I wasn't sure I was coming or going or even where to, half the time.
My Grandfather had some blood transfusions as his red blood cell count had dropped to alarmingly low-levels and is expected to come home today - but my Step-Grandmother is in the intensive care unit with fluid in the lungs and massive disorientation (I've not heard yet what they think caused any of this).
I went down to the shore feeling a bit unsettled - but figured I might was well "do something" - and the weather was glorious. I took three walks - one to the southern-most end of Long Beach Island, New Jersey where - believe it or not - a big crowd of the hardy folks (fools?) were surfing.
This is the view from "South Beach" - the skyline is Atlantic City - about 12 miles further down the coast, nearly hidden in the massive sparkle the sun is putting on the surf.
Spring cleaning down the shore often involves shoveling and sweeping windblown sand from every nook and cranny. I also bundled up all the remaining trash, rinsed out the cans, raked up the lawn, smoothed out the pebble-stone hardscaping, trimmed some butterfly bushes, dug up some yucca bushes my dad insists are "weeds", and in general just tidied things up and puttered about.
I then took another walk to enjoy the sun - this time into the historic district - looking for a house that was once a store owned and operated by the father of a man that was a neighbor.
The neighbor was the town of Beach Haven's mail-carrier for many years and he was a very nice white-haired man that always had a smile for me and my younger brothers when we were growing up. He retired back in the mid-1980s and told me a story about his father who had a grocery store "over by the Engleside Hotel".
Apparently his father owned the house the mailman lived in - and in the summers, rented it to vacationers for some extra money while the mailman and his family lived over the grocery store. The family closed the store in 1963 when the mailman's father retired (or died - I don't remember which).
I decided to find the old grocery store. The only problem was the Old Engleside Hotel that the mailman spoke of, was torn down in 1943! So I walked to the bookstore and found a book with the town's history in it and learned the address of the old hotel. With the street address in my head and my camera in my hand I walked up and down about 20 blocks just looking at things.
...and then I found it. The building really doesn't look promising doesn't it? But wait, under the decrepit porch roof I noticed something -
The old grocery store's windows were intact!
I suddenly remembered seeing grocery store "stuff" like an old cash register and brass scale through these windows when I walked to Sunday School with my Grandmother back in the late 1960's.
I couldn't see through the windows this past weekend - but I was left wondering what, if anything, might remain of the grocery store behind the front door?

25 comments:
oh man..that is so cool..and seeing that ole grocery store made me think of mrs. weeks grocery store in mesquite, texas when i was a kid..where me and my cousins would go (old wooden sqeaky floors) and buy dr pepper for .10c and bring the bottle back for 2cents wouth of candy..sigh*..i think the store is still there..all closed up like yours...sad...
that grocery store/house is so cool! I hope they keep those windows forever... It's definitely a part of history!
What an amazing place, man. I mean, minus the Jersey Shore gayrods. I hope your family recovers and finds some healthy peace! Getting old blows.
On a lighter note, I nominated you for the Sunshine Award today on my blog :) Check out my most recent post.
Really? Surfing already? Totally crazy.
I hope your family recovers soon. I will keep them in my thoughts.
There is an old general store about a half hour from my house that I just HAVE to stop at whenever I pass it. It makes me feel like I am stepping into a different time. Back to the Future style.
I wish all the best for your Grandparents Iggy!!
I loved this story and I absolutely loved the pictures of the beach and of the old grocery store and it would really had been great to see inside. I love seeing old buidlings and houses and it always makes me wonder who lived there and what was it like.
Thanks so much for sharing this story, other than your Grandparents not being well, it did make me smile, I can't wait to get to the beach and walk barefoot in the sand :o)
HUGS!
I'm not sure if I want to hire you for spring cleaning or as a Private Investigator. ha ha!
Good job on both, by the way!
Hope they get grandma on the mend --
I hope your grandfather was able to go home today. Your step-grandmother's condition sounds very serious. I hope she is better soon. Will keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers.
Those pictures were amazing. Such beautiful weather and wonderful scenery down that way over the weekend.
I'm glad you were able to find that old grocery store during your walk. Those pictures are treasures, too. I wouldn't mind peeking thru the windows to see what's left in there. I bet there is a story or two to be told from that adventure. :)
Well dang me Iggy. My wife and I were talking about going to LBI this weekend but it didn't quite work out. Might have seen you there.
What a great discovery Ig! I sure hope your Grandfather and Step-Grandmother will be ok! I'll say a little prayer for them *hugs*
does someone live there? i want to have olde tyme grocery store windows! that would be awesome!
i'm so sorry to hear about your grandparents- i hope they make a quick recovery. at least you live in a beautiful place so you can walk, reflect, and relax.
its amazing how the beaches are different on the east and west coast; gorgeous pictures you posted. But the surfers are the same, LOL. If there are good waves, rain or sun, they will be out there catching them here no matter what the water temperature might be
hoping your grandfather/step-grandmother feel better soon and make full recoveries. I think it is neat you still have them in your life, mine pass on such a long time ago I never had any relationship with them
I'm sure if you head west, we could find some spring cleaning for you to do here :)
and how fascinating about that store and your discovery! I would be with you, I would want to see what was behind the windows
betty
Even though hard work was involved, it looks like you had an amazing weekend. Any day near the ocean is a good day!
I'm still having trouble figuring out which way is up these days!!! I am hoping it is the end of the winter doldrums, even though I totally LOVED the winter!
Awesome, I love places like this that are full of history and old character/charm.
I hope your grandparents are feeling better!!!!
Anyone that deems an old building worthy of appreciation and apparently loves the beach is worthy of following!
Love the photos..especially the water.
Sending positive thoughts for your grandfather/stepgrandmother too.
I'm so sorry to hear about your family's health issues. Getting older doesn't sound like much fun!!! Hugs!
Those windows are amazing!! I love "vintage" stuff like that and it's disappearing so completely these days. Great sleuthing!!
Glad your grandpa is better and I hope your step-grandma gets better soon. Does sound like it could be serious. Sending prayers.
How cold is that water!? I couldn't tell if they had those suits on to keep warm or not.
What an interesting detective adventure. Love the old signs--the proof! I wondered if somebody lives there and was going to come out and chase you and your camera away--or wouldn't it be like an old movie for them to invite you in and the old store was there as you remembered it?! hehe!
In our neighborhood we had this little yellow house that had one gas pump out front--used to ride our bikes a few miles to get there--and they had this endless "penny" candy counter inside! Some were even 2 or 3 for a penny (Lickamade). But even back then (late 50s) not all of it was a penny. Some bigger candies cost 2 or 3 cents (like Slo-Pokes) and those huge Hershey bars were 5 cents. You could save up a quarter and come home with a whole bag of candy! Thanks for the memories, Iggy! :):)
Love the pics of the old time signs in the store window! Love all the other pics too. Hope your relatives are recovering. :)
Walking up and down for 20 blocks...you were determined to find the grocery store! I really like your antique-y shots.
Hope your family is recovering.
I LOVE old stores.
I hope your grandparents will be okay.
I hope all is weel with your family, it's horrible when your loved ones are ill.
Car troubles...story of my life before I was made to sell my volvo. Hope that works out soon.
I hope your grandparents are doing better. Especially your step grandmother.
It is good that you got out and kept busy. Cleaning up after a long winter is never fun.
I love old towns and all the history. I'll bet there are grocery items behind those windows.
My car is in the shop today too. Bummer!
I hope your grandparents are on the mend. It's always so scary when you don't know what's going on.
You've got some beautiful spots here.
Hugs and love I send you grandparents for a speedy recovery.....
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the windows on that old shop..... dam, I hope whoever eventually has the place keeps the windows..... I might have to sell this place and buy that one instead :)
Wow Iggy, you work like a work horse :)
LOVELY photos.....
LOVELY history...
LOVELY you..
x
I'm still loving that first picture. Simply beautiful.
Hopin today's a better day for the grandparents.
Post a Comment