Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Want to go on a Biplane ride?

This past weekend, my younger brother, dad and I went to see the airshow at the Golden Age Air Museum. The weather was a bit cloudy and cool at first, but by the end of the show - the sun had popped out.  We had a good time, and as always, we stood in awe at the marvelous 80-90 year old planes being expertly flown for us.

 I just like the paint job on this green and white 1930 Great Lakes "Sport Trainer."  It put on quite a show.


 The star of the arcobatics show was this yellow Bücker Jungmeister (U-55).  It did crazy stunts like the one in the video below - if you have a weak stomach, be prepared for it to lurch!




After watching this particular move, my dad turned to me and asked, "Want to go on a Biplane ride?"
"Umm," I replied, "no... I don't think so."

13 comments:

Parsley said...

Having a moderate fear of heights I would pass on the plane ride as well ;-) Looks like you had a fun outing.

Rita said...

An intentional stall--OMG! I'm afraid of heights in the first place--no thanks!
I do love to see these old colorful planes you and your dad visit, though. :)

Jacqi Stevens said...

"Ummm...no" would be my answer, too, but I wouldn't have to "think" about it. Just one look at the smoke from that thing while it's still on the ground would be enough to convince me :)

AliceKay said...

Aww....why not? LOL

Looks like a great air show. Love the different planes. :)

ChicagoLady said...

I'd LOVE to go on a biplane ride! It's like a roller coaster only without a track.

betty said...

Looks like a fun time for the three of you. I think I'd like to do the biplane on one flip and then that might be enough :)

betty

Queenie Jeannie said...

Ugh! Me either!!! I love those shows, but I'm always so afraid they're going to crash. Glad you had fun and that the weather turned nice!! What's that like???

sugarlens said...

A no for me as well. I will get sick! It's great that you do fun things with you dad and brother regularly.

Far Side of Fifty said...

beautiful planes best viewed from the ground. Although the thought of putting on aviator goggles and a scarf to trail in the wind just above the tree tops sounds lovely. I am a little afraid of heights:)

Mimi said...

when I was about 6 years old (1957) my very timid father asked me if I wanted to get on a little airplane and go for a ride. We were at some kind of fair, and they were taking people up, I forget the price. So we went! It was really fun. It was the first time either of us flew.
I don't know if I would do it today, mostly because I know that all of those airplanes are OLD now.

Mimi's watercolors

Deanna said...

I'm afraid I would have a permanent stall if I were part of that "amusement" ride. Oh what fun, though.

yellowdoggranny said...

I love to watch planes fly ..all kinds of planes..as long as I'm not on it.

Annesphamily said...

I fly but usually just in commercial planes. I always think of Bill Engvall when I think of flying. He was honored to fly with the Blue Angels! He thought he was a real hotshot until the pilot started spinning and flipping that plane all over the place! HaHaHa! Bill was crying "Mamaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...."LOL!