Thursday, January 16, 2014

Captain Starn's - Atlantic City Landmark - Wordless Wednesday


Postmarked 1967

Some words - This postcard was sent in 1967 by my younger brother to our Aunt Bea. We used to go to this restaurant for his birthday dinner. The boardwalk to the right always had seals and sea lions playing under and around it - you could feed them some stinky fish (heads and all). This place was at the very northern end of the boardwalk, it was opened by Clarence Starn in 1940.

There is a Facebook page for the place. It uses the same photo!

This webpage has further photos and a video.

Ah, the memories...the place no longer exists.

10 comments:

Deanna said...

Ahhh memories indeed. It is a shame that it no longer exists. Maybe the stinky fish ran all of the customers off ;)

Huggsssss

Far Side of Fifty said...

It sounds like a fun place back in it's day:)

betty said...

What a shame it doesn't exist anymore. Looks like a nice place to have a birthday meal! Thankfully it will live on in your memories!

betty

jewelrybyrebecca said...

I have only been to Atlantic City once and was so distracted by the contrast of poor homeless folks and the tossing away of money at casinos that I didn't take much else in. Hm, I bet there is so much more to the city.

Furry Bottoms said...

good memories :)

Primitive Stars said...

Never been but to bad not there any more, Francine.

yellowdoggranny said...

one of these summers I'm going to go round and visit all my friends and see the lovely places they live.

AliceKay said...

Looks like it was a "happening" place, back in the day. I'm glad you have some good memories of the place.

Rita said...

Seals and meals! What a treat! :)

Annesphamily said...

What a delight! I just hate to see memories of my childhood disappear. Years ago a favorite family style restaurant was a chicken place that had an electric train that ran across the walls through all the rooms that diners eat their lunch and dinner in. I loved that train. I was always jealous of my older brother who had an electric train set. My dad even built him a huge table to run that train around. Sigh!