Thursday, January 21, 2010

The 24 Hours of Le Mans

The 24 Hours of Le Mans (24 Heures du Mans) is the world's oldest sports car race in endurance racing, held annually since 1923 near the town of Le Mans, France.

Commonly known as the Grand Prix of Endurance, it runs on a course containing closed public roads that test a car and driver's ability to be quick, but also to last over a 24 hour period.

This drove engineering innovation in not only mechanical reliability but also in fuel-efficiency, since the nature of endurance racing requires as little time to be spent in the pits as possible.

The race traditionally began with the Le Mans start, in which cars were lined up alongside the pit wall in the order in which they qualified. The starting drivers would stand on the opposite side of the race track. When the French flag dropped to signify the start of the race, the drivers would run to their cars, which they would have to enter and start without assistance, before driving away.

This became a safety issue in the late 1960s when drivers would ignore their safety harnesses (seatbelts), a then recent invention, and be hurt or killed in early laps while struggling to put them on while driving.

However, in 1971 this method would be done away with as a rolling start (sometimes known as an Indianapolis start) was introduced, which has been used ever since.

With the high speeds associated with Le Mans, the track has seen a number of accidents, some of which have been fatal to drivers and spectators. The worst moment in Le Mans history was during the 1955 race when a racing car involved in an accident flew into the crowd, killing the driver (Pierre Levegh) and 84 spectators.

Last Sunday, my Dad and I went to the Simeone Foundation Museum in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to look at nearly 100 preserved historical race cars. The museum's catch phrase is "The first race was conceived when the second car was built."

In one exhibit, there are more than a dozen, very rare, Le Man's race cars.

1927 Stutz Black Hawk
1929 Stutz Supercharged Le Mans
1929 Dupont Le Mans Speedster
1933 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Lemans
1934 Mg K3 Magnette
1936 Aston Martin Le Mans
1936 Delahaye 135S
1938 Peugeot Darlmat Lemans
1954 Ferrari 375MM
1956 Maserati 300s
1958 Ferrari Testa Rossa
1966 Ford GT40 MK II
1967 Ford MK IV
1970 Porsche 917LH


Looking at these Le Mans contestants, it is striking how much technology has changed over four decades. The dramatic transformation between the 1933 Alfa (pictured above)and the 1970 Porsche is all due to competition. Also striking is the glossy shine!


As the competition for speed increased (the Porsche 917 was capable of 240mph), so did the use of aerodynamic design to help make the cars more stable, thus the 917LH’s long rear tail, fins and wing.

There are more pictures in Flickr if you are interested in looking.

---------------

On Tuesday afternoon, my Dad suffered a heart attack. He has been in the hospital since then, but this morning he was sitting up, reading the brochure I picked up at the car museum and talking about "all the neat cars we saw". He is eating well and the doctor says he can go home tomorrow. I can't begin to express how relieved and delighted I am to hear this news.

I want to go to many more museums and many more places we both have interests in - and there are so many we have in common - so call me selfish if you want - I'm thrilled he should be back on his feet and going places again soon.

Get all better soonest, Dad!

23 comments:

aladdinsane12 said...

i'm so sorry about your father, but it's great that he's feeling better. sometimes we need things like that to happen to remember how important the people in our lives are.

the race sounds pretty intense! the first car (the blue one) looks just like a car i saw at a car museum in Belgium. very cool.

jewelrybyrebecca said...

OMG!!!! I am so shocked to hear about your dad. I'm also very happy to hear that he is feling better.

Get Well Soon Iggy's Dad!

Yankee Girl said...

My heart stopped when I read about your dad. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. I'm sending lots of love your way and one very big hug.

Those cars blow my mind. Very cool.

Yankee Girl said...

I just realized that saying my heart stopped was probably a poor choice of words.

I should have my stomach dropped, or my breath was caught in my throat, or something else a little more sensitive.

AliceKay said...

I was sorry to hear about your dad the other day, but I'm thankful things are going okay for him so far. I'll keep him (and you and your mom) in my thoughts and prayers. I hope he behaves himself when he gets home. :)

The car museum looks cool, and I loved viewing the pics. I'm sure you and your dad will have more adventures together soon. Remember to take care of yourself while you're taking care of your parents. *hugs*

Martha said...

I am sorry to hear about your dad's heart attack, but thankful that he is doing well and will be coming home. I pray for his continued recovery and the many adventures that the two of you will share!

AiringMyLaundry said...

I hope your Dad is doing better!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad. How scary.
((((Hugs))))

Deanna said...

Iggy, I started a post that I have not been able to complete, entitled "I cried". News of your dad opened all sorts of buried hurts and regrets. Treasure both your mom and dad. I say that, already knowing that you do. I am so relieved he is ok and you are ok and will keep you both in my prayers. Your mom, especiall, is in my prayers.

Huge hugssssss!!!!!

Melissa said...

Know that you,your father and you family are in my heart and in my prayers.

If I could I would hug you and I don't really pass those out lightly.
*Smile*

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh Iggy, I just went breathless with the news about your dad, but I was so relieved when you said he was doing better, Im so glad..I liked your post about the cars, I loved looking at the pics, they are really cool looking, and how tragic the accident was about the car flying into the crowd :o( HUGS you tight Iggy!!!!

ChicagoLady said...

Iggy, I am so relieved to hear that your dad is doing ok! You are very fortunate to still have your parents with you. Please continue doing things with them that you all enjoy for as long as you have them. With all the memories you've shared with us, I know it won't be difficult. Huge hugs!

Matty said...

Amazing how the top speed of the those first cars was nothing compared to today's models. I always like watching those old black and white films of the early racers. In those days, they thought they were going fast.

yellowdoggranny said...

oh Karl, that's awful...I'll light candles all day tomorrow and sending up all sorts of prayers for him and you ...
glad he's better, but still must have scared you...so sorry.

betty said...

oh Iggy! so sorry to hear about your dad but so glad he might be able to come home tomorrow! I'm glad he got the help he needed when he needed it! that museum sounded interesting to visit; I hope there will be many more adventures for the two of you to share like this in the future

keeping you in my prayers

betty

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your Dad is doing better. *Hugs to him, and to you and your Mom*

I hope you and your Dad get to make many more trips together to all the places you both want to visit, and to some you want to see again after enjoying so much when you visited them before. :)

Rita said...

I am thrilled that your dad is doing better and will be home soon and you'll be able to go on more excursions together. It sounds like you guys had a great time! You have so many great pictures or so many odd-looking cars--hehe!

I had no idea a car actually flew into the crowd and killed all those people! That was shocking to hear. I knew those races were dangerous for your ears, but I had no idea how dangerous they have been/could be. You hear about these fluke accidents--like planes crashing at air shows, too.

All of that makes you appreciate what you have and who you have in your life. ;) Best to your dad!

LadyStyx said...

So good to hear that dad's gonna be home soon!

junyah said...

Sorry to hear about your dad IGgY, dads mean a lot to us and we only get one, take good care of him..

likes the pictures of the race cars.i was into raceing when i was young and foolish, im just foolish now.i watch i dont get in em.. lol JR

Martha said...

Oh no! I was enjoying the car entry and then read about your dad! Thank God he is ok! That is so scary. He will be in my prayers. Keep us posted with how he's doing and send him my get well soon wishes! *hugs*

Joy De Vivre Design said...

I am so sorry to hear about your dad. It is great to hear that he is feeling better. It sounds like he is looking forward to the next time you can spend together as well! Best of luck to him with a speedy recovery and for you and your nerves dealing with all of this.

Queenie Jeannie said...

Hugs Iggy!!!! What a scare you all must have had! So glad your Dad seems to be doing so well. Modern medicine is really something!! Prayers for your whole family!!!!

MarmiteToasty said...

((((((((((((Iggy)))))))))))))))) Ive tears in my eyes about hearing of your dad... Im just so relieved he is doing good.... scarey for you and your family for a moment...

You would BOTH love Beulieu Motor Musuem over here, I did a post about it a few years back.... actually if you look in my old posts its in the January or Febuary 08 I think.... one day I might get to take you there....

know you are loved.....

ps.... believe it or not the flowers still take pride of place on my kitchen table where they make me smile every day :)

x