New Jersey, of course, claims all the "good parts" of New York City, including the island that the Statue of Liberty stands on. While the natives 'over there' can and do debate who owns what and where the state line should be drawn, New Jersey undoubtedly has some of the finest views of the New York City skyline.
But a tugboat pulling barge full of trees? What is this? I had to find out.
Robert Smithson (January 2, 1938–July 20, 1973) was an American artist famous for his land art. Smithson was born in Passaic, New Jersey and studied painting and drawing in New York City at the Art Students League.
Two of his works, his 'Spiral Jetty' (1970) and 'Floating Island to Travel Around Manhattan Island' (1970-2005) are probably the best known (not to say well-known!) and are rather interesting, at least to me.

Built of mud, salt crystals, basalt rocks, earth, and water on the northeastern shore of the Great Salt Lake near Rozel Point, a 1,500-foot-long curlicue jetty extends into lake. As the water levels rises and lowers, the salt left behind has crystallized on the dark black rocks.
Unique to say the least. So what's the deal with the barge full of trees?
Smithson was a radical who enjoyed musing on nature and the cosmos. He revered Frederick Law Olmsted, the designer of New York City's Central Park, and his floating island project called for a barge of vegetation to be towed around Manhattan by tugboat.
This can be seen as an odd, off-beat, kind of homage to his nineteenth-century land art predecessor. As Olmstead's Central Park is, in effect, an artificial model of nature, so the floating island is an artificial model of Central Park.
Floating Island to Travel Around Manhattan was conceived in 1970 by Smithson but it was never realised in his lifetime.
It was thirty five years later, to coincide with a major retrospective of his oeuvre at the Whitney Museum, Smithson's miniature island finally and dramatically set sail.
In September 2005, the floating island of Robert Smithson was created in about a week, in a ragged-looking barge yard on Staten Island using a 30-by-90-foot rusty barge, 10 trees, 3 huge rocks, a bunch of shrubs, rolls of sod and a whole lot of dirt.
There was no blueprint to follow except Ms. Holt's (his widow) memories and guidance and Mr. Smithson's rudimentary sketch - which was very specific in some areas, for example, specifying the island's trees were to be native to the New York region and that there should be moss growing on one boulder; yet vague in others, no dimensions; no color scheme; only a rough ideas about the topography and placement of bushes and trees that Smithson might have wanted.
I think the whole thing was pretty cool!
The only thing I would have done differently would have been to put an orange traffic cone on the barge somewhere. :) I found all of these photos on the Internet while looking for the story.
Spiral Jetty
The first one of the floating island came from Brain Sholis' Flickr site and he has some really interesting pictures. I'd recommend a visit if you have time.
Floating Island off the Ruined Pier
Floating Island Going by Man Reading

25 comments:
I definitely remember the Spiral Jetty from my Architecture classes way back, but I've never heard of or seen this floating island! I wonder if people can hop on for a ride and pretend they're deserted somewhere...
That is really cool! The pics and the info.
It would definitely be cooler with an orange cone, but adding Chester would make it badass.
You make history sound so interesting!!
very cool! i guess i should watch pbs so i can learn something! LOL!
That's so cool! Leave it to you to find out the history!
I'll bet they would take Cappy on loan. That was interesting.
I must have food on the brain. When I saw the thumbnail picture before opening your blog, I thought, did Iggy bake a chocolate cake...
Oh my word. I am losing it!
I've never heard of this and I'm a NYer!! Seriously cool.....like you!
I like the guy reading his paper like "Tugboat pulling an island... nothing new" He must be a new yorker.
I love the photos a lot..but really..that's pretty strange..
That's pretty cool. Whodathunkit...an island floating around an island. :p
Only in NY would they make a barge island to be pulled by a tug on the river.
That's really cool!
Wow! What people can't think of, eh? The photo of the man reading and ignoring this unusual sight floating by--cracked me up!
The link to that young photographer was really interesting. He really has an eye!
Cappy and you would have enjoyed a little Island float by, I'm sure. Even dirt looks good to me right now--anything green or water flowing--hehe! ;)
We don't have many trees out here in west texas..loan me a few? lol and make sure they aren't mesquite!
I am reading this over my lunch break, and my lunch got cold... Thanks a lot. :)
By the way, I was watching WETA (a PBS affiliate broadcasting as well) the other day. The topic - what brings you happiness. This has nothing to do with your post or anything, but I found it interesting that money definitely brings you happiness (which most people don't admit, but I agree 100%). Marriage? Eh. Married people are not more or less happier than unmarried. Kids? NO.
Wow that is just so cool about the trees and the Island thingy that is breathtaking, thanks for the history Iggy!!
I don't know, if you look really hard, I think I saw an orange cone in that picture :) (wouldn't an orange cone be part of a park presentation? seems like some of Koda's best friends are cones at parks :)
fascinating, what a site to have seen in person; too bad the artist wasn't alive to see it visualize through his eyes
betty
Too cool!
That last picture looks so peaceful.
Imagine bird watching there -- .
I love it.
I love that spiral jetty. That's about the coolest thing i've ever heard of. I definitely think am orange cone would greatly enhance the floating island. I keep telling you, Iggy, you should have been an history teacher. I would have paid a lot more attention in class if you were my teacher. HUGS
thanks so much for stopping by my blog!
i love art like this- it's so unique, fun, and anyone can enjoy it.
i only wish i could see it in person!
You always find the most interesting things. A floating park. What a concept.
Very cool!! I grew up in the suburbs of NYC in NJ but had never heard about this.
Right now I wish I had a floating island where no one could find me. Except my kids, once a week.
I love love art like that.
Post a Comment