Thursday, December 5, 2013

A Welcomed Phone Call

After a week in the hospital, a minor heart attack, congestive heart failure, edema, and an episode of massive internal bleeding - my dad called me on his cellphone saying "I'm on my way home."

This past Thanksgiving was "interrupted" and found the family gathered together, including my brother and his family from out of town, scrambling about and supporting each other as my dad was very much under the weather. The Wednesday evening before Thanksgiving, he suffered massive bleeding, and ended up having an emergency in the ER (he passed out while going to the bathroom). Many units of blood transfusions later, he developed edema and that triggered a heart attack. The doctors implanted a pacemaker a couple days ago (was it Tuesday? forgive me things are a blur) and then treated him for the aftermath of the edema treatment (apparently the drugs for that temporarily (hopefully!) messed up his kidney function).

No phone call has ever been more welcomed.

I thank all of you for your kind words - your prayers - and your unstinting support. I am truly blessed with the best of friends.

On Thanksgiving, my family understood - really understood - what being thankful really means... it's not for "stuff"... it's for blessings. We were thankful for the hospital ER staff that saved my dad's life. We all want him to be able to pull in more Red Drum and other fish like the one pictured - on another day.

16 comments:

sugarlens said...

So glad your dad is okay! Agree with you -- "stuff" don't matter, family and health do!!

Parsley said...

Somehow I had a 'feeling' over Thanksgiving that my thoughts should be with you. Gosh!!! Scary! Hope he continues to mend and am so thankful for you all that he's going home to enjoy more family time under better circumstances. HUGS

Far Side of Fifty said...

He is out! Great news! Hopefully his recovery will be sift! :)

betty said...

That was one mighty big fish your dad caught! So thankful he is home and that he is doing better! Truly an ordeal I am sure!

betty

Dorkys Ramos said...

I'm so glad to hear your dad is okay. What a scare! My family was also very thankful to be together and healthy after my father's brother passed away in the Dominican Republic just days earlier. It was a really sudden and sad moment, but we were just grateful to still have each other. My sis and I even surprised my dad at the airport when he came home from the funeral.

It's these moments that remind us how important it is to say how much we love each other all the time. I hope your dad has a smooth and speedy recovery. I'm sure he knows how much he's cared for, but tell him anyway.

Deanna said...

What a heart felt thank you and message of love, Iggy. I was so happy to wander into blog land and find this post from you. Your dad (and you) have been in my constant prayers. Your post reminds me of how much I, too, have to be thankful for.

Rita said...

Absolutely, positively what Thanksgiving is all about! Love, family, gratitude. So glad to hear he is heading home. May you have an uneventful, uninterrupted rest of the holiday season. Love and hugs!! :):)

AliceKay said...

Nice to see that pic of your dad and to know he's doing much better. :) I'm thankful for that ER staff, too. *hugs*

ChicagoLady said...

I'm soooo glad your dad is doing better and at home now! You probably have had enough of hospitals by now. Here's hoping things will now be better in 2014.

LadyStyx said...

*HUGZ* So glad to hear that dad's doing better and is at home again.

Queenie Jeannie said...

Ohmygosh!! I had no idea! I'm so sorry your Dad went through all that, but I'm so grateful he pulled through. Big, big hugs and tons of prayers that he continues to recover! Love to you all!!!!

AliceKay said...

Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. *hugs*

Annesphamily said...

I figured with all the things going on it would be nice to let you know you won my giveaway! Lots of prayers coming to your dad and your phamily. Take care and keep in touch! I am happy you won! Anne

Annesphamily said...

My sister recently had a pacemaker put in. I hope your dad does well with it. She seems to be getting along and she watches her little great grand babies so she is happy and looks healthy! Praying hard.

Pamela said...

stuck in my own little world and didn't stop by. I am so sorry. But thankful you got "I'm coming home" call.

Praying that your Christmas will be much less stressful. Good health for all!

Jacqi Stevens said...

Don't know how I missed this, Iggy...I guess life has been in a whirl for me, too, lately. What a welcome phone call that must have been for you.

Glad your dad is much better--and able to go back home. That must have been quite a tense time for your family. You are right: these are the kinds of trying episodes that wake us up to what are really our blessings in life.

Great pic of your dad!