This past weekend, just the two of us went to the town of St. Michaels, located on the Miles River which flows into the Chesapeake Bay about 24 miles south of Annapolis, to visit the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum. The museum was hosting the 23rd Annual Antique and Classic Boat Festival which means old wooden boats, old cars and pickup trucks, old "nautical stuff", lots of people and plenty of fresh seafood.
The museum covers 18-acres on one of the most postcard perfect waterfronts known to man. The centerpiece of the museum is the Hooper Strait Lighthouse.
This 1879 lighthouse once stood on Navy Point (north of Norfolk, VA) and lit the way through the tricky waters of Hooper Strait. Because the Chesapeake Bay is shallow, with dangerous shoals, Bay lighthouses were essential to safe navigation.
The Hooper Strait lighthouse is called a "screwpile," built on special iron pilings which were tipped with a screw that could be turned into the muddy bottom for a depth of 10 feet or more.
Lighthouse keepers had risky jobs with an important responsibility to keep the Chesapeake's shoals and channels safely marked for shipping. Two men kept watch; their duties included maintaining the building, standing watch all night to make sure the light remained lit, and ringing the fog bell during inclement weather.
In some locations, families were permitted to live in the lighthouse, but Hooper Strait was not one of them. Consequently, there were no domestic niceties in the lighthouse. Water for drinking, bathing and cooking was collected from the roof's rain gutters, groceries were rationed and arrived once a week from the mainland, and the bathroom facilities were located outside on the deck.
When I saw this wooden boat floating along side the dock I turned to my Dad and said, "Do you remember the time..." just as he turned to me and said, "Remember the time..." and we both laughed.
My Dad had a boat very similar to this one when he was first married. He and my grandfather were often out in it, in any season, and in any weather. One summer, my father, grandfather, my younger brother, and I were out fishing in the inlet off the "fish factory" down the New Jersey shore in this old wooden boat.
The inlet was pretty calm and smooth - the water very clear and sparkling, the flounder were biting and we were catching fish when suddenly I looked up and saw a rogue wave, 9 or 10 feet in height in a cresting roll, bearing down on us. I shouted to everyone to "Hold on!!!" while cranking the wheel to steer the boat into the wave. The wave crashed over the bow and smashed through the windshield and flooded the boat, leaving it with about 2 feet of water over the floor. My dad immediately started bailing with a bucket and had my grandfather show my younger brother how to work the manual pump.
My arm and side of my head was cut pretty bad by the shattered glass, but my Dad told me just steer the boat into the waves and try to edge over to the beach. After a short while, a much larger boat used to take people offshore deep sea fishing came by and towed us over the bar and into the bay, where we beached the boat and finished getting the water out of it.
We arrived home many hours late, soaked in seawater and half bloody, to find my mom and grandmother frantic from fear. To show everyone we were made of the "right stuff" (and after getting stitches in my arm and the side of my head), we were out fishing and water skiing the next day - however it was quite a while before we ventured out into the inlet to the ocean again.
I think this happened in 1967 - and while I remember the wave crashing through the windshield inches from my face, I also remember how calm and no nonsense my dad was - he saw to it that we were all safe, and that we were in no real danger, and set about getting us out of our predicament.
Yes Dad, I remember when... :)
My dad and I envied the owner of the Hours and Ours while coveting his boat. This boat was basically a wreck found in some one's barn, and the owner spent from 1998 to 2008 rebuilding it, piece by piece while living along (with it) in his garage.
I asked him if the boat's trailer had the same story, you know, a "pile of rust" that he grinded, welded, and repainted over 10 years in order to restore it.
He turned to me with a huge smile and said, "Now THAT would be insane!"
The museum offers an apprentice program to those that want to learn the skills involved with building a wooden boat. This exquisite canoe was built by such an apprentice. My only thoughts were when I saw this work of art were admiration and appreciation. The only person I know that has talent like this is Hank Jr.
This little tugboat named, "Coastie" reminded me of a little boy who's grandfather was in the Coast Guard. Maybe someday, he'll be a happy boater too.
When I saw this pickup truck, I could of swore I was just looking at one of these somewhere - when I remembered I had seen one on Far Side of Fifty's Forgotten Old Photos's blog. There was also a Model T, a '57 Chevy, a "Woody" station wagon, and a 1952 Ford V8 Customline.
...finally, when regretfully having to leave the museum, I saw this little exhibit showing how the waterman's family garden would contribute to the seafood that many of them lived on, as well as made a living from. This reminded me of another very talented person, the creator of the Conas Brothers.
Happy Father's Day, Dad! I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

21 comments:
oh my gosh, I may be the first to comment on this! what wonderful memories and times you had with your dad, Iggy, even when it wasn't in the best of situations, but he was there with you and guiding you and directing you and teaching you and loving you! he sounds like a wonderful man! so glad you were able to spend this weekend together with him taking a walk down memory lane :)
I hope you have many more wonderful days/years with him
betty
Wow, what an awesome day you had together and wonderful memories. That story about the wave crashing over you was a jaw dropper. Yikies!!!
Glad you had a happy day with your Dad!
This is too weird! I never have watched "Deadliest Catch" and I was sitting here reading your post with that show on in the background--and they lost a ship and crew and another man fell off another boat--they all drowned! And you're telling me your scary boat story with broken glass and stitches and the boat half full of water...it was like I had sound effects and time travel over here! Wow! Your dad is good in a crisis and stays level-headed. That's a wonderful man to have for a dad. Great story and you guys had a wonderful weekend filled with new memories. :):)
I always wanted to live in a lighthouse. I still do!
Also, I love Hours & Ours. What a cool boat.
Sounds like a wonderful outing for you and your dad.
What a fun day you guys had!!! I'm so grateful you guys were OK, way back when.....kind of scary!! You forgot to mention what you ate for lunch though!! You mentioned seafood.....
Great pictures, as always! :D
Looks like you had a wonderful day with your dad. Lots of things to see and you captured them well with your pictures. Remembering past memories was a plus.
I loved the pics. The picture of the lighthouse was amazing. And the pic of "Coastie" was really cute. I'm sure Ryan would love playing with that little tugboat. :)
Have a great Monday!
The fresh sea food sounds so good (I love crab legs). You and your dad have such wonderful memories and are still creating more. How wonderful is that!
The story about getting swamped is amazing. And your amazing father kept his cool. Just like you would.
Hours and Ours is pretty impressive. And so is the canoe. We need to bug JR for an update on his boat building adventures.
My Dad and I flew into Canada twice to fish on a lake that we were the only ones on(another dad and son were with us),glad we did it before he got too old to make the trip..
That sounds like quite a boat trip!
What a nice way to spend the day.
Coastie is so cute!!!!
I am sure your dad had as good a time as you did! That looks like a great day to be had.
Sounds like you had a great weekend. I'll give the seafood a miss, but wouldn't mind visiting the lighthouse and seeing the boats. There's a boat show similar to that over here each year in Swansea. Funnily enough, it's called the "Swansea Anual Boat Show." I haven't been to it in years though.
Oh yeah, and I'm glad your Dad seems to have enjoyed Fathers' Day weekend! :)
how great that you still have your dad..i envy you..and what a great fishing story..glad you were all ok..
Im so glad you got to spend the weekend with your dad and it sure looks like you had a nice one, I loved the pictures and that lil garden at the end looked very nice I wish I could have rocks around mine like that, thanks so much for sharing, HUGS!!
What a fantastic day. And what a beautiful area.
I love that Coastie thing by the way. I'd be tempted to take it home with me.
That was a boat trip you will always remember! I am glad all of you came out of it ok! You always paint a nice picture with your writing. Thanks for sharing with us all today. Anne
Found you from Jeanie's blog. Great photos. Love that lighthouse. I'd love to go there some day. So cool that you could share it with your dad.
What a wonderful day! That boat is absolutely gorgeous. It made me think of hank too.
What a crazy story from 1967! And if you had stitches, you shouldn't have been water skiing. Please tell me you were just spectating. :)
IGGgY ,im blushing with Humility with what you said about building boats , im looking at them and then i read my name , ME? Thanks Man. y.o.p. JR
I wonder what would have happened had you not seen the wave coming (where from did it come anyway??)
Other commenters have said most everything ...
but, I will add that I really appreciate the relationship you have with your dad.
Post a Comment