Last night, while reading an e-mail from a dear, heartbroken, friend who lost her father to cancer Sunday morning, my phone bleated, I had just gotten a text message from my Mom.
"Rough day today, Molly is no longer with us."

Molly enjoying a late autumn day in a warming sun. She was a happy, gentle soul. Content to just be with you at your side.

Molly got a little hard of hearing in her last years, so she slept at the backdoor so no one came or went without her knowing it. She wanted to be able to greet her family warmly when they arrived.

On the way home from work last night, it was drizzling lightly when I saw the clouds begin to thin and the sky brighten towards the west, so I pulled in to the parking lot at the Methacton Mennonite Church ... As I got out of the car, the sun broke through the overcast and was setting through the huge canopy of the 375+ year old Methacton Oak, casting a weird sort of light on the almost as ancient cemetery this magnificent tree towers over.
I walked the rows of gravestones rather aimlessly, looking for "Rittenhouse" and saw the many "Heebner"s and "Detwielers". All early settlers in my area.
Was the odd light...telling me something?
I felt uneasy, as if some mumbled voice was saying something, but I could not call it up to the forefront of my jumbled thoughts. Was it saying, "Some bad news is on the way"? or was it saying, "The dreary gloom will break and the sun will shine again - take courage"?
This morning, things are a little better - someone successfully carved a pumpkin, someone recently bravely conquered a leaf monster making me very proud of her. Another person, in the throes of ending a bad relationship, got a very cool job. And best of all, a certain kid named Ryan videoed antics cracked me up.

There are many kinds of shifting light, the brightening gloom, the clear sunshine drifting through puffy clouds, the pink colored sunset fading to violet and blackness, and there is a light that comes from within us and shines with various levels of intensity - depending on our moods.
Today, my feeble, flickering light shines through the colored lenses of another's handiwork... the combination of light and glass glows softly as I hope to offer comfort to those that are grieving, both family and friends... as well as those that are troubled... I haven't the ability to do much more - and must take leave for a while - but you will be with me - and as surely as you see orange cones on your daily path, I will see you through the many things that remind me of all of you.
Take care and see you soon -

31 comments:
I am so sorry for the loss of Molly. It is extremely hard to loss a beloved pet.
And you're right, enough is enough. Things have to start looking up around here. October had been such a difficult month for so many people. Things have to get better soon.
And they will.
Thanks for being a great friend to me after I lost my mind. It really means so much to me. I just hope I can be there for you as well.
SOBBING!!! Oh I'm so very sorry about your loss of Molly. SOOOOOB!
IG...I think you and I are alike in one aspect...we care so much for others that sometimes their burdens add up to our own sadness.
Go for a walk with us in the beautiful sunlight shining on the fall leaves. Hear the whisper of hope and joy in the wind. Sometimes it takes more effort to find peace in troubled times but know I'm there...we are there...walking with you.
Thanks for your heart of gold. Rest, re-group, and reach out. Don't let the glooms get to you as they started to get to me. We can fight it!
Again....SOOOO sorry for your loss.
Oh hun, I'm so sorry you lost Molly. What a blow. Seeing that brought tears to my eyes. I know how you and your mom and dad loved her. I understand your need to get away. Just please don't stay away too long. You are always missed.
In answer to your question, yes I still have good hearing in my other ear. I threw my pity party and now I'm over it. I'm tough and will suck it up. That is the way I roll. Thank you for you always kind words. You are a great source of comfort.
Please take care of yourself. Huge huge hugs.
Punkn
Goddess bless Molly. I believe in my heart the Goddess swooped down and took her so she could romp and play with her. Probably chasing the blue cats...
no matter the storm there is always sunshine after.
I was very sorry to read about Molly. (you didn't tell me that part last night) I know she will be missed by you all. Molly is no longer here on earth where you can pet her or walk with her, but she's waiting for you in a place free from pain, with ears that can hear and eyes that can see. She will wait for you. I promise.
I was also saddened to hear of your friend's father's passing. I know it hit you hard.
You take care of yourself, have a wonderful trip (if you can), and have a very Happy Birthday. I'll be keeping you in my daily thoughts and I will miss you deeply. *HUGS*
So sorry to hear about Molly. Loosing a pet is a heartbreak that can stay with you for a long time.
Listen to what Parsley said. Take care of YOU.
I am so sorry for your loss of Molly. That is such a difficult thing to deal with. They are a huge part of the family. :( And now I am crying like I do for the SPCA commercials. Please take care of yourself.
It is so hard when so much goes wrong at once. Yesterday my coworker's daughter who has cancer was told she was going to be let go from her job for missing too much work...and along with it lose her insurance. What can you even say to that when sorry isn't going to help pay her medical bills.
:( ...
Things will get better my friend! It will just take time to heal and please give my thoughts to your parents over the loss of your beloved Molly.
I'm sorry to hear about Molly, and alsso your friend's Father. :(
There does seem to be an awful lot of bad news lately... *Sigh*... Hang in there everyone, and look for those rays of sunshine... Let them light up your life whenever they try to, and remember those moments when the hour seems darkest, and the memory of the sunshine is needed most!
awwww... so sad.
but I'm always encouraged when I think about the wonderful life a certain pet had ...
not many dogs and cats get the love and devotion that so many of our blogging friends have for pets. WE are all blessed
Your post reminded me of the time my sisters husband and dog died within the same week... saying goodbye
Molly led a good and loving life, her imprint will forever be on your spirit and your family's. I am sorry for your loss.
I agree, its been a rough time for lots of people, and in my case... I thank you for being a pillar of strength through your friendship. You're an awesome guy. Have a great break and come back to us soon!
((((((((((Iggy)))))))))))))) so sorry to hear about dear Molly.... I still have such a pain in my soul from losing my dear Ambrose Cat of 15 years just a few weeks ago....
But, I have some wonderful be it late news to share with you, it might make you smile, hopefully, its what has kept me going through a VERY VERY difficult 4 or 5 months when I have very nearly lost my house and everything else along with it... including my hope....
I so need to blob about whats been happening since Ive been AWOL.... just cos I aint really been 'with the programme' it doesnt mean I dont think of you and our little family every single day, and thats no word of a lie.... I just tend to 'button down the self protection hatches' when I have things going on...
will share soon....
so sorry again about Molly....
love you dear Iggy..
x
Im so sorry about your beautiful Molly Iggy, I wish I was close so you get a warm caring hug :o) My heart was breaking while reading this post and tears filled my eyes. I completely understand about your break, but I am gonna miss you so much. I hope you do well and have happiness while on your break and get rest and peace in your heart, just know you are loved Iggy and you have so many friends that will be here when you are ready to return to bloggy world, HUGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
The light is with you, my friend. Your heart is just so big and you have so much empathy that you start to take on others pain and worry. Rest, travel, refresh your soul. :)
Sweet Molly will be remembered. She'll live in those private spots in your hearts that will always glow when you think of her. My heart goes out to all of you and to everyone who has been suffering losses and hurdles.
Storms and darkness pass. They are as much a part of our own emotional weather as nature's. We have as much a right to be sad sometimes as we do to be joyous. Take some time to refuel, watch or read something funny, spend some time outside, and relax. You are obviously loved and cared about by many good people. There's a very good reason for that. You. :):)
I'm so very sorry about Molly. =*(
You will be missed, but I know you will be back. I will never, ever again see a cone without smiling and thinking of you my blogging friend.
(((Iggy and family))) I'm so sorry; Molly looked like such a sweet gentle dog and I am sure a wonderful member of the family and will be missed so very much. take care of yourself Iggy; give yourself time to mourn, grief, re-group and remember how very special you are to so many people. We await your return and hope it is a short time you will be gone
betty
I'm so sorry to hear this. :(
I completely get it, but I'm still sad, about the leave. It seems things go in cycles and right now lots of blog spots are having some sort of down cycle.
I didn't even snap a single photo for Funny Faces. I guess I'll dig into archives.
Take care. Enjoy. Smile. :)
Yeah, long week and mine was only a four-day long one. Thank you so much for the thoughts. Toby is still in my care though. Was supposed to be picked up tonight and I'm still waiting. A part of me is dreading the moment when I have to give him away and the other wants to get it over with so I can start dealing with missing him.
I'm sending hugs your way too, Iggy.
Awww, what a truly touching post.
So sorry for the loss of Molly. I also have a dog named Molly.
It seems that when it rains, it pours. I'm sorry to hear about all of this Iggy. Even pets are family members and their loss is felt much the same. I hope all works out well.
I have many pictures of that oak tree. And I recently stopped and took pictures of some traffic cones as I thought of you.
I'm sorry to hear about Molly. Losing a family pet IS really hard. Pets give true unconditional love.
We'll be here awaiting your return!
:-)
{{{hugs}}}
Hullo dear Iggy. I am very sorry about your family's loss of Molly. I had one life-long dog, whose name was Max. It was heartbreaking to lose him, but he lived 11 going on 12 good doggie years. I thought I was really good to my sweet dog, but who can be good enough?
On the trouble front, my mother just learned that we are losing her oldest brother to cancer. My aunt was in the hospital with some sort of pancreas infection, but now is out. My cousin's child was shot in the stomach with a crossbow (he survived). Life here on earth, well, it just keeps rolling on.
Hugs!
May she have found the Summerlands!
RIP Molly.
Please take comfort in the fact that she lived a good life.
aw. *HUGZ* My condolences on the loss of Molly.
I'm so sorry for your loss of Molly.
This was a beautiful post. Rest and take care of yourself.
Happy Birthday, Karl. I hope you're enjoying a lot of rest and relaxation while you're away. Miss you. *hugs*
Hey Intense Guy, first I am so sorry for the loss of your dog. We have only become the loves of a dog in the past 5 years and I can not think of what it will be like without him.
Next I want to wish you a very happy birthday what ever the year. A little birdie names Deanna (who I have met in person told me it was your day!)
Happy Birthday Iggy. I hope you are enjoying your time away. Hurry back. Missing you!
Good Morning Iggy! I came over from Deanna's blog. I love the comment exchanges between you and Deanna. You have a special great friendship. Deanna said you were having a birthday and I know I am late but I wanted to tell you Happy Birthday. So, Happy Belated Happy Birthday Iggy! While I was here I read that you and your family lost your Molly. I am so sorry. It is so hard when they have to go. We miss our Country Cat and it has been almost 2 years. Take care and I will be looking forward to your comments and blogging post now that Deanna has sent me this way!!!
Hugs!
It's been a real tough year, hasn't it??? I for one will NOT mourn the passing of 2010! But I thank God I have the most amazing friends in the world...like you! Love you!!!
I am so sorry about Molly..best friends are hard to come by:)
Post a Comment