Tuesday, November 4, 2014

The Irish Photos

The photos were taken a few years ago on film - so the colors are a little off - but I've tried to clean them up a bit.


I didn't expect to see as many horses, ponies, and donkeys that I did, but they were everywhere there were animals. Cows and sheep far out number even people in Ireland I think.

The license plate says Michigan. Having the dog sit in your lap or on the donkey during the ride was an "extra charge." Someone paid it. :)

This is a convent - Kylemore Abbey & Victorian Walled Garden. The weather with the looming fog made it gleam.

Another shot of the abbey.

This was a "Gentlemen's Horse Farm, Carrigglas Manor. I remember having lunch there but not much more. I understand it is now a ruin.

This was spotted in Carrigglas Manor. My Grandfather made thousands of these - I don't know if this one was one of his though.

The Cliffs of Moher. Simply breath-taking.

More cliffs rising from the sea.

Given my fear of heights, this is as close to the edge as I got!!

No trip to Ireland is complete without a kiss. They lean you over backwards and slide you out over the abyss on your back and you lean upward to kiss the bottom of the Barney Stone. It's a good 85-90 foot drop there...

Back on the houseboat - on the River Shannon - there are "street signs" out on the river so it is hard to get lost!

Everywhere along the river are workingmen and fishing persons with their helper dogs of course!

A considerable climb up from the water - the conic towers are - forgive the pun, iconic. This is Glendalough Monastery in COunty Wicklow.

To get around the rapids and shallows on the River Shannon - usually between the many lakes, you go through a "canal lock". Here is one near Carrick on Shannon.

Waiting near one of the many locks was this family of Swans. There were to be many such families along the route.

Here I am in the yellow rain jacket bringing the boat out of a lock.

A view down into a lock, they crammed as many boats as they could into the lock when things were busy. All the boats had plenty of inflated "boat bumpers" on them. A canal further north was "self serve" and far less busy.

A self serve lock. One inserted a "fare card" into the board and the gates would swing shut and the lock fill or empty depending on which way you were going.

The many cows along the river and streams like to stand out in the water and let the houseboat wake wash over their knees - they were totally un-phased by boat wake.

The monastery of Clonmacnoise (Cluain Mhic Nóis in Irish, meaning "Meadow of the Sons of Nós") is situated in County Offaly, Ireland on the River Shannon south of Athlone.

Clonmacnoise was founded in 546 by St. Ciarán, a young man from Rathcroghan, County Roscommon. Until the 9th century it had close associations with the kings of Connacht. The strategic location of the monastery helped it become a major center of religion, learning, craftsmanship, and trade by the 9th century and it was the most famous in Ireland, visited by scholars from all over Europe. Yes, you read the dates correctly!

The houseboat is docked on a wharf in the River Shannon just below this hill. Another climb up a hill brings you into the "land that time forgot." This is one spooky place!

Here you can see a houseboat on the river approaching the Clonmacnoise dock.

Another houseboat. We shared several days company and a couple trips to local pubs for sing-a-longs. The lady with the camera was very friendly and from Limerick.

The Bed and Breakfast I stayed at both before and after my house-boating cruise.

Another family of swans closes this entry. :)

11 comments:

sugarlens said...

Ah, this brings back fond memories of our Ireland trip pre-kids. The Cliffs of Moher was awesome. Luke and I spent hours there!

Jacqi Stevens said...

Well, I've heard of "Getting your ducks in a row," but swans? That's a new one on me ;)

Thanks for sharing all your Ireland photos. That must have been a memorable vacation. It is such a lovely, charming country. The kind of place where the people can make you feel right at home.

betty said...

Loved all the pictures! That Abbey was stunning! That I would love to see in person! Thanks for sharing some of your pictures with us, Iggy (and if there's more, do share them as you can)

betty

AliceKay said...

Great photos. I loved seeing the Abbey, too. I enjoyed seeing all of them. Thanks so much for sharing your trip to Ireland with us.

By the way, Iggy...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

*hugs*

ChicagoLady said...

Great pictures. You can really see the beauty that is Ireland in those pictures. Thanks for scanning them and sharing them with us!

Oh, and Happy Birthday!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Wow your photos are great even if they are older! What a fantastic trip..a houseboat what a great way to travel. I hope you get to go back again someday! It sounds like you want too! :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Sounds like an amazing trip!

Deanna said...

You make me want to go back to Ireland! The Cliffs of Mohr were on my bucket list and we did go there, but the fog was so heavy that we could not see a think. I was so disappointed, but being with a tour bus, the schedule must be kept and of course we couldn't go back for a do over later in the day.

I kissed the blarney stone! It took a lot of prodding and help from Jim to get that close and then after I did it, I got to thinking of all the other lips that had touched the stone before me.... ptewie.

What an amazing trip you had... oh and the sheep WERE everywhere, weren't they. I love Ireland.

Deanna said...

Oops. I didn't mean to post three times! Anyway, happy birthday Iggs!

yellowdoggranny said...

so beautiful

Annesphamily said...

Our middle daughter Rebekah wants to travel to Ireland. Nick has a friend or two there. I would love to travel with her. Your photos are wonderful and the story you tell is perfect to go along with your photos. Thank you for sharing.