Tuesday, July 15, 2014
Stop and Smell the Roses!
On Sunday afternoon, on my way home from the houseboat, I was stopped in Georgetown, Maryland when a drawbridge opening occurred. I've been keeping track of how often I have to sit and wait at this bridge (not that I mind, the views up and down the river are nice!) and have been stopped seven out of seven times heading home and two out of seven times heading to the houseboat.
I took this photo with my cellphone and sent it to my mother and to the one-legged lady at the wharf telling them I had been stopped once again and both of them told me, "Patience! Reflect on the fun you had during the weekend and enjoy!"
The hood of my car is a mess, I parked under a tree at the wharf to keep it in the shade!
Before heading to the wharf, I make sure I mow my lawn, sometimes I use a push mower when I want the exercise. It takes me about two and a half hours pushing - the riding mower is much faster, but I've been having trouble getting it to start. Turns out the connector to the starter was loose - and I fixed it, so when I'm in a hurry, I ride the mower and get the job done in about forty minutes. I was so happy when I got it to run!
My mom's birthday is coming up soon - and I've been looking around for something she might want and like. I spotted this wooden wire reel at the wharf and asked the owner if he had plans for it. He said, "Take it away and it's yours!" So I stuffed it into my car and brought it home. The next weekend my mom said, "Durn, the wire reel is gone! I was going to ask if I could buy it. I think it would make a neat patio table.
Mission accomplished.
One day last week, I got home from work and saw an ambulance and a police car in my neighbor's driveway. I was very concerned about them, they are good neighbors. By the time I walked over, the ambulance and police car were gone and no one answered the door. Their dog, a seven year old mutt that thinks she is still a puppy was tearing around the backyard like a maniac. An hour later, she was still out there and no one answered the door - it being hot as heck out, I let myself through the gate and made sure she had a bowl of water (she did). She seemed a little lost, so I sat with her for a half hour, hoping her mom or dad would come home. It grew dark and quite late so I went home, but I checked her a while later and a light was on in the house so someone came home.
Turns out her mom, who had lung cancer, had a dizzy spell and was choking on something. She called 911 for herself and put the dog out in the backyard so she wouldn't jump all over the EMT. She went to the ER and her husband drove there straight from work. I told them I "doggy sat" and they were quite pleased that someone was around - I told them it they ever needed a doggy sitter, emergency or not, I was "up for it." And if they needed a helping hand, I was "up for that" too.
Last weekend was the annual "Swim for Life" event at Rolph's Wharf. I loaded some photos into Flckr. There were about 300 swimmers and they swam 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 miles - unless they were in the triathlon, in which case they swam 2.4 miles and then biked 110 miles and then ran a marathon.
I was feeling somewhat cocky, having swam a mile and a third at the YMCA the week before in an hour and fifteen minutes. And then I heard during the awards ceremony for the swim, someone had swum a mile in nineteen minutes! Some days, I can't even walk that fast!
Life keeps ya humble...
Labels:
Appreciation,
Dogs,
Family,
Get Well,
Houseboat,
Just Different,
Mental Noise,
Real World
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






14 comments:
That was a stroke of luck about the wire reel; won't your Mom be surprised when her birthday rolls around and and she learns where it went? LOL!
I'm glad you were there to keep the dog company, and that her Mom got sorted out OK and was home in time for bed.
I can swim enough to keep from drowning, but that's about it. I did have swimming lessons, but since I had an unexplained fear of water my lessons focussed on getting me brave enough to go in past my waist without a stack of floatation devices on hand, and take my feet off the bottom of the pool, and by the time we actually got to the swimming part the lessons were almost over, so I didn't get much in the way of actual swimming lessons. I'm not afraid of water and actually love it now though, so the lessons were technically successful!
So...when's the Big Reveal on the birthday gift? Share pics, please :)
I'll be thinking of you tomorrow on my road trip north. I'll be on a route with drawbridge action. Well...at least you got stopped more on the way home than the way there. I think it's nicer that way--at least for those who can't wait to get to somewhere fun!
Thanks so much for dropping by Blackberry Lane. Funny about the draw bridge catching you so often. What a great gift for your Mom. She is going to love that. That is such a sweet dog that you sat with. We love our neighbors very much, also. The lady is 78 and she has a 57 yr old son with special needs. They are so very kind to us. I told her today to never hesitate to ask us for help.
Wishing you a good evening.
Mildred, Georgia
It sounds like you've had some pretty good weekends. Nothing better than being able to get away for a day or so.
Your mom will love her birthday present. Pretty luck on that one, eh? ;)
You're a good neighbor. I bet the dog enjoyed your company just as much as you enjoyed sitting with her.
My niece is into running and biking and kayaking. She participated in a triathlon recently. I doubt I'd get very far these days. lol
I checked out your pics earlier. You have some excellent shots in there. Keep 'em coming. ;)
How neat with the wire reel for your mom's birthday! She will be surprised especially since she'll realize you had to have planned it before her birthday :)
I think if I wasn't in a hurry, I would enjoy waiting for the drawbridge, at least the first few times, not sure about your perfect 7/7 record though :)
There is something satisfying of finishing mowing the lawn, no matter how it is done, and seeing it all done (for another week or however often you need to mow it :)
betty
I'm thinking you probably leave about the same time when you go back home from the houseboat, and that's why you get stuck by the drawbridge every time?
I try not to park under trees unless I have to, since I never know what will drip onto it and make a mess.
Push mowers are a pain, no pun intended. I like mowers where you just hold the handle down and it goes on it's own, all I have to do is steer, lol. Riding mowers are great for bigger lawns though.
Boy will your mom be surprised when you show up on her birthday with that wire reel! LOL
I'm glad your neighbor is ok and that was very nice of you to go check on the dog to make sure she was ok also.
110 mile biking for the triathalon? Holy cow, that's a lot of biking in one day! Then to run a marathon after that? I think my legs hurt just thinking about it.
Hope you're enjoying the summer and keeping busy at work. *hugs*
your a good man Charlie Brown.
Thanks for sharing all the update and going ons in your life. Sounds like you've been fairly busy. Great job getting your hand on that wire reel!!!
I'd love to be a fly on the wall when your mom sees the spool!! :)
Good you were there for the poor scared dog. They know when something is amiss. Glad she was okay!
Now that's some speed swimming! Goodness!
If you get caught on the bridge next weekend--just sit back and take pictures again. :) :)
You Mom is going to love that spool! Yeah you are a maniac...oh I mean mechanic ..good for you fixing the mower!! It takes me an hour to do our yard and another hour at my nieces...on the rider I am certain I would die if I had to use the push mower..it would take me days...I would probably never finish!
I am envious of your time on the houseboat...what magical weekends you have to look forward to:)
Your mom is going to be so happy when she sees your present. You are so thoughtful!
Isn't it great when you make the right choice? Your mom is going to love her birthday present and be sooooo surprised!
That was sweet of you to doggy sit when you weren't even asked to. So glad to hear all turned out ok for your neighbors.
Oh, and you are right about the need to stop and smell the roses. We lost Whiskey a week ago Friday. He had been having trouble breathing and seemed to have slowed down a bit. I wasn't too concerned since he was 10 - a nice old age for a little Chihuahua. That morning Jim had to work, so he took him out as he left but Whiskey wouldn't go. So he made sure I knew he still had to go out. I got up and immediately took him out, but he just didn't want to move. So I carried him up to his favorite place, the Orchard, so I could pick Blackberries while he roamed around, but he still would not move. I picked him up and held him to me and headed back to the house. He died in my arms halfway down the walkway. I miss that little Demon Dog more than I could ever have thought possible. He has left such a hole in our hearts. He brought us such joy and laughter. So, yea, we do need to always remember to stop and smell the roses. Huge hugs.
I'd be laying in the middle of the road whispering ...'call 911, call 911.'
Post a Comment