Tuesday, August 23, 2016
Saying Goodbye to Dad
On August 9th, around 2:30 AM, my father passed away in his sleep, comfortably and peacefully. The link is to my Dad's Obituary. I still find it very difficult to write or talk about this. I have so many memories of him that they swirl around in my head like a kaleidoscope. Everything I have, I owe to my father.
Here he is in Florida, holding up a nice size Snook. It took us a dozen fishing trips to catch one of these elusive fish. His smile says it all.
I've have been overwhelmed by the caring support of my friends and neighbors. I cannot begin to say how much I appreciate all of you. I received beautiful cards from Chicago Lady, my older brother's in-laws, my mom's niece that lives in Maine, Far Side, Soul Comfort, my dad's first cousin's wife, A Bench With a View, Alice Kay, and Lady Styx and her husband. So many texts and emails I can only hope to answer them all eventually; visits from neighbors, some bearing plates with food, and some marvelous flowers - including one from a client that sits on my office desk beside my keyboard.
On his last day with us, I wheeled my dad out to the porch where we watched the birds at the feeders. We had dozens of visits from Hummingbirds. At the other feeder were Cardinals, Woodpeckers, Goldfinches, Purple Finches, Tuffed Titmouse's, Sparrows, Blue Jays, Catbirds, Mockingbirds, Orioles, and even a Squirrel that the feeder spun off to the ground three times before he or she gave up. It was a calming time for both of us.
I still can't believe he is gone.
Labels:
Appreciation,
Difficult Words,
Family,
Family History,
Memory,
Real World,
Squirrels,
Thank You
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




23 comments:
My heart goes out to you and your family. Sending you a huge hug and warm thoughts. Thank you for sharing bits of your dad with us over the years. So sweet of you to help him experience nature in those last days as I'm sure it helped soothe his heart and yours.
I truly believe each bird was lovingly sent to you and your dad that morning from God, giving you that sense of peace for a moment, a time for you two to be together enjoying that time and the love you have for each other. It was always neat to read of your and your dad's adventures. So many memories to comfort you in the days ahead. Praying for you and your family. Again, so sorry for you and your family's loss.
Betty
That memory of relaxing wth your dad watching the squirrel fly off the feeder will be with you forever as one of the last sweet times you had with your dad. And you have so many wonderful memories! He will be greatly missed. Hugs from me and Miss Karma. Give your mom a hug from us, too.
Hugs, hugs, and more hugs! Give your Mom a hug from me too, and pet Zoey for me.
oh my sweet friend..I'm so deeply sorry for the loss of your beloved father and friend..sending you big ole Texas hugs and all my love..please send me your address I know I lost it..
I am so sorry for the loss of your dad. I know how much he meant to you, and I know the days ahead will be difficult. But you have so many wonderful memories to keep with you of your time spent with your dad. You shared them with us and you showed us what true love is. Your dad knew you were there for him, and that in itself is a blessing. You and your family are always in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs to you and to your mom.
Big Hugs to you.
I'm so very sorry. I still haven't gotten over my mom's passing from 1999. And each day I watch my dad become more frail. So I understand completely. Each of us deals with it differently. We have to each find the path that gets us through it. My cousins lost both their father and mother within 6 weeks of each other and all I could tell them was the pain never goes away, but it does get easier to live with. Take time to heal and know we're all thinking of you.
So sorry. It takes a lot of time to adjust. Both of my parents are gone and while things never are quite the same, you learn how to cope.
www.valeroni.com
My best to you and your family. I hope you feel the love that surrounds you during this most difficult time. No words will magically make you feel better, if it were so I would say them. Sending you a hug:)
*HUGZ*
I have been out of touch and I am deeply saddened at the loss of your dad. I know how close you were. You are all in our prayers. I know this is very difficult for your mom too. I was thinking about your phamily yesterday. Could not sleep well, achy back, and started listing my folks and their siblings and the illnesses etc they suffered. Both of my folks passed away peacefully too. I am ever so grateful to God for that. Always remember you are well loved and cared for, so many over here care deeply about you and will always lend an ear for you to talk to us. You have had a wonderful life because of wonderful parents. You will have all those beautiful memories to hang on to forever. Again I am so sorry for this loss. Hugs and Blessings, Anne
Don't forget to e mail 53strait@gmail.com.
The photo of your dad is sweet. Such a delight to be able to have had those times with him.
Keep in touch when you can. Blessings, Anne
Although your dad is no longer with you, remember all the fun times you had, your adventures in FL and on the boat. Those will stay with you forever. Hugs!
I am so sorry for your loss. Hugs to you.
It's been so long since I had seen any post on your blog, and of course I hadn't expected to see anything in August, given the situation...but couldn't help myself, had to come by for a visit today...and was surprised to see your sweet post in honor of your dad from the 23rd.
You couldn't have said more than what you did: "Everything I have, I owe to my father." He meant so much to you, and that is a living tribute that can't be matched. Thank you for sharing those photographs and memories with us.
So very sorry Intense!! What a beautiful post about your dad. You made his life here a happy one and it sounds like the birds even came to visit him to say they would miss him. Prayers to you and your family.
i am sorry for your loss but still i feel nice when think that he left so peaceful with no harm .surely he was a good guy who said easily goodbye to this world .
thank for sharing his precious memories and photo .
may he rest in peace of heaven
I'm so sorry for your loss.
Iggy,
I was just reading through doing a little catch up. I'm so sorry to hear that your dad passed last year, I know how close you were. Deepest sympathy to you my long time friend.
I am so sorry for you. I lost my dad over 10 years ago and I still miss him greatly. Good memories help ease the pain, but you never forget them.
Give Zoey an extra hug from me. We have German Shepherds as well. When one of ours has died in the pack, we make sure the others get to smell of them. I think it helps them understand what has happened. I have seen one of ours lower their head and back away as if in respect. It was her mother dog that had died.
Dear Iggy, I'm very sorry for the loss of your Dad. Great big hugs to you. I have not been on blogger since my mother died in the Spring of 2016, until this past week or I would have known sooner to express my condolences. From my own experience with grief, I know that no matter how much time goes by, we never stop missing those we love. I wish the best for you in your continued journey.
💔
Post a Comment