Friday, October 22, 2010

Why I Support Public TV

As many of you know, I'm a staunch supporter of Public Television. It's not just the British Comedies, Masterpiece Theater, Scientific explorations such as Nova, Nature shows, and the hours of cooking shows - its the thought-provoking broadcasts that make you think like nothing commercial television ever does.

Recently, Photojournalist Rita of Soul Comfort's Corner brought to my attention a new series I had missed, called "Independent Lens", an Emmy award-winning independent film series featuring documentaries and dramas -- a film festival in your living room. It is dedicated to an eclectic group of film makers exploring some fringe areas of the human condition. Or not-so-human condition.

a man with no shirt on stands in a parking lot with his arms, legs, and head stuck in orange cones

The same man with another parking lot attendent trying to lasso him with a heavy rope

successfully lassoed the other attendent smiles and laughs

Somehow, I think I've missed my calling - I should have been an Independent Film Maker - somehow though, I think my attempts to film orange cones fondly known as OCHAs such as this attempt (here) would have required me to err.. ah lets say, expose myself to a genre of music described as "porno music" when I laid in the sound track.

I don't think that would be PBS material...

15 comments:

Matty said...

Iggy, making cone movies would be right up your alley. You're a natural.

Parsley said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Furry Bottoms said...

I was going to ask you how we could know that it wasn't you under those orange cones... but nevermind! :)

yellowdoggranny said...

I love Independent lens..they had one on there called lost boys? something like that..about young boys sold to older Arabian men to 'dance for them.'...which is what the do for the men..and then it's just horrible..some of them end up dead..rapped and killed..just heartbreaking.

Rita said...

I just LOVE PBS! How could you have missed Independent Lens, Iggy? I'm so glad you loved the photos. I have uploaded a short video on the cone flipping game the bored parking lot attendants also play--from that same show (The Parking Lot Movie). You aren't supposed to be able to put up TV shows on youtube, so I won't leave it up long--or they won't.

http://www.youtube.com/user/soulcomfort1?feature=mhum

Enjoy, my friend!!
Always, Rita

PS I saw the one on the dancing boys, too. so sad. They have such interesting things on IndieLens!

Anonymous said...

A cone doc would fit on IL, definitely!

betty said...

the "cone man" is sooo very interesting....sadly I don't watch much TV, but hear a lot of it in the background while I'm blogging (one day in a perfect world I'll own the remote and then I can keep it on one channel instead of following three or four different shows at the same time; I think that's why I don't watch much TV :)

enjoy the weekend, Iggy; and if you ever made a cone movie or cone documentary, I would definitely see them :)

betty

MarmiteToasty said...

Placing my hand over my mouth so as to stiffle my laughter LOL

oh and I was soooooo a geek last night... gone midnight and I was fasinated by a programme on our telly bout old train journeys, but this was not just any old train or journey it was a programme about the first circus trains over in doodleland right up to the circus trains of nowadays.... and as knackered as I was I couldnt turn it off, all the old footage was just wonderful... and the whole programme was just fasinating.... I never knew the still have them circus trains today :)

x

Anonymous said...

OMG Iggy I needed a laugh so much and when I read your post I definitely got it, thanks so much, I absolutely loved this post, your so funny hehehe HUGS Hope you have a great weekend!

AliceKay said...

I'm speechless. LOL

Anonymous said...

There will be a channel somewhere that would be all over your cone documentary. Despite the... Erm... Not so child friendly music and theme atatched to some of the scenes. ;)

Lickety Splitter said...

I too love PBS! I love the documentaries, the history shows, the science shows, the gardening shows, and the list goes on.

sugarlens said...

Luke would agree 100% with you on your first paragraph. And we watched this episode on Friday night. Very interesting.

Pamela said...

Yours would be much better than that... I'm convinced.

LadyStyx said...

*laughin*