I have been away and off-line for 8 days. I hope you have enjoyed what I left for you to read while I was gone. I will be around to see what you have been up to of late as soon as I ...well... get my wits pulled back together.
I really can't say much about what I was working on (they had me sign a non-disclosure policy) but I was near Tallahassee, Florida and I did "sneak" away for some very interesting lunch breaks - breaks that included Manatees-spotting (18 of them!), Alligators, Turtles, Bald Eagles, White (yes, white) Squirrels, and even a rare Florida Black Bear.
It was a very eventful, but enjoyable week - but on my return home, the flight (Delta 1016) from Atlanta to Philadelphia had a wee bit of excitement - a little too much excitement for the passenger in seat 19B.
Taxiing out to the runway to take off, the right engine of the MD-88 airplane apparently started smoking and may have caught fire. The control tower saw the smoke and the fire trucks came roaring down the taxi-way. The first hint I had of any trouble was seeing a firetruck pass beneath the wing of the airplane and slam on its brakes.
The next thing that happened was someone shouted, "The plane is on fire - get out! now!" There was no smoke inside the plane. People looked around confused and a bit dazed. But the flight attendant hustled down the aisle and said, "Open the emergency doors now and get out!" I got up and jumped down the rear slide since the emergency exit over the wing was blocked by a couple very large passengers.
I am very glad they didn't need all these trucks. This picture taken from the grassy area between the taxiway and the runway.
This picture shows the engine that went up in smoke - taken from the bus. Notice the two emergency exit doors on the wing. My seat was on the other side of plane about a row or two in front of the forward emergency door over the wing.
We were all loaded onto a big bus and taken back to the terminal where mayhem ensued for about two hours - and then we boarded another airplane and flew on to Philadelphia.
I was to be home about 8:00 PM but it was just after 1:00 AM this Sunday morning that I staggered in the front door.
In the news - here and here.
Despite the news-spin - several people were indeed injured, I saw one man with a bloody face after he went down the slide with three of his very young children in his arms - no one apparently seriously though. I was mostly, "shaken, not stirred."

19 comments:
OMGoodness! Way too much excitement! What a blessing it happened before you were up in the air. Angels were looking out for everybody on that plane. Makes you grateful for everything in your life, doesn't it? I'm sure glad you are home safe and sound. Can hardly wait to see pictures from your trip. :):)
Definitely way too much excitement! Yikes! Glad you are back home safely and back to the blogs too. I've sure missed you too! *hugs*
You were definitely missed! That is way too much excitement and I am so glad the flight had not taken off before discovering the fire. I love flying but I'll have to admit that stories like this stay in the back of my mind. I'm so glad you are ok!!!!!
HUGE HUGS!
Glad you're back home and safe.
My oh my, I would have been freaking out.
Hugs!
goodness gracious Iggy thank God you were ok and everyone else, I would definitely be shaken, I don't know if I would have gotten on another plane (I have never been on one anyways and that is why lol) so glad you are ok Iggy..and on a lighter note I would love to see pics of those animals you said you saw especially the white squirrel..wow...HUGSSSSSSSSS
Wow! Thank goodness it went up in smoke before takeoff. Glad to hear you're okay. What a story!
Thank the Goddess your ok..I saw it on the news but had no idea it was carrying precious cargo...so glad your safe and sound..missed you.
My, oh, my.....what excitement. Sure glad you're home safe and sound after that kind of excitement going on. (things like this are what keep me from flying commercial airlines) Glad to hear you weren't injured. Glad to hear you're back home, too. I've missed you. *hugs*
oh yes, much Much MUCH too exciting and I wasnt even there! So glad you're home safe and sound now. We've really missed you. We saved you some diabetics approved cake and some sugar free icecream...they're in the freezer. Left you a baggie of party goodies over by the Spongebob pillow on the sofa....
I'm so glad you and everyone else are all well. I don't even want to think out loud about what would have happened if it was in the air.
oh my gosh! how scary!! the manatees sound like fun, the plane on fire does not! I'm not sure I would have been brave enough to get back on another plane to get back home (renting a car and spending 3 days in it would have been just fine)
glad you are safe and sound and arrived back home (late) but at least in one piece :)
betty
glad you are safe
Cripes........ I would not of been able to get back on an aeroplane and I would of insisted on walking home LOL
I would love to see them Mano thingies, Ive seen them on the telly and they are the strangest things ever....
you had better of taken loads of photos matie lol
Was you working on a top secret assignment :) are you the new James Bond?
x
Too much excitement!
I've been down and out for a week! Starting to feel a bit better. Taking forever. I have not been this sick for many years!
I'm glad you were okay, and that you took advantage of the PHOTO OP!!!!
Lucky you, I never get to travel for work.
Glad you made it home safe and sound. Although safety comes first, I would not have been very patient in that situation!
I agree... That was a bit too much excitement!
I'm glad nobody was seriously hurt.
Sheesh! I'm glad you're okay and no one was too seriously harmed. Here's to safer and better flights next time!
Aack! How scary! That very day I took off and landed in two sets of planes for my 5-day press trip. In the first plane, we took off from La Guardia airport and roughly took the same path that airplane this summer took- the one that ended up in the Hudson River. So, of course, I was just hoping no geese would make an appearance.
In the second plane, I sat right next to one of the engines and I just kept a lookout. You know, just in case...
Glad to hear it all ended well, though and that you had so much fun out there :)
Wow! That gave me cold chills. Thank God everyone is okay.
Post a Comment