I've been busy since Sunday - I hope to catch up reading your blogs soon!
Last night I was at the Central Schwenkfelder Church to hear my niece playing her voila in a summer student recital. I had to hussle to get there since I was at the "Ladies Room Job" earlier in the day. I forgot to bring my camera, so the two pictures are low quality cell phone shots.

My niece playing Allegro by Gioseffo Hectore Fiocco

The grand finale, "Go Tell Aunt Rhody", was played by all the students ensemble. The students ranged from first and second graders up to two graduated high school seniors.
Go Tell Aunt Rhody
Go Tell Aunt Rhody
The old grey goose is dead.
The one that she's been savin' (3 times)
To make a feather bed.
She died in the millpond (3 times)
From standin' on her head.
The goslins are crying (3 times)
Because their mammy's dead.
The gander is weeping (3 times)
Because his wife is dead.
From Fiocco to Aunt Rhody. All of them were gifted with talent.

18 comments:
That was a beautiful piece of music. :) The girl in the video was great. (she deserved the award she received) I'm sure your niece did a fine job playing it as well. It has always amazed me that such beautiful music comes from that small, but very elegant looking, instrument.
Hey, I remember "Go Tell Aunt Rhody". :)
I figured you must be pretty busy because I hadn't seen you around very much. Have a good day today. *hugs*
I've thought back on old songs and 'Mother Goose' poems...how depressing the lyrics!
Nice that you got to hear some quality music!
What a good supportive Uncle you are.... Awe.
I bet it was beautiful!
I started playing violin in the 4th grade. This brings back a lot of wonderful memories!
Sounds like a nice way to spend the evening... Listening to some talented children (especially when one of them is related to you).
I was thinking the same thing... from classical to The Old Grey Goose! Wowsa.
I hope your niece continues with her music. Julie played violin in school for awhile. I so loved going to her concerts. Each year the school would host a dinner in the school cafeteria. Families would eat and visit and then while we ate our dessert, the kids would stroll around playing their violins for us. It was magical and never failed to reduce me to tears to hear and see such beauty. Every school should have a Strolling Strings!
Hah ... the last "niece" event I attended was a dance recital. She was just a wee thing then, all decked out in her little feathered costume. During the show, a feather got away from her and she went to retrieve it ... bending over to grasp it with her bottom up to the audience. Quite the memory. She stole the show with her unintentional antics!
Awww I loved that!! Your niece is a very pretty young lady and what talent, that sure looked like a fancy gathering, thanks for sharing with us Iggy, HUGS!
your niece is beautiful! and what talent she has!! always admire anyone who plays an instrument well! such discipline to practice, etc with it!
take care of yourself Iggy :) (it is okay sometimes not to read blogs too :)
betty
I remember those days when my kids were in band..
What a lovely and difficult piece to play. She must be a talented young woman!
I do not remember ever hearing "Go Tell Aunt Grody"--unless it is one of those tunes that you'd remember if you heard it. But with those lyrics...I think I'd remember--hehe! Does remind you of the old Mother Goose and Grimms Fairy Tales (however you spell that). They were very dark. Like Ring Around The Rosie--whew!
Sounds like a magical evening. Your photos turned out well from your cell phone, even if your camera takes better pictures. At least you have these to remember the special evening. :):)
After hearing that piece... I'm mighty tempted to throw some classical into the stereo for the afternoon...
Why's the mommy goose gotta die????
wow, he goose died? sigh*
Man, I always wished I had liked orchestra class enough to actually learn an instrument. Piano would've been nice, but I always preferred heading off to chorus instead.
How sweet of you to be there for your niece's events :)
I will come back to watch the video... finishing up watching "Roman Holiday" on my IPhone that expires soon!
You are such an awesome uncle to go to the recital. The church is a beautiful backdrop for the event!
I took violin lessons for awhile as a child. I felt like my fingers were too short -- and quit. Broke my daddys heart.
We sang that song (Aunt Rhody) as kids. I just sang that song to someone the other day (I think to my nephews paramour)
i've always been appalled by the lyrics to this song! they're so morbid! who writes these children's songs??
Post a Comment