Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Florida Snaps

While I was in Florida I got to take some extended lunch time breaks - so I took advantage of them!

A Sandpiper bird walks the foamy beach
A Sandpiper walks the foamy beach at Bald Point State Park.

Monarch Butterflies in a bush
The Monarch Butterflies were migrating to Mexico. I saw thousands upon thousands of them.

A colorful metal Rooster
A metal Rooster crows at the Apalachicola Sponge Company. I wanted to get it for Marmite Toasty!

Before the development of railways in the Gulf states, Apalachicola was the third busiest port in the Gulf of Mexico (behind New Orleans and Mobile). In the late 1800s and early 1900s, the sponge trade, led by Greek immigrants, was a major industry in the town. Apalachicola is still the home port for a variety of seafood workers, including oyster harvesters and shrimpers. More than 90% of Florida's oyster production is harvested from Apalachicola Bay.

St. Marks Light house - an all white brick tower
The St. Marks Light is the second-oldest light station in Florida. It is located on the east side of the mouth of the St. Marks River, on Apalachee Bay.

In the 1820s, the town of St. Marks, Florida was considered an important seaport. The town served as a port for the planting region of Middle Florida and some counties of South Georgia. Growers hauled their products down to the port town in wagons by way of an early road via Tallahassee and on to the town of St. Marks. Later, this road would be widened and improved upon by the Tallahassee Railroad Company and would become the state's first railroad. The railroad is a now a very pleasant rail-trail and I walked on about 6 miles (of 20) of it.

an alligator creeps up on a picnic table
I stopped for lunch and while I was eating, some of the birds in the trees above me started making a huge racket. I looked around to see why, and lo and behold, someone was interested in joining me for lunch. I then moved to a table much further away, I'm antisocial like that.

turtles and a surprise on a branch in the water
I love turtles. When I saw this low-lying branch in the Wakulla Springs I happily started counting turtles and then went "Whoa! That last one isn't a turtle!" While I watched, the little alligator licked the last turtle's foot and that caused him to push and shove really hard on the backed up line!

I saw the Manatees at Wakulla Springs too. Hopefully I'll feel up to putting together a post on them soon -or- you can check them out in the Flickr photostream if you wish.

:)

24 comments:

Matty said...

Nice history to go with the photos. I like your choice of words for the gator joining you "for lunch".

Melissa said...

Your pictures are so lovely. Whenever my aunt shows me pictures never do they come with a story...it's just 'That's the view from my place' and 'Isn't the beach just beautiful.'

=)

Kelly said...

I love the turtle pic!

Martha said...

Awesome pics. I was never to the Wakulla Springs, but Tara was on an overnight field trip to Tallahassee.. the girl saw more of FL than I did!

Karla said...

The sites the sounds the lighthouse the history You are IT my friend! (yeah I could hear the ocean :-))

Sherri Murphy said...

Awesome photos and history lesson! You get to have too much fun!

AliceKay said...

I checked out your photos in Flickr when you put up the first bunch, and I noticed the rest of them in there a couple of hours ago and commented a little more. You have some really great shots there. Love the lighthouses.

PictureGirl said...

Wonderful pictures! I especially love the turtles. It looks so sunny and warm there. We have had several days of rain and dreariness, so your pictures are a great pick-me-up. Thanks

betty said...

oh my gosh! what a beautiful area you were in! loved the comment with the alligator and lunch; thankfully the birds were alerting you of the "dangers" that "lurked" ahead of you! I would love to see the manatee pictures! they are sort of graceful in their bigness

makes you want to go to Florida again just to have those extended lunch hours :)

imagine what you might see on your next trip

betty

Anonymous said...

Those pics are too funny Iggy, I loved the one with the turtles and the alligator, and your so luckyyyyy I would love to see that many butterflies at one time, thanks for sharing!!

Deanna said...

lol at "you're antisocial like that"

That aligator is confused. And how do you talk those turtles into lining up for a photo opportunity like that? That is the second time you've gotten that kind of picture.

Oh, and I don't see any Charlie pictures. But those butterflies are mahvelous! Actually all of the pictures are.

Huge hugs!

Yankee Girl said...

I love gators!! But if I ever got too close, I might try to channel my inner Stever Irwin, and we both know that would end very, very badly. Even though I would just want to snuggle, the gator would probably try to take advantage of me!

As always, great pics. Now if only I knew how to used Flickr....

Rita said...

We used to go to Florida on vacation regularly when I was a kid and one of my favorite things was watching the little sandpipers doing their dance (walk-run-poke) along the beach. Big gators are scary from close range like that. I wouldn't have wanted to share (or be) lunch, either--hehe! And that little gator was probably very scary to that turtle when he realized who was sample-tasting his little leg!! You always have the best pictures and information from your trips and walks. Whenever I leave the apartment I forget I have the camera with me! Cripe! I forget most of the time when I have company, too--hehe! :):) Thanks for bringing us along.

yellowdoggranny said...

oh that is so beautiful...and i'm crazy about the turtles about to get 'et by the crock..

sugarlens said...

I love extended lunch breaks. I use them for my daily walks, but unfortunately, I don't see nearly as many neat animals as you. I mostly see dead birds, various insects, etc.

Great pictures, looks like you enjoyed Florida!

Anonymous said...

We have a pet turtle!

Love the orange butterflies.

Anonymous said...

Didn't fancy having company for lunch, eh? ;)


Great post! Sounds like your lunch breaks were very interesting and eventful.

Queenie Jeannie said...

LOL! That looks like a gator buffet!

Martha said...

Wow, even more great shots! You really got to see a lot on your visit! :-)

MarmiteToasty said...

Jebus mary other of whomever, bloody crocs joining you for lunch, your country has so many dangerous animals, we have non LOL

A friend told me once that in florida the mossies are the size of humming birds and for 2 years I believed them, they also said that alligators came out at night and walked the roads and sneaked into peoples gardens and ate their poodle dogs, again I believed them LMFAO

x

Lainie said...

Very cool! Loved the aligator vs. turtles. I bet that turtle never walked so fast. LOL

CTG Ponies said...

Great pics! The last one is really good - I did a double take.

LadyStyx said...

the turtles need to take up eating Taco Bell....the extra aroma will be enough to keep the gators away....

LadyStyx said...

the turtles need to take up eating Taco Bell....the extra aroma will be enough to keep the gators away....