Friday, June 21, 2019
Slowly Improving
I've been away so long it took me a while to re-figure out how this blogging thing works.
I am slowly improving. I am working on sitting up for an hour or two at a time and walking a little further each day. Physical therapy has been slow - but each time I reach a goal, walking to the nearest stop sign, walking to the next stop sign, walking around the block, I feel more optimistic and less discouraged.
I occasionally think how others have it worse then I do, and use their courage as encouragement. I've many friends that have stuck with me too. For them, I am most grateful, and the words "thank you" seem too woefully inadequite.
My mom was upset when the U.S. Government refused to give her a ceremonial flag for my dad, who served for 12 years in the Army.
I wrote the local VFW group and they sent me a flag. I purchased a case off Amazon and my younger brother read up on how to fold the flag to fit the case - it took us 5 tries. Each fold, there are 13 of them, has a meaning and we read up on those too. I like how the one star over the three stars as it came out. My dad over me and my two brothers...
I gave it to my mom and we hung it up in her dining room - which she uses as an office most days. We remembered OUR Veteran.
Some days I am stuck in bed, either the bad back is royally complaining or my feet are too painful to stand on. Those long days are sometimes rewarded with some interesting sights out the bedroom window.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




10 comments:
I'm glad you're improving. As I've told you recently, every step forward is a step in the right direction. :-)
That was a great thing that you did for your mom, and dad, in getting that flag and special display box. I'm sure he would approve. It looks very nice, and what you said about the stars' alignment is spot on.
Foxes are killing chickens around here. My nephew's family only has 2 hens and 1 rooster left. I still cuss at them every time they've been under my back deck making a mess around the cat food dishes, but I don't want them to be supper for a fox family. "Your" fox looks nice and tame. *winks*
Thanks for the heads up. *hugs*
How could the government not give your mom a flag? Tacky on their part I do believe. Glad you remedied it and got her a flag and learned how to display it properly. I didn't realize there was so much involved with the folding of it! What a great visitor you had visiting; glad you got to see him ?her when you were bed bound. I think God has a way of giving us gifts like that when we need them. I'm glad to hear you are making slow but hopefully steady progress. Way too long to be feeling the way you have been feeling. Please blog more regularly if you can. Always a joy, no matter what it is, to hear from you in this format.
betty
Iggy, I am so sorry you are having to deal with this. Keep taking those baby steps in the right direction. I pray for continued improvement to your health and your ability to get back on your feet (literally!). Chronic pain is so very difficult to deal with. Huge hugs to you. I am ashamed of our government for not providing your mom with a flag honoring your dad’s service. Our local VFW works with the area mortuary’s so they know when a Veteran passes away. They provide a 3 gun salute at each funeral, have 2 cadets fold the flag in front of the family, and present it to the spouse, oldest child, or whoever is appropriate. Even if I have made it through the funeral without shedding a tear, at this point there is hardly a dry eye at the gravesite. Maybe your VFW would consider doing this for our Veterans? Kudos to you and your brother for doing the right thing for your mom. I can only imagine how much it meant to her! I am looking forward to more posts from you, telling us how you improved and that you made it to the mailbox two days in a row. And if that is not the case, then a short post letting us know you are not doing so well, but doing your best.
It's wonderful to see you doing well enough to do a post. Hope you continue to improve. Or at least have more good days than bad. *hugs*
That is just wonderful that you got your mom a flag!! Glad you are slowly doing better. Was delighted to see a post by you!! I may have to take a break blogging for a while, myself.
The fox is beautiful. *hugs*
I am so sorry you have been struggling so. I feel badly that I have no communicated with you more often. I was delighted to see a blog post from you! I cannot believe that your Dad did not get a flag...glad you took care of it. Yes those thirteen folds are ever so important! Sending you a gentle hug today and all days:)
Oh My Goodness, so good to see you here! You keep that attitude and get better each day.I love the story behind the flag. When my brother-in-law passed away, he had spent 27 years in the army and returned as a staff sergeant. His sisters insisted on burying him in Michigan. My five nephews should have fought them. But allowed it. Later my nephew ed, who is very much our genetic child in our phamily, had a friend who helped his dad get a proper military burial in the cemetery in Kentucky. Although deserving he and my big sister should really have been laid to rest together. My paternal grandmothers younger sister is buried here at Fort Logan National Cemetery with her husband, also a veteran.
I hope you keep blogging.
I love how you and your brother received the VFW flag. It was quite a thing to do for your mom. What blessings you both are.
Be encouraged each day, I often feel like someone else is way worse off than me so I try to be brave and courageous.
Having such an incredible blogging friend in you has made me a better person. You have always been so kind and thoughtful and the hubby and I pray for you always.
I am catching up with you reading newer post to older ones. Take care my friend and get better each day.
HUgs and Prayers for you and yours.
Sorry about my lengthy comments. If you are up to reading my friend Myra has an interesting blog . I think you might enjoy it. SHe is mevely317.blogspot.com. Take care :-)
So sorry to hear you are still suffering. Pain is one of those things that's impossible for people to understand unless they've experienced it. Outwardly it doesn't show.
We used to have to do the flag folding when I was in the Brownies because we were an all military family group. My dad was a stickler for how the flag was to be treated. He was very upset in the 70s when I bought a t-shirt that had blue with stars on the top and red and white stripes going vertical. I said, "Dad, it's not even the flag. Get over it."
Getting the government to do things is a chore. I've been battling with them since my dad's death last year. Another call to the DOD this week. Each week I'm told to call back next week. The VA on the other hand was a breeze, but the DOD. Oh my. I'm glad you were finally able to get a flag for your mom. If you'd had a military service I believe they would have automatically given you one. That's how it's been with my friends whose father's had military funerals.
Foxy you! All I get is two turkeys with 10 babies today flaked out on my lawn in the shade. Of course I do put out a big container of water for them so it shouldn't be a surprise they show up.
Take care of yourself.
I know you have been dealing with awful health issues. But even if it gives you a moment of temporary relief try these prodocts if you can or have not already. DoTerra Deep Blue rub. If it is psychology for me, I know it helps me feel better when my low back is aching and my hip is crying in pain. I recently started to see an acupuncturist as well. quite some time ago, I was in the grocery store and my feet would not move. I was clinging to that shopping cart for dear life! I Heard people tell me I need surgery for planter fasciitis etc.. Tired of doctor bills and no relief I purchased this: Outback Pain relief. It is a roll on and I roll it over my feet every single night before bedtime. I have not had any more issues. I know it is often easier said than done but I wanted to share. Any relief for me is a plus! Take care of you. HUGS from Colorado and all of us here
Post a Comment