Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Gone Fishing

On Saturday, I went to the western end of the Perkiomen trail and into Green Lane Park - As a young boy, my parents often took my brothers and I to this park to swim and then later to have a picnic diner.

Sometimes we would go to the Candlewick Restaurant (which burned down when I was in school and the grounds are now a housing development) and sometimes we went to the smorgasbord served at the Schwenksville firehouse (which now has a nice BBQ Chicken event but no smorgasbord dinners) instead of grilling burgers and hot dogs in the park. No matter where we ate, it was always tasted really good after hours of swimming in the lake.

I put the pictures I took on Saturday (here). I hope you will take a peek.

This park, the largest of the Montgomery County parks, consists of over 3400 acres and three beautiful lakes totaling 870 acres.

Just to illustrate - a typical block in Manhattan (New York City) is about 6.4 acres, meaning the lakes at Green Lane Park would cover about 135 city blocks!

It is miles from one end of the park to the other end and it is laced with walking (and horseback riding) trails. Unfortunately, you can no longer swim here so that is a now just a fond memory of the past.

a guy with his back to the camera sits beside a lake with an orange cone nearby
Could this be Cappy and I fishing in Deep Creek Lake?


The road from Green Lane goes to Red Hill and on to East Greenville. Colorful, huh?

I will be very busy over the next view days - so if I don't get the chance later - I want to wish you all, a very Happy (and safe) Thanksgiving holiday.

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol! Great picture!
You would love the park we hike at.

Lainie said...

Very nice and yes colorful names for that park. Love the blue skies...I think it would be pretty covered in snow too.
Have a very Happy Thanksgiving, Iggy. hugs

Matty said...

My first impression was that it was you seated at the lake in the picture. A nice view there.

Enjoy your holidays.

jewelrybyrebecca said...

Awe, what nice memories. *sniff*

I love the pictures of the old barns and the one of the lake with the pop of color from that lone red tree is great. They even have a yaya trail there, how cool.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!!

Celticspirit said...

There is something peaceful about visiting a lake, walking around it's shore and just enjoying the wildlife and nature. :)

Yankee Girl said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well! Enjoy!

Martha said...

The Candlewyck Inn was my ALL time favorite restaurant as a kid. I remember SOOO many Sunday meals there with my parents and my Nana Buehler. We would head there in Nana's Buick after church! It was my restaurant of choice for several birthday meals!!! I was recalling those memories when Tara and I were at Green Lane the other week!

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

CTG Ponies said...

Great pics! I love Green Lane Park and live very close to the mill in your first photo. My horses are about 2 miles up the road from the Inn. One of my favorite places to hike, ride and just hang out. Last year there was actually ice fishing on the lake. Looked like the frozen tundra.
http://ctgponies.blogspot.com/2009/01/ice-fisherman-deep-creek-lake.html

jmt said...

People who fish love to fish. They LOVE it. Why don't I see the joy in fishing? I think it's the smell, personally.

You spend so much time outdoors. It makes me want to get my boys out more. If only I had the energy.....

Dorkys Ramos said...

It's true! You're always out and about. Maybe someday I'll bother learning how to fish though that whole hooking those poor fish in bothers me, even if they're let go afterwards. You imagine the trauma they go through?!

Anywho, hope you have a lovely Thanksgiving as well!

Deanna said...

Cappy looks like he is afraid of getting too close to the water. That lake is very peaceful looking. I'd love to sit and fish or just sit and sit!

Love the pictures. Nice share.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Iggy. Huge hugs!

sugarlens said...

What nice memories you have of the park! I am impressed you are keeping up with flikr. I still have my account, but I stopped using it a while ago. Too. much. work.

Have a very lovely Thanksgiving!

AliceKay said...

I enjoyed looking at your pictures yesterday. This is a nice one.

Happy Thanksgiving, Iggy...to you and your family. *hugs*

yellowdoggranny said...

I loved the pictures..really is beautiful country...
nice to have such great memories...
babs and i are going to help deliver meals on wheels on thanksgiving and we'll eat at the senior center. im making 3 pecan pies and a chocolate one...wheee
have a wonderful filling thanksgiving.

AiringMyLaundry said...

What a nice area!

Happy Thanksgiving to you.

betty said...

I looked at the pictures, Iggy, that is a gorgeous site! I would love to spend time exploring it and I'm sure Koda would enjoy sniffing (please tell me dogs are allowed :)

what fond memories you must have of swimming in the lake and then dinner afterwards with parents; I think those types of activities stick so much with us as we grow older and remember "the good old days"

You have a very Happy Thanksgiving too!!

betty and Koda :)

Anonymous said...

I loved the pictures and what wonderful memories to have about when you were young. Happy Thanksgiving to you also Iggy HUGS

LadyStyx said...

And it looks like plenty of room for your blogger friends to join you while sitting in that tranquil location...

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

Melissa said...

I've always found fishing to be so relaxing. Ever heard of the Bass Pro Shop, my dad lives there.

=)

Have a Lovely Day, IGGY!

junyah said...

you are a great writer and take the bestest pictures IGgY'S but im getting a little worried about them cones your hanging around with latey...ive called them names before but.....anyway havea great Thanksgiving , T/C.. JR

Heidi said...

Isn't that the truth....that whatever you eat after swimming for hours in the lake tastes good. I have fond, fond memories of days at the lake with family.

Happy Thanksgiving to you.

Martha said...

Happy Thanksgiving Iggy! *Hugs*

Pop and Ice said...

So, so blue is that lake. So beautiful. I hope you have a wonderful holiday as well.

Rita said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

I haven't seen enough pictures of you to know, but that doesn't look like Cappy--unless you added the white tape for his trip outside? :)

Loved the pictures you took--great old buildings and loved the lone flaming tree. Great park!

Have a great time over the holidays!! :):)

Pamela said...

too many comments to read them all and see if anyone asked why you can't swim there anymore.

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a happy Thanksgiving! :)

JennyMac said...

Such a great photo! And have a fantastic holiday Iggy. Sending my best to you and your family.

Karla said...

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family and friends *hugsssss*