This weekend, thanks to Lynn over at Ramblin' Southern Woman who arranged it, he managed to get away from the endless press releases and marketing headaches to join me on the Chester River for a couple days a float.
Reuben, being used to being in command, immediately wanted to check out the helm and see which direction the ship was heading and at what speeds. I had to tell him the boat was tied up at the pier.
I think he was a little disappointed, but he hollered, "Point Me In The Direction Of Albuquerque!" I shrugged and pointed westward and didn't bother to tell him Albuquerque was in the middle of the desert.
He then checked out the galley, saying, "All that sea air makes a man really hungry!" As I got busy with the food preparations, I could have sworn he was whistling, "Whale Song" and believe me, I was very happy it wasn't "I Think I Love You!"
Unfortunately, Reuben is just a short little guy. For him, "It`s A Long Way To Heaven" or at least two or three feet further than it is for the rest of us. I had to get him a couple thick Waterman's Guides to Tying Knots books and a phonebook to sit on before he could see his plate on the table.
After a dinner high in fiber, Reuben enjoyed the novelty of a floating throne - and sang "I Can Feel Your Heartbeat" to himself while in the head. I think he was somewhat embarrassed when he had to ask me how to flush the toilet. "It doesn't have a jiggle handle, Iggy!" He was most astonished when I pressed the little black button on the far rim of the vanity - an electric toilet!
Much too excited to sleep, it was only early evening anyway, Reuben bounced up and down on his bed and hummed, since he didn't know the words to "Where Do We Go From Here?"
Suddenly I heard Reuben hollering, "Iggy! Iggy! Come here, I see a Partridge!"
I put down my bucket and sponge and double-timed it the stern of the houseboat where I saw an odd bird standing with his head hutched down on top of the old Osprey's nest. "Reuben, you silly ol' cone, that's not a Partridge, it just stands like one!"
Reuben slammed open the porthole window and told the rather surprised Heron, "Somebody Wants To Love You!"
Poor ol' Reuben ConeCaid.
I pulled him back into the boat and poured him a stiff drink of some demon rum and and joined him singing some songs between some liquid refreshments... In the late hours of the ninight, we sang a final song before putting the light out and watching the Milky Way in the night sky reflect off the still waters as our eyelids became heavier and heavier...
And I noticed from the corner how all alone she stood
Underneath the lamplight, an angel in disguise
Lonely little runaway with teardrops in her eyes
Crazy little rag doll, her hair was wild and tossed
And I put my arm around her, `cause I knew that she was lost
She didn`t seem to notice that anyone was near
Till suddenly she turned to me and whispered in my ear
Point me in the direction of Albuquerque
I want to go home, and help me get home
Point me in the direction of Albuquerque
I need to get home, need to get home
Showed me a ticket for a Greyhound bus
Her head was lost in time
She didn`t know who or where she was
And anyone that helps me is a real good friend of mine
Real good friend of mine
Point me in the direction of Albuquerque
And help me get home, help me get home
Walked her to the station and kissed away the tears
Knowing I`d remember through all the coming years
Rag doll on that Greyhound who waved with all her might
Weeped against the window as the bus rolled out of sight
Point me in the direction of Albuquerque
I want to go home, and help me get home
Point me in the direction of Albuquerque
I need to get home, need to get home...
Thanks for the cool Cone Lynn!

19 comments:
Sounds like you and Reuben ConeCaid had an exciting weekend together. We should all be so lucky. LOL
LOL!! I love Reuben ConeCaid; he may be directionally challenged, but I'm thinking you two had quite an adventure this past weekend :) thanks for sharing it with us and both of you be safe!
betty
Reuben Reuben I been thinking what a gay life it would be if the girls were all transported far across the open sea....
where the hell did that come from?
Oh My!! You and Reuben had one heck of a weekend! Loved all the pictures! (That Lynn is a sweetheart!)
I think Reuben should have come with directions. What a wonderful post. Your imagination knows no bounds. Lynn has a pretty cool imagination too.
It looks like you had a nice weekend. Huge hugs!
Sounds like a fun weekend. I do love your stories. Thanks for sharing and say "Hi" to Reuben for me.
Reuben Conecaid seems to be a very laid back kinda guy. My kinda traveling companion ;) Great weather, great company and good food. What more could one want?
Its so nice when somebody's travelling with you and they're really into it, isn't it?
Electric toilet on a boat? Which brings me to this question. Where does the stuff go when you flush a toilet on the water?
Reuben is an intriguing little cone. I'm glad he got to spend some time on the boat.
Now that sounds like a wonderful weekend on the water! All I did was make cards, lol!
Sounds like the two of you had a rather exciting evening together! I bet the two of you slept really well after all that excitement!
Your so welcome Iggy, and I laughed so much over your story, you are such a great storyteller, HUGS
You and Reuben had quite a weekend. Sounds interesting and fun. Trying to get into the swing of things with our housing woes. Take care and enjoy your week. You always have an awesome story to tell. Anne
I think I would like to live on your boat ..... you are so blessed to have that 'get away'...
x
What a fun journey! For us and for you.
it could have been worse. He could have been singing "Oh Danny Bonaduce Boy"
So sad that I actually know those songs. Yeah, I'm that old.
Reuben seems more advanced than his larger counterpart. And smarter too.
What a fun, fun post! Thanks to you by the way...safety cones are now something we look for everywhere we go and if they are near a port-a-potty it's even a bigger thrill. hahahaha
*chuckles*
Oh how you know how to spill a wonderful web of words that can make anyone laugh!
Post a Comment