Friday, January 15, 2010

Longwood Garden's Magnificent Organ

Some of you may remember Philadelphia legend Larry Farrari (1932–1997). He was an American organist who hosted "The Larry Ferrari Show" from 1954 to 1997 on WPVI-TV in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, a weekly Sunday morning half hour program of organ music.

a huge green fern
A huge green fern grows outside the door to Longwood Garden's Ballroom.

I'm sure his spirit is smiling. Recently renovated, Longwood Garden's Aeolian Organ is once again in full magnificent operational splendor.

This is the world's largest "house" pipe organ.

In January, 1929, Pierre du Pont ordered an Aeolian organ for Longwood's new Ballroom. Designed by Longwood's own organist, Firmin Swinnen, a Belgian musician who moved to the US in the 1920s and became a prominent theater organist in New York City, the instrument was custom built in Garwood, NJ, and cost $122,700 ($1,520,879.57 in 2008 dollars).

It has 10,010 pipes divided into 146 ranks (or sets), 237 stops and couplers, five 32-foot pedal stops, and 61 combination pistons. Its 364 percussion tones include chimes, drums, cymbal, and 9-foot Weber concert grand piano playable from the organ console. A Duo-Art roll player could play the entire organ automatically.

The instrument weighs 55 tons and is installed in nine chambers that, together, are 63 feet wide, 23 feet deep, and 40 feet tall.

The chambers are located behind damask-covered openings along the north wall of the Ballroom. Wind is supplied by electric blowers totaling 72 horsepower.

the organ console with a bewildering array of knobs, lights, piano keys, and foot pedals
Moller Console, 1959

This 4-manual (keyboard) console was built 1958-59 by the M. P. Moller company of Hagerstown, Maryland to replace the original 1929 organ console. It is made of bleached mahoggany and has 244 keys and 460 controls for the hands, and 32 pedal keys and 40 controls for the feet.

The top 21 lights indicate how far open the expression shutters are, and the remaining 10 lights show when special features are activated.

a large room completely filled with organ pipes
Organ Chambers - the expression shutters are open on the far wall

Behind 2'-thick glass windows are 5,360 of the Longwood Organ's 10,010 pipes.

Five rooms of pipes are visible. An additional 4 rooms with 4,650 pipes and numberous percussion instruments are upstairs and cannot be seen. Also hidden is the Blower Room in the basement.

another room filled with organ pipes
Each pipe room ("division") is separated from it neighbor by concrete walls, except on the Ballroom side where expression shutters on 7 of the 9 rooms that can be opened and closed by the organist to control the volume.

The entire instrument is played from the console in the Ballroom, or by a computer.

another room filled with organ pipes
The glass made it difficult for me to get a clear shot of the pipe rooms, but here you can see the hundreds of pipes ranging from tractor-trailer sized mufflers on the right to little pencil-sized ones on the floor on the left.

pipes with a man dwarfed next to them, the pipes are perhaps 35 feet tall and 3 feet across
I'm sure this thing has some pretty wicked bass.

Next to the pipe rooms, there was a photographic display showing other organs of similar magnitude. I was pleasantly surprised to find I have actually heard a number of them played, including Wannamaker's (now Macy's) Department store in downtown Philadelphia with 28,482 pipes! (get a load of that console!), the Convention Center in Atlantic City with 33,114 pipes (largest and loudest in the world), as well as those in several huge cathedral churchs in Europe.

Added: A video showing the organ being played along with the outdoor fountains (here).

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting post. :)

jewelrybyrebecca said...

Wow, that must sound amazing.

betty said...

can you imagine if it was $122,000 in 1927 what it would cost today? and amazing an organ can be played with a console or by a computer; we really are letting computers take over too much, don't you think? hearing it in person by a person playing it would probably be very enjoyable to hear :)

always enjoy your "road trips" and then sharing them with us :)

enjoy the weekend

betty

Anonymous said...

Iggy your blogs just keep getting more interesting I loved this, wow those pipes are really huge I would love to be able to see all that in person, thanks so much for sharing the pics..I would love to be talented enough to play something like that. Thanks again Iggy, wonderful post..HUGS

AliceKay said...

Wow...that was awesome!

Martha said...

Great post!

Melissa said...

I always learn new things after reading your posts.
The last picture makes me want to hear Bach's organ Passacaglia BWV 582.


Back to my loopy vicodin induced nap, have a sweet weekend.

yellowdoggranny said...

wow..I've always wanted to see a big organ.

Matty said...

I sure do remember Larry. I had forgotten all about him until your post. That brings back memories of him playing the organ.

Queenie Jeannie said...

Awesome!!! I love those large organs and the unique sound quality they have. Magnificent really.

I hope you are having a fabulous long weekend!

Deanna said...

That organ is amazing. $122,000? You could probably add another 0 today! Did hearing it play bother your ears? I'd love to hear the amazing music!

Huge hugs. I hope life is treating you like a King this weekend.

Rita said...

The fern is gorgeous! There's something so peace inducing to me about ferns.

And the pipe organs!! I think of churches and choirs and angels! When you are in the room with one being played live your entire body vibrates with the organ music--and even a good recording can do that. (I turned up the sound--hehe!) I think pipe organs almost send me to another time period!! I love them! But they are not something you run across much this day and age. Thanks Iggy! I would probably have been listening to Larry if I lived in Philly. ;)

Pamela said...

Now all I need to know is why -- in the old movies -- the bad guy always sits down and plays a scary tune on one of these amazing instruments.

(giggle)

ChicagoLady said...

What an amazing instrument the pipe organ is. The talent and coordination required to play one of those is astounding. The video was great, seeing the fountains and hearing the organ music, just beautiful.

MarmiteToasty said...

ya cant beat a big organ LOL

I would LOVE to see these, absolutely fasinating....

x

AiringMyLaundry said...

Cool.

What an organ!

Anonymous said...

Very impressive. I should put listening to some of them on my "to do list."


Thank you for sharing!

Namaste'

g-h (Morri)

Anonymous said...

Wow that's cool!

jmt said...

When TO was playing the accordion, I wondered why the organ had never died with the accordion. Now I know. It'd be WAY to difficult to dispose of the evidence.

LadyStyx said...

Holy cow! Could you imagine having to maintain all those pipes (cleaning, repairs, etc)???