There is something magical about small trains - these two young boys watched Thomas the really useful Steam Engine go around and round the track while their mother waited patiently in the cold with a younger girl in a baby stroller.
I have to admit - I watched for a good while and felt years younger too.
Inside the conservatory, the magic continued. I got there in time to see the late evening sun slowly color the sky a magnificent orange and pink sherbet. Longwood Gardens spends a considerable amount of time trying to create new varieties of flowers, orchids and poinsettias, it seems, in particular.
Last year, this hall was filled with 1,100 pounds of cranberries (pictures here). This year, it filled with 5,500 potted flowers. The bright sun was shining into this wing of the conservatory when I first got there. After strolling through the big building, having dinner, and walking the grounds, darkness came.
And the magic remains - perhaps even more breathtaking than before...
...and as always, I enjoyed the lighted fountain show. I think this is my favorite part, even if the wind was blowing loose snow from the trees and it was very cold. Hot chocolate-flavored coffee awaited in a thermos in my car.
I added a short video in the end of this one showing someone in the dark foreground "directing" the fountains with much vigor. I had to laugh - I hadn't noticed him at the time I took the video.
I'll have another entry (or two) of the gardens. This year's delightful surprise was the re-opening of the refurbished house organ with its 10,010 pipes! Some more pictures are in Flickr.

29 comments:
Those pictures are beautiful. Everything looks so magical- makes me wish it was Christmas again!
Thank you for sharing your visit! It really is beautiful.
Great pics. I went to Longwood Gardens back in 2008. It was probably THE hottest day of the summer. Despite the heat, I enjoyed it very much. The Gardens all decked out during the holidays must be breathtaking!
It must be magical there around the holidays.
Thanks.
This is stunning!
Magical is the right word to describe this place. I loved the pics and the video was awesome!
What a lovely place to visit, I wish I could have gone too, thanks for sharing the pics I loved them and I loved the video!!
You always find the most magical places, I thank you for sharing them with us humble followers.
=)
Absolutely beautiful!
Also, I adore Calvin and Hobbes. I think the snowmen strips are my very favorite!
This place is beautiful. My wife is a garden and flowers person, so she always enjoys going there. And I agree with you. There is something about trains that hits your inner child.
What beautiful and magical shots Iggy! Hope you are staying warm! *hugs*
What an absolutely lovely and magical place to visit!! The water fountain show is really cool--and that guy was fun! A train can stop a boy in his tracks--hehe! I love the fact you are making these videos for us!! :):)
what a magical place! loved the video of the water fountain; soooo cool!! boys and trains I think go hand in hand; something mesmerizing with watching them go around the track, perhaps they dream of adventures taken by rail :)
thanks for sharing it with us; you really live in a neat place :)
betty
Absolutely beautiful! How long will the gardens be decorate for Christmas? What will come next? Tulips for spring?
so beautiful...but i love them trains.
I love fountains when they're all lit up like that. Very pretty.
Oh wow! That was awesome!!! I would have really enjoyed going there.
When we come to PA, I want to go to Longwood Gardens - even if it isn't Christmas time. The pictures are just beautiful. Will check out Flicr when I have time to drool.
I remember the fountain from last year. It is cool how they coreograph it to music.
Oh, and that picture of the two little boys gazing at the train is probably my favorite. They way they are dressed, it could have been take 50 years ago. It is timeless.
How do you do it? I have been glad for a while that Christmas is over, but now I want it back!
Absolutely beautiful! Love all the pictures and the colors. You have so many interesting places nearby to visit. You are lucky to live in such an interesting state.
Gosh, that garden is beautiful.
Those flowers are pretty. Really pretty.
Why did I feel jinxed by the two boys and a girl in the stroller? Now you'll be on the blame list if this baby is a girl.
It's a beautiful place. I need to make more time to visit again.
Someday, I hope to get that Legos train set. I think it's called Emerald Express? Not sure, but it is so expensive! I would love to have that around the house during the holidays.
That's awesome! You have the most creative outings!
Watching moving trains is awesome. I enjoyed like a kid. :)
The pics were nice. Discription was interesting.
I liked ur blog. :)
Are you staying snuggly warm???
The kids standing in front of the trainset is such a perfect picture. Have a great weekend Iggy!
Post a Comment