Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The President's House in Philadelphia

The President's House (demolished), was formerly located on the 500 block of Market Street, and served as the official residence of the President of the United States for 10 years while the nation's capital was located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Two Presidents occupied the house while in office, George Washington from 1790 to 1797, and John Adams, from 1797 to 1800.

drawing of a brick house
The house experienced many interesting moments in its use as the executive mansion. These include the signing of the Fugitive Slave Act of 1793 and the Alien and Sedition Acts. During the Revolutionary War, Benedict Arnold occupied the house when he began his betrayal.

The house is in the news once more as the National Park Service is digging at the site and is developing a much delayed exhibit, as part of the Independence National Historical Park, commemorating the house and all of its former residents, including the enslaved Africans amongst them, a man named Hercules, who was George Washington's head cook.

the green park in front of indepence hall
This picture (from here) shows the site where the house stood. Note, I didn't take this picture and do not know these people standing in the puddles.

You can also see Independence Hall, the site of the signing of the Declaration of Independence in the background. The Liberty Bell is in the long building on the right.

I'm very familiar with the site of the house as it was located where James and I got stuck pushing Karla's wheelchair in a torrential downpour on the day we went to visit the "bell". The curb where we struggled while standing a large puddle has been dug up - and happens to be right where the photographer of this picture was standing at the time they took this picture!

a black man wearing a chef's cap and apron
Anyway, Hercules was one of 9 enslaved Africans to work in the Philadelphia presidential household. The others were: Richmond (his son), Oney Judge, Moll, Austin, Christopher Sheels, Giles, Paris, and Joe - along with more than 70 white servants over the course of Washington's occupancy. Gradually, the enslaved Africans were replaced by white German indentured servants.

Hercules was "a celebrated artiste ... as highly accomplished a proficient in the culinary art as could be found in the United States." He was given the privilege of selling the extra food from the Philadelphia kitchen, which earned him over $100 a year (at a time when most people made about $100 a year).

Pennsylvania law at the time allowed the enslaved to legally obtain their freedom, provided they established a 6-month residency in Pennsylvania. To prevent this, non-resident slaveholders took their slaves out of the state before the 6-month deadline. A 1788 amendment to the law prohibited this rotation of slaves in and out of Pennsylvania.

But George Washington knowingly violated this amendment to the Gradual Abolition Law. He maintained that his presence in Philadelphia was a consequence of its being the national capital, that he remained a citizen of Virginia, and he was careful that neither he nor his slaves spent the six continuous months in Pennsylvania necessary to establish legal residency.

Hercules, however, escaped to freedom in March 1797, at the end of Washington's presidency.

About a month after Hercules' escape, Prince Louis-Philippe of France visited the Washington's at Mount Vernon in Virginia. His manservant spoke with Hercules's 6-year-old daughter, and ventured that she must have been upset that she would never see her father again. The girl reportedly replied, "Oh! Sir, I am very glad, because he is free now."

By the provisions of Washington's will, Hercules was legally emancipated in 1801, making him no longer a runaway fugitive but a free man.

Because Hercules' wife Alice had been a "dower" slave, owned by the estate of Martha Washington's first husband, their children could not be freed by George Washington's will (since legally, they didn't "belong" to George). Instead, all of Hercules' children remained enslaved, and were among the 153 "dowers" slaves divided up by Martha Washington's four grandchildren, following her 1802 death.

More information about the house is (here)

18 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

every time i read stories about slavery it makes me cry

Yankee Girl said...

Leland and I are going to be spending a couple of days in Philly in July and I am expecting you to be our personal tour guide.

And you did promise to help us find some yummy cheesesteaks!

Deanna said...

The fact that they have a portrait of Hercules is amazing. And that is an amazing and sad story. I can honestly say I didn't realize the nation's capital was in PA at any point in time. Actually, I guess I knew it, but had forgotten!

Once again, I love the history.

Huge hugs!

jewelrybyrebecca said...

So, since those days have we come a long way? or not so much???

AliceKay said...

Great history lesson for this Pennsylvania native. I want to visit the Philadelphia area soon. Been thru it quite a few times, but never actually stopped to "see" it. (the Philadelphia Naval Hospital in 1976 doesn't count)

Mmmm....cheesesteaks. Good stuff!

Slavery seemed to be so common back then. The mini-series "Roots" showed us just how badly slaves were treated by "their owners". Sure opened up my eyes to the cruelty some of them endured.

Interesting post, Iggy.

Matty said...

I love anything to do with early American history, especially the period of the 1700's into the 1800's. I know so many facts that many people would consider useless information. But it's interesting to me. And yet, here in these articles were more facts that I didn't know. It's true that you learn something new every day. Thanks for a very insightful trip into American history.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love this post Iggy, I loved the John Adams series was that put out recently on DVD, I really liked seeing the picture of where the house once stood, HUGS

aladdinsane12 said...

what a horrible thing to finally escape and gain freedom, but have your children still enslaved. poor hercules. it makes me sad, but i can't keep a straight face because his name is HERCULES!

aladdinsane12 said...

i just realized it's probably the french version of the name and is probably pronounced "Hercule," but i don't care- i'm gonna giggle anyways!

ChicagoLady said...

Thank you for sharing this important historic information. I wish more people could or would take an interest in our nation's history. If we don't know where we came from, how can we know where we're going?

betty said...

love when you highlight the history around where you live; always fascinating to read

our 30th is this year and we are playing around with where we are going to go to celebrate. We might be heading east, I echo Yankee Girl's comment; if we end up there, I do hope you will be our tour guide :)

betty

Rita said...

Fascinating, as usual. I always enjoy the links, too.

I loved the John Adams miniseries, too. Wasn't glorified. I found it riviting!

You live in the most historical part of our nation, Iggy. I love when you share that with us. :)

Queenie Jeannie said...

Wow, what interesting history! I didn't even realize that Washington owned slaves!!!

Thank you for sharing!! Off to read more info!

sugarlens said...

Ah, would love to visit Philly again soon. Last time we didn't even make it to Geno's or Pat's!

Pamela said...

the one thing that makes me feel better is that that slave business didn't last centuries.

The union began in the late 1770s... and by 1860s the war brought slavery to an end. Still... it was 90 years toooo long.

Pamela said...

ps. Cokie Roberts two books "Founding Mothers" and "Ladies of Liberty"
gives such amazing insight into the women who held the country together for the men. really. It would have never become our nation without them.

jmt said...

I can never decide how I feel after reading history of this nature. On one hand, it's always fascinating (to me) to read about another's life when told in stories such as these. They're interesting, provocative, and thoughtful.

On the other hand, I get so confused how, as a people, slave owners felt no regard for keeping obviously similar beings in "control" as if they wielded special gifts than their counter partner. How did they come to that thought process? I've read some of it, but it's such a foreign concept to me that I can't fathom getting there in my mind.

Anonymous said...

Interesting post.