Friday, May 1, 2009

Oddly Thought Provoking

I saw this scene while walking around the neighborhood a couple days ago.

lawn ornament sized statues of Joseph and Mary kneeling on a driveway before a power lawnmower or edger

I'm not exactly sure what the power lawn maintenance machine is, I think its a sidewalk edger but am not sure, it might be a cement saw. In any event, this homeowner pulled his Christmas ornaments in from the lawn, but obvious got tired from this unplanned strenuous exercise, and has not put them away yet, on this first day of May.

In some odd way though, the placement is fitting - it reflects on the American Way and its obsession with gas-powered labor saving devices of every possible conceivable use. Part of the reason our economy is the way it is today is due to the fact so many Americans wouldn't dream of picking up a shovel or pushing a reel mower.

I'm questioning why we "need" to have gas-powered lawn mowers, trimmers, leaf blowers, mulchers, shredders, snow blowers, and rototillers for properties barely big enough to store them all on. The annual mindless Spring search for the "perfect" lawn is officially underway when the Saturday morning stillness is shattered by the racket of a labor-saving device.

Its hard to imagine the days past in this country when thousands of miles of highways and mile after mile of railroad tracks were graded and laid with nothing more than thousands of laborers with a shovel, a pick axe, a wheelbarrow, and perhaps a mule and wagon. Throw in the uncounted buildings and bridges built before the mid-1800's that stand today - proud and tall - and showing little evidence of disrepair and perhaps you too find it amazing how our "ancestors" did it by "hand".

They sure don't build things like they used to - I don't even think we could anymore. If it doesn't unlock and start with a keyless remote - it must be broken.

14 comments:

Yankee Girl said...

Wow! At first I laughed and then I was amazed at how much you thought about it and how you make perfect sense.

I'm in the market for one of those old push mowers that don't have engines. I'm having trouble finding one. Are they made anymore?

Jess said...

It wouldn't be the first time I've wondered, what would we do if it all just vanished/ How would we survive? Maybe that's why I love camping so much. We should learn to sleep rough, find food and more.

Wonderful picture shooting! I really like those original surprising shots of yours! Do you remember that buried computer post you did?

Karla said...

Amen to that! My dad used a push mower until I was in my "tweenies" He plowed with a "walking tractor" but when it came to weeding, it was hoe and shovel. We hand picked our garden (20 acres) and shelled, shucked, and put up our own food.

I agree with everything you said!

LadyStyx said...

They're listed on the sites for Home Depot, Lowes and WalMart. Not sure if WMT has them in store but if you order online and have it delivered to your local store for pick up, you avoid shipping charges.


We used to have 3-4 of those at the private school I worked at in Louisiana. They were used for the worst offenders during detention hours. Hot tiring work, but guaranteed to make sure they didnt misbehave again. In fact, the ONLY section of the grounds that saw a riding mower (or any kind of power mower for that matter) was the football field.

AliceKay said...

When I was a kid, I mowed my grandparents' lawn with one of those kinds of mowers...and I thought it was fun. too. (imagine that) Just don't let the grass grow too tall or too thick before you go out to mow it.

Great post, Iggy.

Anonymous said...

I was discussing something like this with my parents yesterday.

Mam and I were re planting my Sunflowers, and Dad said about something I should get that would make the holes quicker for me. And I asked him what the point of that was. He said it would save me getting my hands so dirty, and make the job slightly quicker. So I told him that the whole point of using dirt is to get dirty. And that I'm not buying something I don't need just to save a few seconds. Especially when I prefer the idea of doing things by hand.

I almost added that I'm trying to de clutter, not clear space for more useless junk that will be used once then not touched again. But Mam shushed me before I got the statement out (Dad's a big pack rat. He doesn't believe in throwing things away, and is first in line for time and energy saving devices... Even if he might not use them at all).

MarmiteToasty said...

I laffed at that photo.... maybe they placed those figures there cos the machine was broken and they wanted some extra prayers to fix it LOL

I had to buy a new lawnmower yesterday for my little lawn, me other one shot me against the fence when it almost electricuted me 3 weeks ago, and as no goat has turned up to cut me grass I had no choice but to cough up for a new lawnmover..... electric of course and a hover (flymo).... was hoping to test it out today but it looks like its gonna be raining....

(((Iggy))) have the most luverly of Saturdays when you get here....

x

BITTER OLD BITCH said...

Our father, who art in gardening, hallowed be thy name.

Thy mowing done, no weeds to come, on earth as it is in heaven.

Give us this day, our daily hedge and forgive us our uncut grasses.
As we forgive those whose dogs poop against us, lead us not to over-fertilization and deliver us from evil.

AMEN.

The Wife O Riley said...

Let us pray.

Dear Lord,

Please help us keep our blades sharp, our gas plentiful and our weeds at a minimum.

Also, Lord, please help the neighbor boy find it in his heart to come over and mow our lawn twice a week. We pay over the going rate.

Amen.

Queenie Jeannie said...

I agree.

Well.......I make my cards by hand. I guess that's a start???

jewelzmomof4 said...

I agree but at the same time there is no way i could do all the yard work without all the cool devices we have. LOL I can't even imaging doing it all by hand. Hats off to all of our ancestors.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if it was supposed to...but that pic made me laugh.

yellowdoggranny said...

maybe they called the local hispanic lawn guy and wanted 'heysus'...and this is who they got.?

ChicagoLady said...

I think they were praying that it would break down, and never start again, to teach the human a lesson about our consumption of oil, gas, and electricity.