Thursday, July 21, 2016

Where's My Human?

My father went back in the hospital a week or so ago, he kept falling down and hitting his head - he was mildly concussed and very confused - and in that state, messed up his medications - mistaking Percocet for high blood pressure medication (for starters). It was a very crazy week.

He is now in a Rehab Center - the staff are making sure he exercises, takes the right medications at the right time, and eats properly. He looked pretty good yesterday (I mentioned to my mom he looked a half dozen years younger). So we are encouraged as of now.
His dog, Zoey has been really lonesome. She misses every member of "her pack" when we aren't around. I qualify as a pack member!

I took my dad's dog over to the rehab center because he wanted to see her. Just outside the center's dining room is a small gazebo and it was nice and shaded.

While we were waiting for my dad to come out two old ladies stopped by in wheelchairs wanting to see the dog. So Zoey was happy enough to say hello and lick their hands softly. You should have seen their smiles.

My dad then came out in a wheelchair and we had a big reunion! My dad was very happy to see Zoey. It has been about two weeks. You should have seen the tail wagging and heard the gleeful wuff-wuffs! After my dad returned to his room two more patients came out in their wheelchairs just say hello and to pat her head. They were absolutely thrilled to see her.
Zoey waits for human to come home - he should be there tomorrow (Friday) noon Zoe!

17 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

SOO sorry to hear about your dad, but glad he is on the road to recovery..should let the doggie go up there every day for the other residents..

Victoria Zigler said...

Poor Zoey! I'm glad she got to see her human. I'm also glad your Dad is doing better, and should be coming home soon (though perhaps not quite as glad as Zoey will be when she realizes he's coming home).

I'm sure it brightened everyone's day to have Zoey visit.

Rita said...

I'm so glad they let you take Zoey to see your dad!! And the other residents, too. Good for everyone involved. Glad to hear your dad is coming home tomorrow, too. :)

Annesphamily said...

Hi there! Glad your dad was taken care of and will soon be home. Zoey sounds like she could be a great help at the rehab center. We had a neighbor years ago who took their little Westy to the Children's Hospital. She was a great comfort to so many children. When Trixie got older they got a new puppy Pixie thinking she would pick up where Trixie left off! Not so! That Pixie was a runner and she ran away as often as she could! Very happy that your dad will come home. I bet the whole phamily is happy! Have a good day!

Henny Penny said...

Hope your Dad will be well and home soon. Zoey does look lonely. I love how she is curled up in her chair. She is a beautiful dog.

betty said...

Zoey is so cute and I'm thinking queen of her roost! So neat to hear that your dad is coming home from rehab tomorrow! I know its been a long stretch for you/your family and to see the end in sight everyone being united together (Zoey will be ectastic) is certainly a relief! Glad Zoey could be of "service" too to other patients at the rehab facility and bring a little joy to their days!

betty

Tattered and Lost said...

Sorry to hear all of you are going through this. It is all too familiar. Years ago when my dad had a heart attack and didn't come home for close to a week the dog sat at the front door all night waiting for him. He would not come to his bed. I finally just left lights on for him. For several nights he howled for hours. It was the first time he'd been separated from my dad. Animals get as tied to their humans as humans do to their animals. I remember a cat that belonged to a landlady of mine lying in a field for days staring down the driveway waiting for her to come home. She'd been taken to a residential home and never returned. I adopted the kitty and eventually he put up a good front and tried to pretend to forget her.

ChicagoLady said...

I'm glad your dad is doing better and will be going home. Do you know why he kept falling down?

As you well know, our pets are our family. We miss them when they're gone, and they miss us just the same. It's an amazing bond.

AliceKay said...

I'm glad to hear your dad is improving. Zoey looks like a very friendly dog. I can almost see the smiles on the residents' faces when they petted her. :) I hope your dad feels better once he's home. Keeping him in my thoughts and prayers.

Hope you're hanging in there. *hugs*

sugarlens said...

The bond between a dog and his human is indeed very very special. I hope your dad gets to go home today!

Dorkys Ramos said...

Aww she seems so sweet and fluffy! I bet she's just overflowing with love and licks. Hope your pops heals up quickly!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Poor Zoey, I hope your Dad got out and is settling in again at home. Zoey is good therapy...now if she could just hand out pills! Your Dad needs one of those Pill reminder things:)

Jacqi Stevens said...

Glad to hear your dad is doing better and is (hopefully) home by now!

I'm not surprised to learn that Zoey was the star feature for that afternoon visit. People in convalescent settings--especially if it is one of those really sterile places--perk up a lot when they get the chance to interact with a pet, even if it is not their own pet. There are even "therapy dogs" trained to behave appropriately in hospital type settings because of the therapeutic benefit of interaction between humans and pets. Zoey sounds like the perfect visitor!

Martha said...

Sorry to hear of your Dad's troubles. Aren't dogs amazing? So nice that Zoey could bring some smiles to the other patients. I think it makes the dogs really when they make us humans happy! My sister's little dog Zeus can be wild and crazy, but when Mom is around he is calmer and licks her hands and curls up in her lap.

It is hard as our parents age. I am fortunate that Mom has not had any additinal falls since her last one almost 2 years ago now, but she is becoming much more forgetful. I find that our roles are reversing, and it is very very hard!

Hugs!

My Tata's Cottage said...

Now I know why I love snail mail! AOL/AIM locked me out of my account and will not allow me back in. Now they have locked me out of my blog and I can only view it like you do! The AOL Tech Dept. and CS STINKS! They tried to get me to buy their product which is helpful when you do not have a blog. I am not sure I will have this much longer but the only e mail I have it here: 53strait@gmail.com This all started when my son updated my laptop. Now I can not get anywhere. Plus there are so man emails I wanted to save at my phamilybusiness1 e mail address. Technology STINKS! I will write letters. On a positive note, I hope your dad is doing better and you are too. Take care.

baili said...

You are very good sun who loves and lookagter his dad and take care of his dad'dog your Dad must be happy about all you do for him
Stay calm n focused
Best wishes from Asia

AliceKay said...

Sending big hugs to you, my friend.