I, myself, enjoyed some coconut shrimp at the Islamorada Fish company next door.
Tuesday, March 2, 2010
Scenes from the Keys
A little secret? I really didn't want to come home from the Florida Keys even though the snow is melting steadily here... ...but I missed you folks and I've been busy trying to catch up with all your most recent posts since getting back. I think I've only a few more folks to catch up with now.
Anyway, I decided to do the next best thing to being back in the warm sunshine - watching some videos I took while I away - these videos were taken at the World Wide Sportman's (Bass Pro Shops) truly elegant store in Islamorada, Florida where they have renovated a huge fish tank that holds thousands of gallons of water and some fish as long as four feet long. I never buy anything there - the stuff is all made out of gold (if you go by pricing!) but I always enjoy looking at the fishes!
Just outside the back of the store is a marina and bait shop. I stood there transfixed (yes, I know, little things amuse little minds) by three little white Egrets that were enjoying snacking on large live shrimp, fresh out of the bait shop's live well. One of the Egrets was the "alpha" bird. It spent more time chasing the other two Egrets away than it did eating - but it ate a fair amount regardless! You'll see him fluff up his head crest feather and chase away one of those trespassing snackers in the very end of the video.
I, myself, enjoyed some coconut shrimp at the Islamorada Fish company next door.
I, myself, enjoyed some coconut shrimp at the Islamorada Fish company next door.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

21 comments:
I didn't even want to READ your post with 'Florida Keys' in the title, I was so green with envy.
But I did and now I can't get the idea of coconut shrimp out of my head. There's no place nearby that I know of that makes it, so I'm just going to down a big glass of rum instead.
I have to 'comiserate' some how!
:-)
So that's where you were. You lucky devil, you.
sigh*...coconut shrimp...sigh*
oh yeah, welcome back...
coconut shrimp*sigh
ah, vacation. when staring at fish and birds is a totally acceptable pasttime :) i never understood how those birds can swallow fish and shrimp whole with just those tiny beaks!
Hey Iggy, wow hope you had a very nice time on your trip..I also love the Bass Pro Shop, when we go to Concord Mills in Charlotte we like visiting the store there, and your right it is very expensive, I do love the huge fish tanks in their stores, thanks for sharing, and hope your having a good week HUGS
Welcome back! I'm so jealous...
I wanna go to the Keys... or Alaska... far far away from here. Not the weather I am trying to escape, just TARA!
I am so glad you had a great trip! I have always wanted to visit the keys, but have never made it past Orlando. One day! Thank you for the birthday wishes! :)
I missed you!
I so happy you enjoyed the Keys, my aunt is always talking about how lovely it is. I've never been but I think that's because the weather doesn't suite me...my skin freckles and I like my water in a cup not the air.
Don't you just love Bass Pro Shop? It the one stop fishing, camping, hunitng, outdoor supply shop. My dad lives there.
=)
that shop sounds like a great place to spend time; I enjoyed the video with the fish swimming; kind of relaxing watching them. Birds were cute too!
glad you enjoyed your time down there, but also glad you are back among us :)
betty
"get away you.....son of a gun....get outta here" Love it. LOL (he was only there for the free lunch)
I'm glad you had a nice time while you were away. :)
Yep. There's only one thing I don't like about Florida, and that's the fact that I always have to leave it to go home.
I'm glad you had a nice time while you were away. I am glad you're back though! :)
I am not outdoorsy and not really interested in stores such as Bass Pro Shops, but I would go there just to check out that tank!
Just getting caught up here - you were close by, should have come to visit me! Great shots, glad you had a good time :-)
I LOVE coconut shrimp. The video of the bird made me feel warm. The Florida sun must have felt amazing.
Enjoyed both the videos--alpha bird cracked me up.
Florida Keys...most beautiful sunset I have ever seen in my life. Was about ten years old. The ocean, sand, sun--beautiful. I know why you didn't want to come back! :)
That fish video was cool. Made me wish I was there. I definitely missed you! Welcome back. Somebody wasn't too happy with those egrets lol.
Coconut shrimp. Yum yum!
Welcome home! Oooh that fish video has me looking forward to next week. Got a trip planned for the Aquarium again and a couple of other places in Baltimore.
I'm glad you got to see some fun stuff while you were there. Sounds like the owner wasn't too happy about the Egrets stealing his shrimp, lol. Thanks for sharing the videos!
it sure took time for the egret to swallow that fish.
who was yelling? I guess I should read the other comments.. maybe the answer lies there.
Post a Comment