
My dad's maternal grandfather, William McClurken worked as a delivery driver for a hat manufacturer. While I do not know what exactly he delivered, I know he hitched up his horse-drawn wagon early each day and took it through the streets of Philadelphia in an area known as Kensington, which lies just north of the central historic and market district. Later, he was to drive one of the very first of the "newfangled" gasoline powered trucks.
My Grandfather tells me that the streets "back then" were crowded with horse-drawn wagons and that several times a day, mobs of men would descend on the streets to clean up after the horses and that it was a glorious day when the eye-watering stench was no longer in the air and its cause, no longer underfoot.
Tragically, my great-grandfather was to die in a "newfangled" truck when he stalled one at a railroad crossing and was hit by on-rushing steam locomotive. I have a set of "ghostly" pictures showing the aftermath of the accident. He left behind a young and growing family which included my grandmother, My grandmother's older brother, merely a teenager at the time, out of desperate necessity, went to work as a delivery driver for the same hat manufacturer.
The hat manufacturer? Well, I'm sure you've heard of them. It might come as a surprise to you though...

The hat manufacturer was started by a young American entrepreneur in the mid 1800’s named John Batterson Stetson. John B. Stetson was one of 12 children and was born in 1830 in Orange, New Jersey. John B. hated the cold weather and chilly rain since made his tuberculosis worse. In 1859, on his doctor’s advice, the 24 year-old John B. moved out West.
By the 1860’s, John B. was panning for gold in Colorado but he found the rugged life made him sicker. One day, he was trapped in the mountains and threatened by sudden rainstorms and howling winds, and his clothing didn't keep him warm and dry. He noticed how beavers’ pelts repelled water in streams, so he trapped a few and created a thick fur felt that he used to make a hat.
His father, who taught John B. how to make felt in the first place, also taught him that a big air pocket between the top of the head and the hat's crown created a cushion of warm air that kept the head warm. Outdoor western living taught him that a hat had to have a wide brim to keep out the elements.
It also taught him that hauling water was vital on the frontier, so he made the inside lining of his hat waterproof. This meant it could double as a water bucket if needed. That’s how Stetson Hats got nicknamed the "10 Gallon" Hat even though they never held more than a half-gallon. Marketing hype... You got to love it.
In 1865, John B. returned to Philadelphia to open his first hat factory. With only $100 in capital, he rented a small room in the center of the city and bought tools and $10 worth of fur to make felt cloth. He was the sole employee. However, within a year, he was adding workers and making hats in quantity.
The hats were a huge hit in the growing American West. Stetson's novel idea of using traveling salesmen in 1869 created the need for more space to manufacture more hats. Another novel idea of his, to move his factory to the then quiet and largely rural Kensington area of the City, gave him the space he needed.
By 1886, Stetson owned the world’s largest hat factory and employed nearly 4,000 workers. John B. transformed hat making from a manual to a mechanized industry. The factory was putting out about 2 million hats a year by the time he died in 1906.

Though he set up his shop in Philadelphia, John B. Stetson decided to focus on serving customers in the American west to avoid competing in the cluttered east coast market. However, Stetson Hats manufactured far more than cowboy hats. The Stetson shop turned out high quality derbys, bowlers, top hats, straw boaters and the latest fashions, always packaged in unique Stetson-trademarked hat boxes.
Thus, the famous 10-gallon cowboy hat was made by the tens of millions in a Philadelphia neighborhood that became home to thousands of industrial buildings, breweries, and impoverished Irish immigrants living in rowhouses and now known as the (decayed remains of) the "Workshop of the World." It was there that the Stetson Company employed over 5,000 people and used 16 million animal pelts during its peak production period in the 1920s.
Twenty-five buildings occupied nine acres (totaling 32 acres of factory floor) and stood a few blocks away from my Grandfather's foundry. It was this close proximity that led my Grandfather to spot my very young Grandmother standing on a street corner waiting for a streetcar (trolley) one day in 1927 while driving to work which led to other things.

The Stetson plant in Philadelphia closed in 1971 following decades of slow decline. Today, nothing remains of the once mighty Stetson complex; the imposing eight-story Stetson clock tower at 4th and Montgomery burned down in 1980 and the remainder of the building was then demolished. The hats, however, are still being made today and sold from Garland, Texas.

An invoice for four hats sold to the Moise Bros. Co. in Santa Rosa, New Mexico, dated January, 31 1929. Total bill - $14.00.
http://www.workshopoftheworld.com/

18 comments:
I am in awe of the magnatude of the number of workers Stetson employed in the late 1800's and early 1900's. The history, as always, is fascinating.
We were at the Goodwill store the other day and they had a Stetson hat someone donated - displayed in a locked case! I don't remember what the cost of the hat was because it wasn't Jim's size. I know he'd love to own one. It is nothing for a stetson to cost $600 and into the thousands. Truly amazing.
That is really fascinating! I had no idea the history of the Setson. Fact is, I own one. Not a ten gallon, but I've got a ranchers hat that I wear when I head out west. Looks a little silly here in Cleveland, but damn...I'm a hot little number in it in Aspen!
:-)
Sorry to hear about your granddads unfortunate end. I have a similar story in my own family history.
Interesting post, as usual!
Your family certainly played parts in a lot of historical things. I wonder if they knew what big parts of history those things would be when they first played a part? Probably not. I mean, a lot of times it's necesity that leads people to do most of what they do in life... Like what led the stetson hat to be made in the first place.
I love the way you weaved your family's history with the Stetson hat's history. The details make history come alive!
Gotta love a man in a real hat!
Fascinating, as usual. I had no clue that Stetsons were ever made in Philadelphia--or that they were lined to carry water.
Sad how your great-grandfather died. It had to be creepy at first for the son to go work for the same company and do the same thing after that.
Love the old photos. You certainly do your research. You are the research king!! Greatly appreciated, too. :)
First off Iggy I want to say Im so sorry about how your Great Grandfather lost his life.
I absolutely loved this post though, I loved the old pictures, I always love looking at old pictures, and the history on Stetson was fun to read about too. I especially loved how your Grandfather met your Grandmother, *sighs* thanks so much for sharing, I hope you are having a good week HUGS
Oh Karl, I'm so sorry about your grandpa...that's really sad.
I'm amazed at the size of Stetson Hat Co. I would have thought they would have been made out west some place..I learn so much here.
I had no idea why the hats were called 10-gallon hats; very fascinating Iggy! I'm glad the hats are still made in America, albeit not in Pennsylvania, but glad they are made on native soil so to speak. Now I want to know the rest of the story of your grandfather meeting your grandmother; sounds like it could be an interesting story as well :)
always enjoy when you share history with us :)
betty
I'm glad you decided to post this blog, Iggy. :) I never knew the history of the Stetson hat until our conversation last night. (i thoroughly enjoyed our conversation, by the way)
I can't wait to read more interesting posts in this blog of yours, kiddo. Keep 'em coming. :)
*hugs*
You have the most interesting and historical posts! Sorry about your GGpa...sad :-( BUT interesting post and facts. Why am I thinking 'mad hatter' now.... {giggle}
Wow that's a really cool walk down history lane. I love how there is a church that appears to have been built around in the above picture. So neat that you have "Stetson Man" in your history.
Love the first picture - it would be really neat to live just a day in those times. It looks fascinating.
That is very cool!!!
Wow, I wish my family had preserved their own histories as well as yours did! Very cool about Stetons!
That was a super cool post, Iggy!!! You are the best history teacher ever!!
This was very interesting..I learn something new everyday! Great post!! :)
oh Iggy how I so love this post.... love everything about it... your family history is just so wonderful to read about how it all interacts with parts of history :)
x
I know a guy with a head so swelled of himself... I'm sure his hat would carry 10 gallons. Probably not water, tho.
I too enjoyed the intertwining of history. I did a 400 year long post when I first started blogging. Seems I've not done anything serious for awhile
Post a Comment