Or at least you do when your name is Dr. Frederick Simeone.
Last Saturday, my Dad and I went to the Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum who motto is, "Celebrating the Spirit of Competition", to see an event called, "Tribute to Sebring".
While Watkins Glen (New York) brought sports car racing back to the U.S. after WWII, it was the Sebring (Florida) 12-hour race that brought international racing to the States. The race was founded by Russian expatriate Alex Ulmann on an abandoned WWII training air field located in the middle of central Florida orange groves.
Because it was run on the old concrete runways, Sebring was extremely hard on drivers as well as cars. It had two very long straights that enabled the cars to reach high speeds, making good brakes essential.
Four cars from the museum's collection - Three, a Cunningham C4R, and C- and D-Type Jaguars - that competed at the famous Sebring 12-Hour race, and a 1964 Cobra Daytona Coupe were driven around the back lot of the museum and then the admiring folks in attendance got to see the cars with their hoods up. My Dad, a mechanical engineer from MIT and a unabashed "motor nut," was in heaven!
The basic concept established in the light-weight, custom hand-built Cunningham C4R laid the groundwork for America's two best known sports cars, the Corvette (1953) and the Cobra (1962). In fact, the fathers of the Corvette (Zora Arkus-Duntov) and the Cobra (Carroll Shelby) both raced, and lost to, Cunninghams at Le Mans (1950 - 54). After seeing the Cunninghams in action, they took his approach with their own cars.
The 1953 Jaguar C-Type finished 3rd driven by Sherwood Johnson, the same year a Cunningham C4R won. In 1956, another Jaguar - a D-Type - again finished 3rd driven by Indy 500-winner Bob Sweikert.
The two Jaguars are simply superlative mechanical works of art. A fifty-seven(!) year old C-type can set you back $200,000. However, a 1952 Jaguar C-Type that was originally owned and raced by the late Phil Hill was sold last year in an auction where the bidding immediately passed $1,000,000 on its way to a $2,530,000 final selling price. A 1957 D-Type recently sold for $3,740,000.
The Cobra Daytona Coupe is one of the rarest sports racing cars in the world. It is the first of only six Coupes to be built and was the first one to race, at the Daytona Continental, and the last to race, at Bonneville where it set 23 land speed records. A Cobra Daytona Coupe was recently priced at $6,800,000!
I would really, really hate to have an accident driving one of these things!
Anyway, for those of you that couldn't be there I prepared a little video. The white car is the CR4, the two silver cars are the Jaguars, and the blue and white car is the Cobra.
Let the good times roll, after you triple-check that your car insurance is paid up!

17 comments:
Wow. There sure are a lot of zero's behind those numbers! I noticed the OCHA's were standing at attention.
And to think that I'm older than those cars... and I'm not worth near as much as they are ;-0
Those are some nice little toys.
oh my gosh, I can't imagine anyone having 60 cars!!! that must be a very impressive collection!! how fun for your dad to get to see under the hoods of these vehicles! I bet he had a blast looking at the design of them. They would have been cool to drive too but I would have been terrified of hitting something, especially those orange cones out there regally pointing out the way :)
sounds like a fun adventure for the two of you :)
betty
If there is one sport that I really do not understand (and I LOVE sports), it is car racing. And to have sixty cars??? Hog.
what a thing to be able to collect! someone's a little bit spoiled :)
that cobra is very cool, though. heck, the jags are, too. i'd take any of 'em. i drive a honda!
I'm not a car type person..but I've been lucky enough to sit my ass in a thunderbird, corvette,Shelby, and others..but the biggest thrill I ever had and the car that stole my heart was a Jaquar. It was in 1968 and the guy had restored it..dont remember what year it was..but it was black with black interior, the dash was walnut and had black carpet. it purred....and so did i...fecking loved it and if i ever have 'fuckyou' money? Im buying one.
This reminds me of Jay Leno.
I'd kill(not really) for a teal Chevelle with black racing stripes, black leather seats and a working radio.
Do You remember Horse Cartwright (( Dan Blocker )) from the show Bonanza?? he was into car racing years ago. thing about him is that he died a very young man.But he was comptitive in indy style cars.It kinda amused me when i saw a picture of him and they were refueling the car, they were using a Milk can and a funnel. so much for timing in the pits back then.. lol ...Just thought i'd run that by you . Ya ole Pal JR
Cool video. Loved it when I saw it the other day. I think I like the white car (with the blue stripes) the best. Looked cool racing around the lot.
What Terri and I liked seeing the other day were the utility trucks making their way down the railroad tracks. Looked like they were working on trimming trees and keeping power lines clear. Nice video.
I'm heading off to work now. Have yourself a good day. *hugs*
Cool cars!
But I'd trade 'em for more paper and stuff, lol! :D
That is quite the expensive collection.
My tastes aren't that high brow. I collect books. And postcards. It is really all I can afford.
I love driving and would love to have the chance to race one of those cars!
WTH? 60+ cars. Must be nice. I only have one, and I've it long enough for the automatic doorlocks and air conditioning to stop working. Those two things are practically must haves when you live in the hood and the deep South. Yes, I would like some cheese with my whine.
The video was so beautiful it brought tears to my eyes.
What I wouldn't give to take one of those beauty's for a spin.
Wow.
VERY cool. Very cool indeed.
:-)
Awesome! :)
Oh man... I miss the sound of muscle cars!
~sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet~
Fab! As the owner of a very unreliable British sportscar (growly V8) I approve :-)
Post a Comment