Saturday, March 20, 2010

Tortoise and the Turtles

I've not been walking much the past couple months - The strain from shovelling snow on the back, the stress from work and financially, along with a case of SADs (Seasonal Affective Disorder) all joined up to give me a really bad case of "I don't feel like it"s for a few months.

But today, the first day of Spring, there was no way to avoid the call of the outdoors. It was bright, sunny and 78F!

So, a little stiff from the lack of walking, I started off slowly, tortoise slowly.

the canal with greening grass and people kayaking
I decided that four miles or so would be a nice distance to strive for - and the soft dirt towpath on the Oaks Reach of the Schuylkill Navigation System was just the place to go. I hoped to see some birds, and the earliest of the spring flowers in bloom.

a tall budding willow tree
On the other side of the canal, a willow tree begins to turn green. The Forsythia bushes are just starting to blossom - I always like the yellow bushes in full bloom.

two pairs of turtles!
I didn't quite expect to see the canal turtle hanging out on the branches sunning themselves! These guys were really big but not very energetic. I guess they need to warm up a bit before they start working on getting some food and producing little turtles.


I think this was the biggest turtle I saw today, it was the size of a basketball. Just in front of the big one, is a little one probably saying, "Hey! I was here first!" On the bank to his left, you will see the first of the buttercups in bloom.

close up of the big turtle
This turtle enjoyed laying on his branch with his feet sticking out into the air. In the video below, where I toss some sticks at him to get him to move a little, he continues to have an alert expression but stubbornly refused to show much sign of life.

turtle on a branch above some algae filled water
As I plodded tortoise-like down the path, I saw turtle after turtle. This one looks as if he as escaped a huge batch of "turtle soup".

the belly plate of these turtles are blood red
The turtles may seem to be rather drab, olive and dark green, but I caught this one rising to give me a closer look - his breast plate is a very vivid red.

a porcelain insulator from a power line
Not everything round was a turtle. Here is a porcelain insulator from a power line. I looked around and was a bit baffled - the only nearby electric line didn't use this sort of insulator.

canadian goose
The white chin-strap ducks are once more migrating to the northern climes. I saw many of them along the banks of the canal, most of them formed up in groups of two and all of them ravenously hungry. The only time these geese seemed perturbed was when a pair of very large hawks flew overhead. Try as I might, I couldn't get a good picture of them - they had a mostly white underside and wings that looked to be about 5-6 feet wide.

a fish in the canal
In addition to the turtles splashing about in the canal, I saw some fish too. I don't know what kind of fish this is - I'm really only a saltwater fisherman.

I spliced together some videos I took while doing my tortoise walk. I admit to throwing sticks at some turtles to see if they would take a splash for you. I winced when I accidentally hit one - but he seemed none the worse for it. The Canadian Geese definitely have a "pecking order" as you will see when the one male chases off the other one - I enjoyed his nonchalant investigation of soggy leaf afterwards.

Tomorrow I hope to extend my walk to five miles and pick up the pace.

Turtle — Spends most of its life in the water. Turtles tend to have webbed feet for swimming. I think the turtles I have pictured are all "Painted Turtles".

Tortoise — A land-dweller that eats low-growing shrubs, grasses, and even cactus. Tortoises do not have webbed feet. Their feet are round and stumpy for walking on land.

Terrapin — Spends its time both on land and in water, but it always lives near water, along rivers, ponds, and lakes. Terrapins are often found in brackish, swampy areas. The word terrapin comes from an Indian word meaning "a little turtle.”

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I lived close to ya Iggy I would be your walking buddy then I could see the good stuff too..I loved the turtles I just seeing them out sunning especially when they are in little rows, when I first saw the pic of the power line thingy I first thought what kind of mushroom is that LOL thats what I get for not reading first..I loved the video and your right I dont think the turtles even cared about those sticks, hehe thanks so much for sharing hugsssss

jewelrybyrebecca said...

Great post!!! I hear ya on the SADs... But what a beautiful day! I love forsythia. I can't wait for some of it to loom around here. The turtles are great. Thanks for sharing!!!

Lickety Splitter said...

Happy first 2010 Spring day! Thanks for sharing the photos. I love nature's creatures, as long as they stay in nature ;) I could definitely handle a turtle ... but urban roving racoons make me a little nervous when I venture into the "great outdoors" ... my backyard ... at night.

I'm glad you enjoyed your walk!

yellowdoggranny said...

all week...all fecking week..beautiful..sunny and 70's..today the first day of spring? 35 degrees out..could even snow..feck..
sorry your feeling bad..I'll send you some somethings to cheer you up in email..

JenJen said...

Did you totally just whack a turtle with a stick???? I think Mother Nature is making a huge, giant, haunting turtle just for you.

Your pics are awesome. I am so excited I am not the only one who gets pee-happy about spring.

AliceKay said...

Looks like you had great weather down your way today. Beautiful spring day. It was in the low 70s up my way today, but it was very windy so it was a bit cool. Terri and I worked outside in the yard for awhile. (the fallen basketball post is now moved out of my front lawn and it was full of concrete...all the way to the top)

Loved the pictures and the video. I'm sure that turtle didn't feel a thing. LOL (but look out on your next walk along that canal...he might be looking for you)

The fish kinda looked like a trout, but the picture wasn't very clear so it was hard to tell. My dad goes trout fishing a lot.

Have a nice time on your walk tomorrow. Will look forward to pictures from your day. *hugs*

betty said...

looks like a perfect place to begin your "spring training". I can understand how difficult it can be to walk in winter with the weather plus all the other factors you listed but thankfully, you should have a nice 9 months of walking ahead before winter descends once again

enjoyed the picture; would have loved to see those hawks, they sounded magnificient

I don't know why but turtles and Pennsylvania just don't seem to go hand and hand in my mind, but it seems like it works just fine

enjoy Sunday :)

betty

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just discovered your blog from a fellow blogger and it is great! Your pictures look amazing. Wish I was there.

My first day of spring, I woke up to my entire lawn covered in a blanket of snow (which had finally just melted the week previously). Waiting for spring.

Martha said...

Love the photos. I think those turtles are just as happy as you were for the weather. Yesterday was finally a nice warm day here. Glad you got out for your walk. Hope you are Happy Iggy again soon *hugs*

Deanna said...

I always enjoy going for walks with you, Iggy. What a nice way to celebrate the first day of Spring. We celebrated it with 34 degree temperatures and rain. Tessa and Greg live and hour away and got quite a bit of snow.
So, I REALLY enjoyed your tortoise walk. I hope you take me on many more walks over the next few weeks.

Hugs!

AiringMyLaundry said...

I am jealous of your 78 degree weather!

LadyStyx said...

We've not been quite so warm yet. The temps got to the low 70's around Monday and have gotten to the mid-70's. As much as I'd rather have the cold and snow, I have to admit do enjoy days like this when it's warm enough for shorts but still cool enough for jeans if I so choose to wear them. I just hate all the pollen and the humidity that I just *KNOW* are right around the corner.

sugarlens said...

Thanks for taking us on your walk. The weather has been crazy nice lately, but we have been staying home with the baby, as well as recovering physically. Hopefully we will be able to get us soon before it gets too hot.

aladdinsane12 said...

78 degrees? i can't even tell you how jealous i am! we got snow :( and i love the turtle that's balancing on the branch- how could that be comfortable?

Rita said...

Such beautiful weather! Must have been wonderful to be able to be out walking again. If you suffer from SAD it must have been extra hard to come home from Florida to the snowstorms and cold, dark days! :( Spring has arrived to save you. You'll feel better every day, I'm sure.

Those were some big turtles--that paid you no mind. Maybe they saw how slowly you were moving and figured you were no threat--hehe! Would have been a big surprise to him if you had landed that stick in his eye! Just because you were moving slowly, how dare he assume you were a poor aim...even if your aim just so happened to be off that day--how dare he ignore you--ROFL! So funny!!

Did that fish really have bright blue fins? Wow! Big fish, too. What a great walk. If I lived nearby I'd volunteer to be your hobbling buddy--on good days, of course--ROFL! :):) May your days be brighter, my friend.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great walk! :)

CTG Ponies said...

Looks like a great walk with some fabulous scenery. My daughter and I took the dogs for a walk in Green Lane Park on Saturday after we spent most of the day at the barn. Some fish but no signs of turtles there yet. Lots of geese but they've been there all winter. And I did see a pair of white swans.

Celticspirit said...

Love all your pictures and the video! I am so ready for Spring to be here and thought it was until we had that hail and snow. How hard was it to put that video together? I have that feature on my camera but have no idea how to do it. I might like to go to the nearby pond and do a video if I could figure out how to put it on here.

Yankee Girl said...

That is great that you are walking again!

I get SAD as well and I know what you mean about the "I don't feel like its."

But YAY for spring! I am so exicted to get back outside and so some walking of my own. And rollerblading. And biking. Pedal and motorcycle.

Furry Bottoms said...

You take such pretty pictures!! :) I love reading your posts, they're so informative! Those turtles are so cute

Melissa said...

I have said this many times but I'll say it again. You take the most lovely pictures!Thanks you for takeing us along on your walks.

=)

I think California doesn't afford people the chance to get SAD...it hasn't been cold or gray, or even winter. It's like 75% summer 5% winterish and 20% spring over here.

Queenie Jeannie said...

Thanks for taking us on your walk!! So glad it's warming up for you up there. It's still COLD down here and usually windy too. *pout*

Joy De Vivre Design said...

It sounds like you had a perfect spring day! I love your posts, because with the great pictures illustrating them it feels like we are right there too.

Martha said...

Beautiful! Sorry I have been MIA... I guess I have had a case of the "I don't want to" too! Work is kicking my butt.... just when I adjust to it being one way, they change it up on me!

Can you tell me how to get to where you took this walk. Looks like someplace I might like to go SOON!

ChicagoLady said...

Beautiful pictures! I could almost feel spring in them. We were up around 70 last Friday, but on Saturday we got 30's and snow. Not a lot, but enough to cover the ground. It was gone by Monday though.

I think the goose was aggressive because it's the start of mating season. He wanted no other males around his woman! LOL

Hope you're feeling better soon! HUGSSSSSSSSSSSS

Queenie Jeannie said...

You have an award waiting for you over at my place...

jmt said...

Okay....first day of Spring for you was 78 degrees. First day of Spring for us resulted in 12 inches of snow. Seriously. What's wrong?????

:)

Thanks for the pics...it makes the IDEA of Spring and Summer feel closer than it may be. Hope you're well!

Morri said...

Loved this, Iggy..turtles are wonderful creatures..in life and as shaman animals.

I hope spring is everywhere in your world far away from Florida!

Namaste',

~Morri (g-h)