Monday, March 16, 2015

The Office Move Is Over



The old office a couple days before settlement was nearly empty. The day before settlement, we got 10 inches of snow. Fortunately, I had spent the weekend prior to that moving the remaining "big and heavy" items! I was and am also tremendously grateful for the kindness of the one of the old office neighbors that helped clear the snow from the parking lot and walkways on the day of settlement - making the "walk through" go very smoothly. He is a gem and a real gentleman.


The books all moved, weeded out, sorted and arranged on shelves.


The provisioning of the phones and Internet services went smoothly even though there was 5 inches of muddy slushy snow on the ground. Verizon gets an A+ for this.


The servers were in a rack but the rack was too tall to fit on in this room (being 8 feet 4 inches tall. So I placed the servers on a mobile cart. I think this arrangement actually works better since I can push the cart away from the wall to get at the wiring behind the servers.


The new phone lines (voice and fax) went in seamlessly, and the new Internet connection was quickly "configured" for the new IP addresses.


One of the moving days was hampered by a 1/4 inch glaze of "black ice". Oh joy! No injuries to man or cargo occurred though.


After the "sorting through" all the all stuff, I actually ended up with a bunch of empty shelves. No fear, we will fill them soon! I raised the painting about 8 inches - and hung a lot of the other "artwork" so the new office seems more comfortable. The blue lighted gizmos on top are routers and computer backup devices.


UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supplies) getting tested - the last time I tested some of them was 2007. 4 of the 5 still work properly. These things have lead batteries in them and weight 20-30 pounds each and are a pain to move!

There are still some odds and ends to "find a home" for and some sorting, sifting and (hopefully throwing away) to do - mostly my unorganized brother's "stuff."

11 comments:

Rita said...

Hurray! Moving in the winter is always a pain. Looks like it is getting all settled in and organized well. Having those contraptions on rollers seems like a great idea, actually. I am so glad it is all done and no one or nothing ended up broken on the black ice. Hurray! Hurray!

Parsley said...

So much work but things are looking great! I'm really excited for you!

betty said...

This is a move that you will not forget especially dealing with all those weather conditions! Glad no one got hurt with the black ice! Everything is looking good and I give most internet technicians an A+ with the service they provide!!!

Hoping you like your "new digs".

betty

Victoria Zigler said...

Glad it's all over, and that nobody and nothing got hurt/broken during the move!

Far Side of Fifty said...

So glad it is over and done with! Your brother should get organized!! So now you don't have to drive to work ! :)

Primitive Stars said...

Happy Day it's over, take care,Francine.

ChicagoLady said...

Glad you got the move all finished and everything set up. I like the rolling cart, to get behind the servers. Ingenious!

Make sure you start taking the long way to work to keep up with your walking, lol.

Annesphamily said...

Lots of hard work, but it sure pays off! It is looking really good and glad you had help from a gentleman neighbor. People like that are rare finds in today's world but so grateful to know them. Your unorganized brother- LOL that would be me. No matter how hard I try paperwork overtakes my life! Aack! I think all in all this move will be good for you and everything will fall into place. You are quite organized! Have a blessed weekend too.

AliceKay said...

Everything looks great. I'm glad the move went well and things are up and running. And for sure...take the long way to work. ;)

Annesphamily said...

Had to leave another comment. My friend in MA. was saying she shopped at a market that had the friendliest employees and shoppers too! LOL! I love good CS and it is a rarity today. I was looking for a new coffeemaker. I refuse to pay hundreds of dollars for such silliness. I was frustrated and came home! Argh.....I hate having to go to Walmart but...last time I was there I had to exchange words with a mean ole cashier at the self serve. SHe said I should call their corporate office! I said I would! HeeHee! Those self serve stations are ridiculous. SHe came over and was touching all my items as if I was too dumb to do it myself! Argh.....I am a nice person but when people are mean and the traffic stinks and the weather is miserably hot already, I just want to go home! I tell you this because you were so blessed with that other employee from your previous building. not everyone is kind hearted. Such a true gentleman. Have a great weekend.

Jacqi Stevens said...

What a relief to have all that behind you now--well, except perhaps for more snow :D

I had been wondering how the move went. So much work with all the heavy equipment--and books! Hope this new place is a keeper!