Friday, March 12, 2010

A Tale of Two Ships

a very old all metal US battleship
USS Olympia (C-6) was a protected cruiser in the United States Navy during the Spanish-American War. She is most notable for being the flagship of Commodore George Dewey at the Battle of Manila Bay. The cruiser continued in service throughout World War I and was decommissioned in 1922. Olympia is a museum ship at the Independence Seaport Museum in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

However, the old USS Olympia, which many say is the single most significant historic Naval vessel in existence, is in tough shape. Despite $5 million worth of restoration work since 1996, water leaks through the ships rotting hull and deck. The necessary repairs to restore and stabilize the ship are pegged at about $13 million. The ship hasn’t been in dry dock since 1945. It needs a lot of work.

The ship hosts some 45,000 visitors a year, but the bridge deck and pilot house are closed to the public during inclement weather.

Seaport museum officials are looking at options for the ship, including a major fundraising drive to restore it. But the ship’s future is uncertain at best.


SS United States is a passenger liner built in 1952 for the United States Lines and designed to recapture the trans-Atlantic speed record from the British and serve as a possible troop carrier. Built at a cost of $78 million, the ship remains the largest ocean liner built entirely in the United States, the fastest ocean liner to cross the Atlantic in either direction, and it remains current holder of the Blue Riband, given to the passenger liner crossing the Atlantic Ocean in regular service with the record highest speed.


Today the United States is docked on the Philadelphia waterfront slowly deteriorating day after day. The ship is fenced off and no one is allowed to visit it but you can see interior pictures (here).

It was reported in March 2010 that scrapping bids for the ship are being collected. Norwegian Cruise Lines, in a press release, noted that there are large costs associated with keeping United States afloat in her current state—around $800,000 a year—and that the company was actively seeking a "suitable buyer".

A buyer that will scrap the ship and turn it into razor blades.

SS United States website

Time waits for no man.

24 comments:

jewelrybyrebecca said...

It's so sad to think of such a grand ship turning into scrap. :-(

Queenie Jeannie said...

That seems such a shame, and yet why pay nearly a million dollars a year when it's just sitting there??

Is there an alternative??

Matty said...

I am amazed at the cost to build one of them. I guess like people, even fair maidens have a life expectancy.

Rita said...

Looking at the pictures in the link it reminded me of the rusty, abandoned vehicles and farm equipment you can see in the farmer's fields around here. Nothing lasts forever--true. The pyramids are crumbling and stars burn out. Maybe that is so we can miss them and tell their stories when they are gone--and to make room for the new? :)

AliceKay said...

It's a shame to think these two historical ships might be turned into scrap metal, but I like Rita's take on the situation. Makes one stop to think, doesn't it?

Intense Guy said...

When I posted this - I wasn't sure what I thought of the ships being destroyed.

I intended the post to be more of a "if you wish to see either of these ships, get a move on it, they might now be here for much longer."

I personally found it interesting that the older ship (the Olympia) has been around for over a hundred and some years and was only now "falling apart" while the much newer United States has become a ruin in far less time.

My other half-baked thought was how our (US) government buys these expensive "toys" with little to (mostly) no consideration for their expense or lifespan. We (taxpayers) spent a fortune on the United States and got next to nothing for it.

Someone told me that out in the desert of Arizona is one of the WORLDs largest air forces (in terms of number of airplanes) all them mothballed US Air Force planes - and yet we still spend billions each year on new ones long before the old ones wear out - or are "used" (and gosh, I certainly am NOT suggesting we even want to use them).

What should be done though? What historical artifacts should be saved? How do we and how should we select them? Big navy ships obviously are hard to "tuck into" a Smithonian like museum. Likewise old locomotives and other cultural items (railroad stations, historical buildings, and the like) - should we destroy all of our past for the new - is all the new stuff going to be the same old CVS's and WalMarts everywhere?

aladdinsane12 said...

it is definitely a shame that the ships might be destroyed, but it also would seem like a waste to spend that much money to keep them just sitting there doing nothing. it's a tough decision. it would be cool if they could use the scrap to make a few boats. probably couldn't happen, though.

Martha said...

I'm going to start calling you History guy instead of intense guy! ;-)

yellowdoggranny said...

I'd say take the money that they need to fix the ship and really put it to good use..but we all know they'd just blow it on crap.

betty said...

there's a lot of history in either of those ships and you certainly don't want to see them "go the way side" but then you think of the money to restore them and keep them restored and you think "lots of people could get fed with it" so it indeed is a tale of two ships and not an easy decision on what to do with them. always fascinating bits of history you post Iggy; I do enjoy reading about them all

enjoy the weekend :)

betty

Rita said...

Maybe part of the problem is that especially since the industrial age we have begun to live in a disposable world? And in this consumer driven world there is not incentive to build things to last--whether it is a VCR or a ship. We have become wasteful, whether it is with fighter planes or the trees for all the excess government paperwork. Even our airlines are recently dealing with the fact that upkeep is extremely important and even planes don't last forever. The ships and planes--and all the cars we crunch up every year--are the larger items, but it's the diapers, plastic bags, and styrefoam that we are really drowning in. I don't usually like to talk about the negatives without having something positive to add, but sometimes I think humanity has turned into a kind of cancer on this earth. All I can say is that I think the earth will survive us.

Anonymous said...

Wow that is so sad all that money into that ship and it is in the shape it is in now, hopefully some rich people it end up buying it and showing it some love :o(

Rachel's Newsletter said...

Other than rich people making it their hobby or groups of interested individuals contributing to the cost of upkeep, I've no sentimentality about old metal objects that do not function either because they wore out or were replaced by more efficient technology. Better the materials in these things should be reused instead of new digging in the earth.

As to lamenting the government buying things that are now obsolete; we are the government and this is our way. In the past 10 years I've had 4 cell phones, 3 iPods, 5 digital cameras and though I passed each on to others to use, they will end up discarded.

The only hope I see is to stop all mineral mining. A new widget needs a mineral to make, it must be taken from obsolete stuff.

As a non-political aside; I had a book when I was a kid that was about the United States. The statistics about it and drawings of the staterooms, all that stuff. I wish I had that book today.

ChicagoLady said...

It would be nice if either or both ships could be "recycled", much the same way scrap metal from the twin towers was used to help build two new Navy vessels. Something more useful than "razor blades". Unfortunately, as you well know, metal objects don't last forever, especially those in contact with sea water. There comes a time when the cost to maintain it outweighs the historical value it has.

Pamela said...

another sad one chiming in!

Yankee Girl said...

As a history buff, I hate seeing old things like that get destroyed. I vote for doing some repairs and turning the boat itself into a museum...though that'll cost a ton of money.

I don't really know what the right answer is.

CTG Ponies said...

It's a shame that we lose a little bit of history every day.

AiringMyLaundry said...

Poor ship :(

MarmiteToasty said...

well, when I win the lottery I will buy if and I will commission YOU to 'do it up' :)

x

Joy De Vivre Design said...

It is so sad to see the things that we as a country allow to be destroyed or to just sit and decay. What was once state of the art we push aside once the new big thing comes along.

I enjoyed your sea turtle post as well. Very cool! We had a rescued sea turtle at our local zoo and I would always sit and watch him swim so peacefully. The last time I went I heard he had passed away. Ok sorry didn't mean to make it a sad story! :)

JenJen said...

Okay. I may get b-slapped, but I hafta say....I LOVE SUNKEN SHIPS! Titanic, those amazing ships at Pearl Harbor, and any other sunken treasure cove of oldness blows my mind.

I say we sink them and let them become one with the sea. Let's take all the toxic chemicals off the things and let the iorn and steel infuse the sea with nutrients. I would totally go see them....and the process would be free. As a matter of fact, it may actually create income from scuba-diving tourists. Like me.

Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig!

Deanna said...

I got very emotional while touring Old Ironsides in Boston when I visited it years ago. I hope they find a way to restore the ship and share its history with all.

Furry Bottoms said...

Where I used to live in California, our big ship to visit would be the Queen Mary. I loved that ship!!! It was so "haunted" and so cool, especially at night. I wish I had gotten down further to San Diego to visit their "pirate" ship. I should do that someday!

Wonderful pictures!

Martha said...

I remember visiting the USS Olympia on a school trip.. oh so long ago!