Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Thank Goodness for Marmite!

...and thank goodness for Marmite Toasty!

described in the text
Toastie claims she got the empty "dry gin" box from the local grocery shop to in order to post through the mail some wonderful things - like a red lady bug pennant and "proper marmite soldier breakfast or teatime egg set." Skeptical as I am, I believe her... :)

To make a proper marmite soldier, you first toast some toast and use the plastic soldier "cookie-cutter" to cut out some guys that look sort of like the Royal English Foot Guards that guard the Queen at Buckingham Palace.

Thankfully, Toastie has taught me the proper eating technique... "you have to time the egg perfect so when you smash its head in, the yoke is still runny and ya dippy soldiers makes the yoke run down the side of the shell."

I can only say, it all makes for a regal breakfast and wonderful way to start my day. I do have a struggle remembering to hold the pinkie finger up whilst drinking my Earl Grey, (hot) tea.

described in the text
Inside the Dry Gin box, was a lovely note and what can only be described as the nectar of the gods (and I do not mean Coca Cola)... that's right, a wonderful jar of Marmite!

I was soon making myself egg-dipping soldiers and spreading Marmite on them. Mmmm Mmmmm Mmmmmmm!!!!

For those of you that have not had the pleasure, Marmite is a sticky, dark brown paste with a distinctive, powerful flavour, which is extremely salty and savoury with "the extract of beef stock" qualities, somewhat (emphasis on the somewhat) comparable to soy sauce.

described in the text
Toastie tells me that every year Walkers have a competition for ordinary people to design a new 'flavour' and they win royalties if their 'flavour' is picked to go into full production.

This year's batch of flavors are based on Europe's World Cup Football competition that starts this year and include such wondes as: Japanese Teriyaki Chicken, Argentinean Flame Grilled Steak, Roast Beef & Yorkshire Pudding, Brazilian Salsa, Australian BBQ Kangaroo, Dutch Edam Cheese, South African Sweet Chutney, and American Cheeseburger.

I took a deep breath, gathered up me courage and sampled me some Australian BBQ Kangaroo and I must say, "Holy dooley matey! Unless you have kangaroos loose in the top paddock, these are grouse tucker!"

That is to say, "Wow! My friend, unless you are crazy, these are great tasting food!"

The American Cheeseburger chips (errr.. crisps! I mean CRISPS!!) actually tasted vaguely like a McDonald's cheeseburger left under the heat lamp for about 6 hours. I think I'll try the Japanese Teriyaki Chicken next... I wonder what wine would be best with those?

Thank you Marmite Toasty! I hope things are taking a turn for the (much) better for you.

And if England should win the World Cup Football tournament scheduled to take place between June 11th and July 11th 2010 in South Africa, that would be bloody marvelous!

20 comments:

jewelrybyrebecca said...

Thanks for my morning chuckle.
That marmite stuff sounds pretty good. As for the wine accompaniment for the Japanese Teriyaki chips...Aaa… crisps, I would say a dry rice wine might go nicely????

Anonymous said...

A bit of a fan of Marmite now, are we? LOL!

Parsley said...

Not sure I could eat Marmite. But maybe....maybe with a veggimite sandwich.

Deanna said...

That woman is going to turn you into a proper English gent yet! What a great care package. I'm with you about the dry gin box - although a bit skeptical, if she says it came from the grocers, then it did. Right? Yea, right...

Lickety Splitter said...

Ummm hello ... the nectar of the Gods is SO Coca Cola. That marmite must have affected your good judgment. COCA COLA rules!

Just teasing ... sorta ...

;)

MarmiteToasty said...

:) Just glad the little package made you smile :)

If you rub marmite on the soles of your feet in the winter is stops you getting chilblanes lol lmfao....

another great way to have marmite is to have it on a slice of toast then spread lashings of crunchy peanut butter on top :) or marmite then creamcheese or like me just keep dipping ya finger in the jar as ya pass LOL

x

MarmiteToasty said...

and oye Deanna the box was from the grocery shop lol I refuse to pay 2-3 quid for a post office box when I can get one from the shop for free :)

just call me cheapskate lol

x

MarmiteToasty said...

ps......... things are almost back on track :) forward and onward ..

x

yellowdoggranny said...

wow..what a great package.

Queenie Jeannie said...

What fun!!!! All except the marmite that is, lol! Someone sent me some in a swap and although I DID try it (after making Thomas and Bella try it first, lol!!!), I didn't care for it. Good mail is hard to beat!

betty said...

never heard of Marmite, but it does sound interesting; I'm not sure I could manage to prepare that and eggs all on the same morning and get to work on time; sounds a bit too complicated for me I think.

enjoy though and what a sweet gesture from Marmite Toasty :)

betty

buffalodick said...

Marmy is my bud! We have shared laughs and tears..we will never share Marmite, as I think it tastes like salty, gamey ass(don't ask how I know this!)

Anonymous said...

Wow what wonderful stuff those are just too cute with the toast soldiers and the chips sound yummers, a very nice gift indeed :o)

Joy De Vivre Design said...

I have never heard of Marmite! See I never know what I will learn when I come and visit your blog!

The American Cheeseburger chips do not sound very tasty, but I guess I say that after finally making myself sick of McDonalds a few years ago. I love seeing what different things are available in other areas!

AiringMyLaundry said...

Marmite makes me gag, sorry.

I do like the chips though!

AliceKay said...

You received a very nice care package from MarmiteToasty. That's quite a variety of "crisps".

(not sure i would want to try the English Roast Beef & Yorkshire Pudding kind, tho)

Rita said...

What a wonderful package! Never heard of marmite, either. I think I could handle the soldier toast, but that's about it--ROFL! ;)

What a sweet and generous thing to do!

Pamela said...

I've tried it. I liked it okay with toast and cream cheese. didn't try it with egg.

But, it definitely is an acquired taste.

Furry Bottoms said...

Are those walkers like lays potato chips? Trying to figure out what that product in the walkers bags are...

Never had Marmosite!

LadyStyx said...

When she sent crisps to me, I used hubby as the guinea pig (hey! I was game for all the chocolate!!). He liked all but one I think. Now that Dutch Edam sounds scrummy.....