Last Saturday, my dad and I took a train ride! This was his first "day out" since his health troubles began the day before Thanksgiving. I had bought tickets to the excursion long before that - and was hoping against hope he would be "up to it."
Up to it he was!
Here comes the train!
The ex-Lehigh Valley "SW-1" locomotive, #112 was built in April, 1939!
Founded in the early 1960's by a group of friends with an interest in steam railroading, the Black River & Western Railroad has seen many changes over the years. The first BR&W passenger trains between Flemington and Ringoes operated under a lease agreement with the Pennsylvania Railroad, which still operated freight service on the line. Eventually, the BR&W purchased the line from Lambertville to Flemington, and later added the former Central Railroad of New Jersey line from Flemington to Three Bridges.
After the ride, I walked 10 miles on the Delaware Canal on a sunny but chilly day.
Happy New Year to all!
Tuesday, December 31, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





16 comments:
You are such a good son! :) I know your Dad enjoyed that immensely!
I am so so SO happy you got to do this together!! Happy New Year, my friend.
I am sure your dad enjoyed the outing so much. Happy New Year!
So good to hear that your Dad felt good enough to go on the train ride! That is good news! Ten miles...wow I am impressed. If I walked ten miles I would be dead:(
Happy New Year...I almost forgot! :)
So glad your dad could make this train ride! I'm sure you two enjoyed the time together! Beautiful picture you posted here! WTG on the 10 mile walk too!
Happy New Year! May it be a good one!
betty
Walking is one of my favorite ways to go :) Congratulations on your dad's improved health!
What a beautiful, contemplative scene that last photograph provides! You must have had plenty of time to think, considering those ten miles! Wow!
Glad your dad was up to the train trip!
Wishing you the best in 2014!
I used to love trains..would wave to them, admire the graffiti..now after living in West for so long and having them fecking trains run thru town 8-92 times a day or parking and blocking 3 out of 4 gates into town has changed my opinion..I give the engineer the finger every chance I get.
I'm glad your dad was able to take the train ride you had planned for him. Sounds like fun. :)
Happy New Year, Iggy!
Oh I am sooo glad you two made a train excursion!! And your walk sounds heavenly, too. I pray that 2014 is going to be a really good year, my friend!! Love and hugs!! :):)
two things. Envious of having more time with "dad" ... and the wonderful day you had.
I haven't been on a train in YEARS.... I hope to do something like this with the kiddos. I love the photo of the canal too, brings back memories of my wedding on the Delaware. (At Center Bridge)
Choo-choo! :)
Glad your Dad was up to taking the train ride!
I bet your dad (and you) felt good taking that train ride.
I love trains! I love the story. You are very blessed having your dad and I am happy to hear he is doing well. I think enjoying things you love always make you feel better! I remember being on a train when I was a kid, about 12 years old, and we were traveling through Pittsburgh. We were on a bridge overlooking the city, it was night time and so beautiful. I love such memories.
Post a Comment