Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Hoy Park Memories

A while ago, while walking on the Perkiomen Trail, I saw a park on the other side of the Perkiomen Creek. Now, being that there are a lot of creeks in the area, and the earliest roads were formed back before the American Revolutionary War, it is often difficult to find your way from "here" to "there" because bridges are where they put them, and not where you want them.

With the power of Google Maps, I was able find my way to the little park I saw.

street sign saying hoy circle
Fittingly, as it turned out, the park was located just off Hoy Circle.

monument plaque described in text
Hoy Park - dedicated August 28, 2003 - Harry and Alice Hoy and all their children donate this park to the families of Lower Providence Township for the enjoyment of outdoor activities and quality family time, as well as the preservation of waterways and open space... Many memories have been shared here, enjoy creating your own.

park entrance
You can see the stone with the brass plaque on the right - the sign board listed hundreds of bird and fish species to be seen within the park. A small boat ramp is to the left, entering the Skippack Creek while ahead, a short walk down a path, lies a dock on the Perkiomen Creek.

the junction of two creeks under a brilliant blue sky surrounded by green trees
The Skippack (on the left) flows into the Perkiomen Creek (on right) as this point.

an outdoor wood fireplace buried under lush green plant growth
Memories indeed... I wondered how many Hoy family reunions saw hot dogs and burgers grilled on this stone fireplace, now mostly hidden in the lush growth.

a huge green fern
The park has several small paths that run through the woods along the side of the creek. In these woods, I found towering ferns and felt as if I had stumbled into a rain forest.

a park bench in memory of one of the hoy family grandmoms
Needing a short break, I sat on one of the many park benches... and saw, this bench was labeled, Donated By the Francis J. Hoy Family - In Memory Of Carrie K. Coulston - "Grandmom". Once rested, I got up and looked at all the other park benches...

another park bench label
Donated By the Francis J. Hoy Family - In Memory Of Francis J. Hoy - "Bud".

It turned out that all of the park benches were donated by the Francis J. Hoy Family in memory of family members.

I came away from that little park that day, somewhat staggered by the love, adoration, and closeness that this family seemed to have - and their generosity in giving a place with so many of their cherished, precious "memories" to their neighbors.

I wanted to share the beauty of the site with you - I promised myself to investigate the family of Harry and Alice Hoy - and find out who they were and what their story was... I suspect it will be a "worthy" journey.

Addendum:

Harry Francis HOY was born on 24 Sep 1894 in Philadelphia, PA, died on 8 May 1984 in Phoenixville, PA at age 89, and was buried in May 1984 in St. Patrick's Cemetery, Norristown, PA.

Harry married Mary Alice LEFORT, daughter of Joseph LEFORT and Julia RODDEN, on 24 Oct 1923 in St. Francis Church, Norristown, PA. Mary was born on 21 Aug 1896 in Annapolis, MD and died on 18 Oct 1975 in Norristown, PA at age 79.

Their branch of the Hoy family came from Ireland. Harry Hoy's great-great grandfather, Bernard HOY was born before 1790 in Antrim, Ireland and died in Antrim, Ireland.

Bernard HOY, Jr. was born in May 1803 in Dundalk, County Louth, Ireland/Dundalk, Ireland, died on 28 Nov 1858 in Valley Forge, Chester Co., PA at age 55, and was buried in St. Mary's Cemetery, Phoenixville, PA.

18 comments:

Parsley said...

Nice, warm, fuzzy thoughts about this post. A legacy....

yellowdoggranny said...

what nice people and what beautiful country

Matty said...

I pass by Hoy Park all the time. Nice area.

Pamela said...

I sure love it when you go investigating.

jewelrybyrebecca said...

You always find the most interesting stuff. If I ever need to know something, I'll know just who to turn to.

Anonymous said...

What nice people. And how nice that so many people can now share the warmth they seem to have shared.

betty said...

again beautiful area where you live, Iggy! what a wonderful legacy the Hoy family left for future generations to enjoy that park. I loved the plaque announcing the park and their urging for people to create their own memories in the park. Awesome people! I'm glad you included their bios too because I was wondering about this special family!

betty

Yankee Girl said...

What a wonderful thing for people to do!

And it looks so peaceful and relaxing.

Deanna said...

What a wonderful legacy! I can only imagine the pride the living relatives feel when they visit the park - at least I would hope there is family to enjoy what was left by their ancestors.

I'll bet you return there at some point.

AliceKay said...

Beautiful area. That was really nice of the Hoy family to give to their community like that.

"Many memories have been shared here, enjoy creating your own."

Just goes to show there are some very generous people in this world who give of themselves for the betterment of those around them.

Lickety Splitter said...

I love the ferns! That's a very pretty place to donate and to enjoy. What a very special and generous family!

Queenie Jeannie said...

What a lovely thing for that family to do!!! I know you must have enjoyed that walk!!

CTG Ponies said...

Very cool! I'll have to check out the park. What a wonderful legacy.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful park. I love your photos of it. Lovely. And how nice of them to donate this. People are wonderful.
Mary

Furry Bottoms said...

Thats a powerful legacy that family is leaving in that park... very very cool, indeed. My favorite picture was the crumbled overgrown stone fireplace!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely loved reading this post how wonderful and I loved the pictures thanks so much for sharing Iggy HUGS!

Far Side of Fifty said...

I see that you are curious also, as I would have been. What a wonderful family to have added to this park, they must have really enjoyed their time there. Out here in the sticks, there was a bench on one of the wildlife trails..I will have to take a photo of it and research the name and the why:)

Rita said...

What a lush little park--the water, trees, ferns--and the half hidden stone fireplace and all the donated benches--you can just feel the love there. If you find out anything else about the family, please let us know. What a generous family! :)