storyteller you are. I can feel your passion for this (what must be a) beautiful place.
Sometimes you just have to listen to your gut even if you don't understand the "why". Follow your heart!
Follow your heart, Iggy. If it's time, then it's time. You deserve to be happy, so go do what makes you happy. I think you would be really happy living near the water someplace, and if Belhaven is it, why not?
And I second what Parsley said. Visit a shelter! Have someone be by your side as you go on this next part of your journey.
I think going on adventures is a very important part of life. This would be a great adventure for you and just may be what you need to add a spring to your step.
And I love the idea that people are throwing around to take a pup with you. It might be time to kiss those PA winters goodbye.
Shhh...next you know you will stuck with all of us here! LOL! But truthfully this was a beautiful post. Blessings to you today. Anne
I think in some of the posher parts of England they still have governesses... Not as many as they used to though, because all the upper class families "used to" have them. But I'm sure they're still around.
Anyway...
If you feel that it's the right thing for you to do, then go for it! Like I was told recently when trying to make my own decission, "grab oppertunities with both hands, and don't let things slip away from your grasp if there's a chance you might regret letting it slip away."
Sending hugs and hoping the sun is shining brightly on you today. *hugs*
It looks like a beautiful place, since you have felt the same way before about this place in North Carolina perhaps it is meant to be...if it is it will keep nagging at you..calling your name..:)
Are you ready to move on, to leave Pennsylvania? Only you know for sure.
Years ago I would have called it wanderlust..or itchy feet.
Lovely wistful post..:)
Either way it's okay, you wake up with yourself.
To think I almost missed this post while out wandering myself. The Missouri Ozarks (deep Ozarks, not just the fringes of it where I live) call me in so many ways. So do the Appalachian Mountains. I wish I were brave enough to follow those dreams.
You need to follow your heart and do what is best for you. The rest will take care of itself. If you are happy, you are going to be healthier. The area sounds very peaceful. The photos certainly are.
Huge hugs!
It sounds like you have really found a place that you love. It is very beautiful there! Exploring new places and meeting new friends would be very exciting! And you could take all of us along with you! :)
NYC is that place for me. I love the excitement and energy. You could come visit and Dorkys and I could take you for cupcakes! ;)
Always a Great write by U. Is there still such a thing as a Governess, Get Married IgGy and you'll find out in a hurry. lol. You too live in a very intersting state.(state of mind that is) lol you and Deanna always have something good to write about, i do try to read a lot of the blog's from everybody.ilike to look at the pictures where you vist and live.I always think of the guys that used to do Duck hunting down that way.That was a huge sport at one time. Thanks Again IggY . Y O P JR
I always felt that way..I'd blame it on the Air Force living..but truth be told I liked to travel and going to different places..until I came to West..fell it love and never fell out.
Post a Comment