When growing up, I didn't see many relatives as my dad was an only child and my mother was born years after her older siblings. The very few aunts, uncles, and cousins that I had, where mostly miles away in California and Massachusetts and out of reach a day or weekend trip.
My grandfather has never spoken much about his parents or grandparents - there was what I'll call the "Great Family Argument of 1930" - an argument that led my grandfather having bitter feelings towards his parents and his parents siblings. This bitterness led to me and my brothers not knowing any of the relatives from my grandfather's side of the family - relatives that actually lived in the neighborhood.
Forgive me for babbling, I'm still trying to mentally digest this.

My great-great-uncle Russell died a few short weeks before I was born. I never knew the man.

I never met his childless, widowed wife, Mary Frances Rhoades either, despite the fact she lived nearby for many years. When I saw saw her grave marker - I saw the veteran flags and no other marker nearby. Puzzled, I figured out from the paperwork the cemetery gave me, that the flags were for her husband Russell - who has no visible gravestone. My great-grandparents and great-great-parents were also missing gravestones. A little troubled by this - I sought to learn why the stones were missing and what I could do about it. Russell, being a wounded, honorably discharged, war veteran, is qualified for a "free" gravestone from the US Government. Where is it and what happened to it?
I felt an inexplicable need to know more about the man - and I'm actually pretty ignorant when it comes to WWI. While searching for information on how the veteran's gravestone business is done, I found his application for a WWI service medal and also learned he had a "Certificate of Wound". From this, I gleaned he served in Machine Gun Company 315 of the 79th Infantry.
The Certificate of Wound was given in WWI - it predates the Purple Heart which was first given in the 1930's. A veteran with such a certificate could send it in and get a Purple Heart later on in the 1940s. Whether my g-g-uncle did this or not, I do not know - there seems to be no on-line listing of Purple Heart recipients (which must number in the hundreds of thousands, if not more).

Anyway, what little I knew of WWI was that the Meuse-Argonne offensive was the last major battle in the war, and that it was fought largely by the Americans - their first and only major combat battle in the war - the defeated Germans signing the Armistice shortly afterward. In just four short months, over 1.25 million Americans saw combat and 10% of them were casualties. 120,000 men were killed or wounded.
My g-g-uncle Russell, a member of the 79th Infantry was involved in this horrible battle.
I looked up Adolph Hitler involvement in WWI as I knew he served in it and had been wounded twice - the last time being blinded by mustard gas in Belgium - so he didn't see any American soldiers or my g-g-uncle Russell.

As horrible as the American losses were in WWI, the British, French, and German losses were far, far worse. War is a brutal way of solving differences. A family squabble can be as brutal to those involved or effected by the fall-out.
I am left mostly wondering two things -
1) Do I have enough energy to tackle the bureaucratic paper form-filling mess that getting a gravestone for Russell will entail?
2) Was my g-g-aunt Mary Frances lonely in her final years, wondering why her nephews never called?

16 comments:
That is really sad how you can have family so close but yet can be so far away. I know how that feels. You sure have been good at research though, I wouldnt even know where to begin. If you decide on the tombstone then I wish you luck and it doesnt make you crazy :o) HUGS
It's really a shame when families are strained and divided, even if the division is unavoidable and necessary.
I hope you find an easy path to realizing your wish for Russell to have a tombstone!
It's a shame when such devides occur among family. I know very well that it's often unavoidable though.
The first question only you can answer. The second, however, you will never know the answer to. Perhaps she did wonder why, but with family fudes going on, perhaps she simply put it down to a result of the arguments and didn't wonder why? There's no way of knowing.
It seems every family has tragic stories such as yours. Your recent interest in geneology has sparked a bit of interest of my own.
The story of your grandpa's family is sad.
I suspect you will at least give it a try to get the grave marker for gguncle russell. But only you can know whether you have the drive or energy to do so.
As for g-g-aunt Mary Frances - it strikes me as odd that she didn't make an effort to reach out to her nephews. You should feel no remorse hun. Your family history is what it is. There is nothing you can do to change what you didn't cause.
It might be easier than you think to get the stone. I'm sorry that your family had been divided by whatever happened in the 30s. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
I know how your family's "squabble" has troubled you, and you may never know what your Great-great Aunt Mary thought or felt in her final years. If you decide to try to get that gravestone for your great-great uncle, I'm sure you'll figure it out. Maybe it will be easier than you think. Search your heart and it might tell you what you "should" do. Good luck. *hugs*
your in luck my friend sinc e ole JR here is a American Legion Memeber and the service officer and also the service officer of the second district in Mmaine. I helped Jopete get his benifits so that he saved about 750 a month in co-pays for his meds.Finding what your looking for ,for your uncle isnt a problem. let me do some checking on things and i'll get back to you on how to go about getting that grave stone and what ever else he has comeing .. Ya ole Pal JR
If it is a healing thing for you to do for yourself, go ahead and try, but I doubt your gguncle would care if he has a gravestone now or not, to be honest. He's probably in a much better place where he's forgiven the petty arguments of earth, you know?
And your ggaunt--I am sure she well knew the family score and that she would not have held blame with the children/descendants of old family enemies. She could have contacted you guys, too--yes. And just because one may not have blood family around does not mean you haven't built your own "family" over time. Maybe she wasn't lonely? Or, if she was, that it might not be partially her own fault, too.
We each walk our own individual paths, make our own choices, carry our own crosses. It is a shame humans can choose to hold anger and resentments for lifetimes. We had a family split in my grandparents generation--a branch never to be seen or heard from again from what little we know about it. Humans. Such silly things. But you gotta love'em...you just gotta love'em. ;)
Whatever you decide I know it will be the right thing for you. But--remember--you don't have to carry the old family wounds, my dear friend. :):)
*big heartfelt hug*
my uncles were the same way..they always argued about the dumbest things and then one of them would cut the whole family off for 2-3 months and then they'd forget about it and start all over again.
I think it would be worth it to trudge thru the paper work for his head stone..go for it.
Hi Iggy, It sounds like your friend JR is just the helping hand you need to solve this dilemma.
Personally I think you have to follow through..why else were you drawn to the burial site..if not to right a wrong..
Keep us informed! :)
that was fascinating on the certificate to apply for the war medal that they had to send 60 cents to cover the cost (I'm thinking if you served in the military, cost had already been made by the one that served)
very fascinating, Iggy, the whole thing. Makes you wonder what divided the family for so long; makes you sad for relationships lost. And I wonder if your Great-great aunt knew about it?
I think it would be a great honor and perhaps closure to pursue a grave marker for Great-great uncle Russell. But leaving that up to you to decide.......
very very interesting entry, Iggy.
I hope Sunday is a restful one for you
betty
I personally think, knowing you somewhat... that you probably wouldn't rest unless you got that tombstone. I think you'd feel better having done it and have closure. That is, if I know you just a little? I could be wrong. But it would calm a lot of hearts in the process, I think. You can at least try and know that you tried.
I sometimes think that understanding war might be easier than understanding family.
Good luck getting things ironed out for you g-g-uncle.
If we can all treat family members like we treat our friends, then we wouldn't have so many family issues. I definitely have my share of family feud.
Believe me I totally understand the family falling apart due to often stubborn family members... that is why I find myself totally alone in this world, even though I have a brother not 2 miles from me, we do not really ever see each other, just in passing in our cars.... a brother that left his wife and kids to move to canada to be with someone he met on the internet and whom stopped speaking to me when my father died, as if it was my fault he died of lung cancer due to smoking for 60 years.... and a rich sister that lives in scotland and whom only ever gets in contact when she is in need of a reminder that she has a sister.... cousins that I remember from childhood but have no clue where the are now, and all the family members from my tossers Xs family also walked away from me and my 4 sons the day the X walked away, so my sons have no connections from him or his side of the family....
do you know, when I was growing up, all I ever wanted for myself when I was grown, was a loving complete family...... see, I fail at everything lol
so, I find myself totally alone except me lads, how said that there history and family just starts with me :(
know you are loved......
x
I have relatives who live across town who I never call -- and then some with whom I am very close friends
So, don't kick yourself about someone you never really knew about.
Some times blood just isnt enough to bring people together.
Post a Comment