Friday, June 18, 2010

The Trouble With Jane

Not too long ago, I wrote of a customer that keeps his company's server as well as other computers in the ladies room (here). While I know its not a good idea to label projects and jobs in any way that would offend the customer should one's tongue slip, this job has become known as "the ladies room job".

In fact, the job is entered into the time-tracking/billing database that way. It has become a steady 2-3 day a month one, but it has never become a routine one.

Take the trouble with Jane for instance.

A couple days ago, I got a call from Chris at "the ladies room job" telling me that Jane was having problems. So not knowing what to expect, I took a deep breath and squared my shoulders, packed my service kit and grabbed a handful of manuals I lend to users, with such flattering titles as "Windows XP for Dummies" and drove off.

As I drove the 60 miles, it occurred to me that I've never met Jane. I began to wonder if she was someone new - and maybe she's nice and single and ... well, my mind went down a few roads while the car went down some other ones.

Eventually, somewhat weary from battling traffic, I arrive in the company's parking lot and walk up to the receptionist and ask for "Jane."

The pretty receptionist looks at me with puzzled eyes and says, "Who?"

"Jane," I repeat more slowly, taking great care to enunciate clearly.

"There is no Jane here." She replied. "Can someone else help you?"

Thinking I misheard the name, I say, "Well, maybe Chris said Wayne..."

Nope, no Wayne's here either..

So I ask for Chris, the person that called me, and she gets on the phone and the person she talks to says they aren't expecting anyone. The receptionist, who by now is starting to reach for the panic button to summon the security guard, tells me, "You must be at the wrong place."

I clumsily, because my hands are full of computer stuff, pull my cellphone out of my pocket and call Chris. They calmly say they will call the receptionist and tell her where to send me. The phone rings on the desk and the receptionist picks it up and says, "Oh! It's the other Chris!" and starts giggling. She looks up to me and says, "You want to see Bob, he's in Building Three in a cube near the restrooms."

Being intimately knowledgeable of the Building Three's restrooms... or at least the ladies room, I know exactly where Bob sits. "Jane?" I ponder as I walk down the corridor...

I find Bob and say somewhat questioningly, "I understand Jane is having troubles?" Bob looks up to me and replies, "Yes, she certainly seems to be," while he rolls back away from his desk on his chair and looks at me expectantly.

I looked vacantly around, and feeling really foolish and stupid, ask, "So where is the lady having the troubles?"

Bob looks at me and points to the floor under his desk and to an area I cannot see from my side of it. "Dear God what have I gotten myself into?" I inadvertently exclaim while my jaw drops on its own volition.

Bob suddenly realizes that I think Jane is a human being "lady" (and of questionable repute) and starts laughing at me.

"No, no, no! Jane the Computer!"

Red in the face, I say, with great wit and complete tact, "Oh."

While I work, I ask Bob a few questions about "Jane". It turns out, in the early days of the company, the computers where named for the person that they were bought for. Jane, the person, no longer worked there and as a matter of fact, I learned after asking around, no one even remembered who she was...

It was with great sadness, I had to tell the "other" Chris that "Jane" had passed away. Without blinking an eye, she replied, "Oh well, we will just have to buy a new Jane, although I guess this one will be a Bob."

jane the computer on a desk with many parts taken out of the computer case
Alas! Jane the Computer, we hardly knew ye... and Jane the Lady, we knew ye not at all.

23 comments:

Parsley said...

GREAT POST! I think my computer guy would get a kick out of this.

Furry Bottoms said...

HA!!!!! Jane under his desk... HA!!!! I see why your jaw dropped, hehehehe. Work lingo... that always gets me into trouble if I use it outside of work!

buffalodick said...

I suppose Jane is a name more acceptable than the one I call my computer....

Yankee Girl said...

I tend to give human names to inanimate objects as well. It's fun confusing people!

Poor Jane. May she rest in peace.

Deanna said...

At least Jane wasn't in the ladies room. Years ago in chat, one of the chatters had a boyfriend named Bob (battery operated boyfriend). But we won't go there, or wait, I guess I already did! Anyway, talk about naming inanimate objects.

That had to be one old computer if no one could even remember the person Jane. May she (the computer) rest in peace.

Lickety Splitter said...

See Jane crash ...

See Lickety Splitter send condolences.

jewelrybyrebecca said...

Oh the adventures you must have...
See Jane Crash

HAAAA

Debbie said...

Talk about easy come, easy go!

betty said...

this is too funny, Iggy!! I'm sure it was confusing to those who had no idea who Jane was.....kinda of like when Stella our GPS "died" and a friend announced it on her Facebook page and people were expressing sympathy for her loss, but clueless who Stella was. Her sister, Lola, is just not quite of the caliber Stella was though.....

enjoy the weekend :)

betty

CTG Ponies said...

That is too funny! Poor Jane....

AliceKay said...

I was thinking that maybe one of the computers in the "john" was named "Jane". (I was also thinking along the line of what Deanna mentioned there at the end. I guess we all met in the same chat room.) LOL

May Jane rest in peace. (poor thing...her innerds have fallen out)

I hope you had a good day today.

Anonymous said...

LMAO!

I named my first computer. Her name was "Elsie" because it worked with the sentence, "work you stupid computer, or else!" ;)

Actually, all our computers have names, because it makes it easier to identify them on the network. My laptop's name is Seren (Welsh for star).

And no, it's not just me... Kelly's PC, Kelly's laptop, Mam's PC, Dad's PC, and the spare PCs they have also have names.

Anonymous said...

Iggy thanks so much for the post, you are such a great writer I absolutely loved reading this and just laughing away at you, hugsss

Anonymous said...

LOL I just read what you wrote Punkn and I thought the very same thing about Bob....I just decided not to say anything but it was nice to see someone remembered those times as well...sighs

Queenie Jeannie said...

OK now, that's just all kinds of funny!! Thank you for sharing it, with all the juicy details!! It's a perfect Friday post!

Martha said...

That's great Iggy! I think I want my computer to have a name too, it really should. My car has a name why not my computer right?

Have a great weekend! :-)

Rita said...

OMG! This was great! :):)

I also name my cars, but never thought to name my computers. McLap is the closest to a name I have--ROFL!

You have such a talent for writing, Iggy! Love to read your tales of adventure. I am still giggling! :):)

yellowdoggranny said...

that is funny and weird at the same time..u computer guys..sigh*

that's J-O-S-H said...

Glad you commented on mah blog cuz a) I feel more validated as a blogger [read as: human being] to have another person reading mah crap; and b) it turned me on to your site which is well-written and very entertaining [aka two things mah blog isn't]!

MarmiteToasty said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA oh this so made me laff lmfao........

Iggy you are just so funny..

x

jmt said...

Why in the world would these people lead you in so many confusing directions? Really now?

BUT...it makes for a fun story, that's for sure. I think I should name my computer Henry. I liked it for a boy's name (although if our EJ was a boy, we weren't using it because Hubs vetoed it).

LadyStyx said...

See now, my mind went somewhat where Deanna and Alice's did only I was thinking along the lines of them referring to the ladies' room as Jane (ya know... a female John?).

*smirkles* Bob.. *giggles*

Pamela said...

I really expected Jane to be the female equivalent of John -- because of the toilet business in the beginning (post about restroom com)