Monday, January 7, 2013

7 O'Clock on the 21st Day...


Durant, Bryan County, Oklahoma - Circa 1915(?)

My mom recently found a box of old photos and old dresses her mother squirreled away many years ago. The dresses include those that my mom wore as a little girl and have extensive hand-stitch embroidery on them. We are seeing how to best preserve them - I insisted she not try to wash them until we figured out just how to do so safely.

One photo in the thousands that struck me is this one - My mom's father is the young man fourth from the left behind the desk. The photo is unmarked, but appears to be a bank and/or a telegraph office. The day calendar says "21st" and the clock says 7:00. The signs on the teller(?) cages says American Express Travelers Cheques For Sale Here and Accepted Here.

American Express Traveler's Cheques were first offered in 1891. I think the older gent in the center of the photo might be the bank manager.

My grandfather was an early radio-telgrapher aboard a Navy ship during WWI. Perhaps he learned how being employed in a telegraph office in Durant, Oklahoma?

20 comments:

Furry Bottoms said...

You would have had a excellent job as a curator in a museum, me thinks!!

Parsley said...

That's in my 'back yard' so to speak.

Jacqi Stevens said...

Fascinating find! How fortunate that your mom still had all those photos--especially this one.

I am wondering if more of the general public were knowledgeable about telegraph operation and reading back in that time--at least more than we would suspect.

I remember, in all the material I read on Laura Ingalls Wilder and her daughter Rose Wilder Lane (who worked in San Francisco as a young woman), reading a story of a woman working at a hotel, specifically because she knew how to send and read the telegraph messages. That was probably a general way of long-distance communication, maybe more widespread in use among business concerns at that time. I don't know...just a guess. Wish I could remember where I first read that...

Oh, definitely, have your mom hold off on laundering those dresses. How wonderful to be able to preserve them!

AliceKay said...

This a great old photo. Interesting bit of info you've uncovered from it.

I hope you and your mom figure out the best way to preserve the dress. Sounds like a rare find, and something that could be passed down thru the generations.

Deanna said...

The lone female in "a man's world" interested me. Photos speak volumes and yet leave you wondering. Great photo and you are so right about restoring that dress correctly.

Got your text about Mandy after I sent you the email. I had left my phone in the car (as I often negligently do). So sad.

Hugs.

Pamela said...

The photo sort of looks like a bank.
love the old stove!
Interesting that the town in OK is the same name as my street!

Can't wait to see the dresses ???

My husband found some more geneology stuff in some of his moms stuff that we hadn't gone through. There were some typed pages from a civil war diary that we assume came from his great great grandfather. I'll share it someday on my blog when I can assure that it is his.

betty said...

What a wonderful find your mother found, Iggy. That picture sure is interesting; I'm sure you are going to try to do some sleuthing to find out more about it.

Totally agree about the dresses with proper care; but I'm sure your mom had a lot of memories that came back when she saw them!

betty

Far Side of Fifty said...

Great old photo! Does the year 1915 put your Grandpa about 20-25 years old? That must have been a popular way to have a bank back in the day..I have almost the same photo of a bank at the museum...except mine has no beautiful stove:
Do not launder..she should lay them in between sheets of acid free tissue paper. If she wants to display them..lay them out and vacume gently with a window screen over the nozzle.
I bet they are beautiful:)

Queenie Jeannie said...

Another treasure trove!!!! How exciting! You have such a remarkable family.

Feeling better today? Hope so!

jewelrybyrebecca said...

Great find!!! What a treasure to have those old dresses. We found 2 old baby dresses years after my Grandmother passed, with the tags still attached. I have a photo with my baby girs in those dresses. Priceless!!!

Lainie said...

We found lots of cool pics of my parents last year stashed away in dusty boxes and I spent an entire afternoon looking at them. What an awesome find! Nothing like old photos!!

yellowdoggranny said...

if anyone ever cleaned up my aunts garage there would be a gold mine of stuff in there..all the costumes she made for her sons (who danced when they were kids on the Arthur Godfrey show) dresses for all of us girls..

Rita said...

Too bad you and Connie can't work side by side. ;) I think you're right about the dresses and not cleaning them until you find out the best way to clean older, more fragile fabrics (probably by hand) and with what.

You have the most interesting ancestors/family line. Glad to see you posting!!! Whoohoo! :):)

Patsy said...

I enjoyed your blog "History isn't about dates" very much.
As a matter of fact I enjoy all of your post.

ChicagoLady said...

I'm sure that picture has lots of stories to tell, and you're just the person to dig them up. We'll be hearing more about the people in the picture in the near future, I bet!

Jacqi Stevens said...

Because I wanted to let you know I really appreciate the encouragement you provide me through your comments at my blog, I just nominated you for the "Wonderful Team Member Readership Award." Your comments on my blog throughout the year have helped make A Family Tapestry what it is, and I really appreciate that!

I've explained more about the award here.

Thanks again for everything--not only your encouragement to other bloggers, but for your own fascinating stories here on your blog! Hope this brings a little sunshine your way :)

AliceKay said...

Sending gentle hugs your way.

AliceKay said...

Just in case you get notifications when people comment on your blog, I'm sending you another hug. :)

The Wife O Riley said...

That is a really interesting picture! I hope you get to the bottom of the story behind it. :)

Annesphamily said...

I love stories behind old photos. My sister just e mailed me a ton of phamily pics. I am going to post some and also have my hubby print some out. My sis found a photo of my mom with all four of her sisters and my one aunts sister-in-law. It is just precious and I need to put it up.
Your stories are always so interesting. I know everyone has missed you here. I am way late commenting. Always running about and getting no where fast! LOL!
Thanks for the share!