Thursday, November 12, 2009

Worm Gruntin' Festival

As some of you already know, I'm a well travelled guy, having been to almost every one of these United States and several dozen foreign countries too - I've seen a lot of sights.

From empty desert expanses, cities full of 100+ floors of neck crinkin' skyscrapers, to endless vistas of blue wind-swept waters.

From spooky empty ghost towns to bumper-to-bumper cars and people - from the totally ancient like Stonehenge to the sparkling new ... with all things human - the variety is never ending and I'll never be able to truthfully say, "Now I've seen everything!" But... sometimes I have to wonder.

A case in point - Last week while driving around in the "forgotten coast" of Florida, I ventured through a small town that appeared to consist of a single un-traffic-lighted crossroads with a florist, a recording studio, a town hall, an IGA supermarket untouched by modern electronics, and antique store named "Sisters Antiques and Uniques" where I spotted this store front banner:

store front banner saying worm gruntin festival t-shirts new 2009!
I had driven by but I just had to stop and go back and see what this was all about.

At the Sisters Antiques and Uniques, an older woman came out to greet me saying, "Hello! y'all like to see those t-shirts?" I looked around me to see just who "y'all" was referring to - and found myself standing there alone.

Feeling slightly foolish, I replied, "Yes, ma'am, I all sure would."

She made an inscrutable face as if to decide if I was worth talking to, but then smiled and escorted me into the antique shop where I learned that she had been adopted at a very young age and when her adopting parents had passed away, she searched for her biological parents and found out at the age of 62 that she had a sister. A sister that subsequently went into the antique business with her - hence the "Sisters Antiques".

In a few short minutes we were chatting like we had known each other for years. She has a highly rated eBay store (here) that shows the kinds of items that she sells in addition to brand-new (non-antique) Worm Gruntin' Festival tee-shirts.

It was from her that I learned that the Annual Worm Gruntin' Festival in Sopchoppy, Florida is held in April every year and that this year's event was the 9th annual festival.

What is Worm Gruntin'? I thought you'd never ask...

a festival t-shirt graphic showing a wooden stake with a hand saw on it, with a man in a fishing boat in the distance
Worm grunting is a method of capturing worms in order to use them for bait or putting them in compost piles.

A wooden stake is driven firmly into the ground and vibrated by dragging a piece metal such as a handsaw or leaf spring from an old car across the top of it. These vibrations apparently mimic the sounds of underground predators, such as moles and scare the worms to the surface.

Some people choose to make a living out of worm grunting. Gary and Audrey Revell, who I think are featured in the video below, have used worm grunting as their sole source of family income for over 40 years.

Video

I was offered the chance to do some worm gruntin' in her side yard but I settled for making a new friend and getting a t-shirt. Sopchoppy Florida is a right friendly little town...

:)

17 comments:

AliceKay said...

I snickered at this post after you told me last night that I would never guess what you were blogging about today. You're right...I would have never guessed. LOL (love the t-shirt) You just never know what you might find out there while traveling. :)

Have a good day today. *hugs*

Martha said...

That's a new one on me! Maybe that can be my next career!

Deanna said...

Awesome! Sopchoppy - what a colorful name.

We watched the whole video. It was actually interesting. Who would have thought.

I had a very redneck cousin who decided to raise worms when he retired. I'm not too sure how that turned out for him... but I suspect not too well.

betty said...

loved that video! I learned lots about earthworms! all I could think about was that biology teachers need to get a hold of this to show in class prior to dissecting those poor little earthworms

very fascinating! what an adventure for you, Iggy. Makes you want to go back to the festival some year. I know I would enjoy it.

what a great way to make a living too! outside, being your own boss, etc.

I was amazed they counted all the worms too.

loved your entry today :)

betty

Melissa said...

WOW! Now that the kicker, what a way to start my coffee infused morning. Really worm gutting?! It should gross me out but truth be told I used to go fishing with my dad, so worms are no big deal.

It's just so funny. The world is full of funny things. Right?!

PictureGirl said...

I love going to unique places like 'Sopchoppy', how fun. Sounds like you had a good time too.

I watched the video and am going to forward it to my son. When he was about 13 he decided he was going to get rich raising and selling worms. I was cleaning in my attic last week and came across a box that had some of his info on raising and marketing earthworms! None of the info told him the 'real' way to do it.

I enjoyed this post and it gave me a chuckle. Thanks

Also, I want to thank you about the nice comment you left me on my blog.

yellowdoggranny said...

I think I see a made for tv movie in the works...i love this..

Anonymous said...

Wow that is really cool, I think I will try that sometime and see how many worms come up for me in my yard...Iggy I laughed my hiney off on the Yall story you are just too funny lol...hugs

Martha said...

I think I just might have to meander on up to Sopchoppy someday to see it for myself! Glad you made a new friend. I'll check out the ebay store :-)

Sherri Murphy said...

You do realize I'm a redneck girl, don'tcha'? I loved this! Have you ever been cow tippin'? (I don't condone it, I just know about it).

Karla said...

well ya'll guess I'll mosey on out in the yard and catch some night crawlers for fishin with! wait I live in Texas..red clay is hard stuff!

Matty said...

This is one benefit of blogging. You get to learn something new every day. I've never heard of this. Leave it to you to get the whole story. That's your trademark.

Grand Pooba said...

oh my god, people like that really exist? And worming whatever is a big hit? Do they have electricity there?

Rita said...

Fascinating! I loved that couple! They seem so dang happy, too. Again--something I had never heard of before. You are an amazing man with insatiable curiosity. I am always learning interesting things from you. Thanks so much for sharing, Mr. Intense. :):)

Anonymous said...

LOL! OK... Not a career path - or activity to occupy free time - that I would choose, but whatever makes people happy, I guess. ;)

LadyStyx said...

I read the entry title and thought you were gonna talk about a huge worm orgy or somethin....


.oO(Oh quit groanin...you knew SOMEONE'S mind had to be going there....)

CTG Ponies said...

Well that's certainly a unique festival. It almost sounds made up - Worm Gruntin' in Sopchoppy.