My parents named my brothers and I with names starting with the letter "K". None of us have middle names. While we were young boys growing up - we were often called the other's name in confusion - and we were often called the the "Three K's" when we were all together. Of course, we were called the Three Stooges when we messed up - and the Three Musketeers when we did something my folks approved.
Me in the blue coat with my older and younger brothers standing in front of my Dad's parents house in Philadelphia.
My older brother in his Cub Scouts uniform, my younger brother getting squished, and me. This is inside my grandparents sitting room - The color is badly faded (I'm still wearing that blue coat!)
Both of my brothers named all their children with names starting with "K". My older brother went one step further and added middle names starting with the letter "J". So we have the "K.J.'s" My younger brother gave my niece the middle name of Edith to honor my Dad's mother.
I hope this is oh-KAY with them!
Thursday, January 9, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



18 comments:
Hah, funny! :) My parents misnamed me after my grandmother. They THOUGHT her name was Patricia, so they gave me that as a middle name. Later found out that is NOT her middle name and that she hated that name to begin with, which is why nobody knew that wasn't her real name!
How wonderful that your niece is name after your Grandmother! I enjoyed the old photos of you in your blue coat! Your Mom had her hands full and I can imagine that she got you all confused if she was hollering for one of you. I did that too with our girls..finally "You whatever your name is...pay attention!" kinda worked. :)
My parents did the same thing yours did, only we 3 Ks were sisters! We hated that saying as kids but it grew on us....and when we text we are k1, k2 n k3. Judging from the looks of your photos it was the same era. Thanks for the smile.
Enjoyed looking at the pictures of you/brothers from young days. Cute theme with the "K" and then carried further with the "K.J". My mom started named my sister after her mom and my dad's mom's first names, which my sister carried down when she had her first daughter. My brother was named for my dad; not sure how they came up with my name :)
betty
My friend Inky and his brother and one sister all have names that start with M and middle initial with an L..but they all have nick names and hardly ever get called by real name..Melvin is Inky, Mark and Monty get called Mark and Monty, and for the life of me I can't even remember Pee Wee's real name and Michael is Snake..cause he does the stuff with rattlesnakes.. I'm glad I was named after my uncle Jack..if I had been named after my other uncle I would have been called Hicky Sue.
My name is Mary, and my sister's name is Janet, and my Mom never could get it right. It came out something like jermanjanmar GIRLS!!! She does it to this day...
My folks wanted to name me Elizabeth, but she'd just gotten crowned queen, and they thought there'd be an Elizabeth surplus. So they named me Mary, like EVERY OTHER GIRL IN MY CLASS.
Cute! We always try to work family names into the mix. Grandma was Margaret, mom was Margaret Marie, sis was Kathleen Margaret, I am Deanna Marie, and I have Tessa Marie and Julie Deanna. Tessa has Emily Deanna and Cara Marie (not sure what happened with Anna Rose's name hehe). Greg has Reagan Marie. Then we have the take on Jim - Gregory James, James William, Travis James. Aren't names fun?
When I was growing up a family up the road from us had 7 kids with all of their names starting with J. Whew! What a challenge.
Wow! Does that mean you boys never got in really bad trouble, because you didn't have middle names?! If it's really bad trouble, you have to be called by your middle name, too, you know. ;)
Cute pics. :) I never knew you didn't have a middle name. (or did i? lol)
I actually have a two-word first name and no middle name, but a lot of people (some who know me but still do it) will call me by the first part of my first name. Used to really tick me off. Doesn't anymore.
Hoping you have a good weekend and stay high and dry. *hugs*
I've always wondered why people did that... named kids with same letters. I had a friend and she and her sister had names starting with La. La Rea and La Nell. I often wondered what her mother would have named a 3rd child.
Rest assured that it wouldn't make any difference in the name calling, however. There were 8 of us and my mama started at the top and started calling names until she got to the right child.
Cute pictures of you and your brothers. I think many families try to continue on family names, either as a junior or as a middle name. I know my family on both sides has done it for several generations.
You guys were cutie patooties! So you were the KKK? LOL, sorry I had to say it.
No middle names is suprising to me. I guess that's OhKAY.
So so cute, love looking at pictures such as these, Francine.
Dagan has no middle name, either. You all look so cute!!! Lots of memories. Doesn't time fly so fast?! :)
The name thing makes no difference with getting kids mixed up. I'm the only girl, and we all have names starting with different letters anyway, but we still get called each other's names (yes, even to this day; despite us all being grown up).
I read this post when it was posted, but didn't realize that I didn't comment it! It must had been lots of fun growing up with two brothers. I also have two brothers, but it wasn't the same for me. :) smiling @ "oh-KAY with them!" cute.
Gosh I loved the photos and the story behind your name! We were all named after other relatives. I am named after my mom's youngest sister. My sister Mary for our paternal grandmother and middle name Cecilia for our mother and her mother too! One of my brothers is named for our dad and I am not sure where my folks came up with the older two Patricia and William. But a name stays with you your entire life so you need a good one. Our oldest daughter and youngest son have the same initials NCR (National Cash Register)! LOL! I always think of that when I think of two of them having the same initials. Great post and love the photos.
Post a Comment