While searching the Internet for old pictures of seashore, I found this postcard listed on eBay. Imagine my suprise when I saw the name of the publisher. I might not of even noticed or recognised it, except that I had just oh-so-recently learned who the man was...


Location: Wildwood, N.J.
Maker: Geo. E. Mousley, Phila, Pa. Made in USA
Postmarked: Yes
Stamp: Yes
Year: 1910
Size: 3 1/2" x 5 1/2"
George Edward Mousley was a "cousin" of mine. He was born in Philadelphia, PA in 1862 and died in 1940 and is buried in Camden, NJ.
George's father came to the United States around 1845 with his father Joseph and brother Charles. The elder George is the one that went on the fishing trips with my g-g-g-father Charles that I wrote about (here).
George's father, George owned a stationary business in the heart of the Philadelphia business district. Young George however decided to branch out and start his own business so, at the age of 21, he opened up an importer, wholesaler, and retail shop selling stationary, toys, and fireworks on Germantown Avenue in what is now the "Northern Liberties" section of town (just north of center city).
His lasting claim to fame was his postcards and toys. Geo. E. Mousley, Inc. was the first to sell prepackaged Christmas Stockings filled with toys. Business was very good, and George opened a manufacturing plant in Camden, NJ and moved across the Delaware River.

When George died, the business was sold to a firm from New York, and it later moved to West Warwick, Rhode Island.

Many items, such as the Lassie "Trick Trainer" toy shown above, and "Pitch to Mickey Mantle" were made by George E. Mousley, Inc. (later known as G. E. M.)
The Lassie Trick Trainer toy was actually a set of items that a young boy or girl could use to train their dog. Lassie was first introduced in a best selling novel in 1938. She then appeared on the silver screen, went on to radio productions and finally moved on to that newfangled gadget called the television. In 1954, the Campbell’s Soup Company also of Camden, NJ, sponsored "The Lassie Show". Campbell’s was commercially involved with The Howdy Doody Show and the Mickey Mouse Club, but found a real winner with Lassie. Ultimately 35 million viewers sat before the television set on Sunday evenings watching the adventures of Lassie and having warm thoughts about Campbell’s soups and wonder if their own dogs could be trained to be just like Lassie.
In the Pitch to Mickey game, kids would try to improve their hand-eye coordination skills by trying to throw a ball into one of the four circles on the Mickey Mantle game board. Three of the four holes were outs and one of the holes scored a home rum. The playing board featured a nice photo of Mickey batting left-handed with an airbrushed Yankee pinstriped uniform. This game dates back to the early 1960s.
George had an uncle whose family ran several hotels in Wildwood, NJ named the Rosemont, the New Rosemont, and the Delwyn. I'm still checking, but I believe one of those hotels is shown in the postcard I found on eBay.
I think there will be some more interesting (to me at least) stories of the relatives. I know there was one that successfully raced wooden boats on the Saint Lawrence River and lived in Miami... I might investigate his story next.

18 comments:
I hope you are keeping a great big album/journal with all the findings you've been making these past few months!
Holy cow! You are finding out some really interesting facts and connections. You better be keeping everything in a big book. It would be so much fun to look through.
That is so COOL!!!!
Talk about it being a small world. What are the chances that you come across that postcard? Sounds like you have business in your genes Iggy. You might be the next big business mogul.
I never heard of the pitch to Mickey thing. I'm always learning something new.
What a great find.
I agree--I hope you are keeping a journal or a big box of information to pass on in the family with all these treasures and tidbits that you are unearthing. My sister is the family tree person in our family. I wonder what she is doing with all the info? hehe!
You have quite a few interesting relatives. Keep up the good work. I love to read about them and see the photos and items you've found. :):)
wow..that's so cool..the closest I came to finding a famous relative was a Roycroft was ordered to pay a $5 fine to some woman for his bastard son and 3 great uncles that got ran out of Alabama for stealing horses.
so did you make a bid on the postcard or buy it off eBay? that was very fascinating info Iggy! your digging around in your family history is really producing a lot of great "tidbits" you are sharing with us. I bet your parents are enjoying these things too!!
betty
I have the same burning question that Betty did. Did you bid on the postcard? Did you get it?
You seem to come from a family of entrepreneurs. And that horse... I am almost certain that I had one of those in the 1950's. I wish I knew for sure.
Keep these interesting posts coming.
Huge hugs!
Punkn
i can see in the future and it says,IggYs Inheritance... a fortune by Long Lost Uncle. keep looking up the family tree and maybe you'll find one.I m hopeing for ya. JuNYah
This was a really cool post. You are connected in so many ways with so many fascinating people. Keep up the research because I'll be right here reading every word you write.
Wildwood...one of my favorite places to visit. :)
I am admitting that I haven't read a word of this post. HOWEVER, I wanted to give a blog "hi" to you and let you know I'll be back to read! You're first on the list tomorrow. Right now, I'm totally pooped and need to sleep. Happy Monday!
I did not bid on the item on eBay. I am thinking I will purchase "The Wildwoods in Vintage Postcards" however from Arcadia Press. It includes dozens of Geo's postcards.
:)
That is so cool Iggy, it is gonna be so fantastic to look through all of those postcards. You are quite the investigator, HUGS
WOW very interesting family history you have..I enjoyed reading about it! I am sure I have seen that Lassie Trick Trainer..in an Antique Shop! :)
Wow!!! What are the odds of that piece of family finding its way to you? I am totally amazed!
so much family history, I am a little envious lol but obviously in a much loving way....
I am godsmacked by your find..
x
how many times can one say unbelievable.. h a ha.
Do you drop your jaw or run in place when you come across this stuff?
Hey... look for stuff about my ancestors, will ya? (:
Post a Comment