
Photograph the property of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania
Prominent on the third building from the right, is a sign saying "J. Mousley". This might date the photograph to before his death in 1883.
Joseph Mousley (born July 22, 1803 near Leicester, England - died July 8, 1883 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) was my 4th great grandfather. I wonder if he might be standing on the sidewalk? None of these buildings are still standing, the lots are now paved over for automobile parking.
I find the juxtaposition of the oysters and feather vendors odd, but amusing. My father and I, as did my grandfather, enjoy eating oysters in just about any form.
I wish to thank everyone for their helpful comments and support concerning my last entry. I wrote a letter expressing my feelings and as I was set to burn it, as an offering of sorts, I remembered I had sent her a Christmas card, and the address of her surviving husband (which I could find nowhere) was find and put on the envelope and it was mailed to him and his two daughters. I felt much better having done this much.
I will not be posting much in the foreseeable future. Things at work have finally picked up and things are once more, too busy (it always seems to be nothing or too much). I will attempt to keep up with reading your posts and will comment when I have (or think I have) something worth saying or simply can't restrain myself from saying something silly and/or stupid!

19 comments:
What a fun picture! You know, I have never eaten an oyster in ANY form. Am I missing something?
I'm glad you were able to mail the letter. It will be a treasure.
As to work picking up, hooray. Now, remember to find some YOU time every once in a while and if part of that YOU time is blogging or commenting on blogs, we'll only be the better for it.
Great photo! Glad "someone" was able to find it. A real family keepsake...even if you only get to have a copy of it.
As for oysters...perhaps they are not an acquired taste, after all. Perhaps it is genetic ;)
That would be neat if your great-grandfather was in the picture! I guess it runs in the family the love of oysters!! I am glad to hear work is picking up; I know that has to be a relief on several fronts. My philosophy of blogs is they are always here and one can always come back to them if one so desires or take an extended break from them, but they are always here and always so time consuming. I'm reevaluating my thoughts about blogging myself.
do take care of yourself Iggy! Pop in every once in awhile with just a "hi" here if you can to let us know all is as well as it can be.
I'm glad you were able to send the letter to your friend's family; I am sure they appreciated it.
betty
What a fantastic picture! I'm sure if it's possible, you'll figure out if your 4 times great-grandfather is in the photo.
I'm so glad work is picking up for you. For too long you didn't have enough to do, and I know how tedious that can become after awhile.
I will look forward to any and all silly posts you find time to make.
*HUGS*
That's a great old picture. (i will pass on the oysters)
I'm glad you found the address to send the letter to her husband and daughters. I'm sure it will be appreciated. And I'm glad you feel better about it now.
*hugs*
I stared at that old photo for quite some time, everything about it is mesmerizing to me. I do enjoy reading about your history, you write about it so well and I get lost in the links you provide.
I fear I have been gone for way to long, I need to catch up here. I guess life is filled with ups and downs and there just isn't a darn thing we can do about it. Thank you for visiting my blog, I always look forward to your comments and kind words. I will be taking time to catch up here and hopefully write some more myself.
Oh, and one more thing...I love oysters too! Anyway anytime, anywhere...
What a find your old photo is! Sp glad you found it!
I have never tried Oysters..I am always afraid I would upchuck very unlady like..perhaps like that barforama of the blueberrry pie eating contest in Stand By Me ( I watched that movie again the other night..so I have barf on my brain.)
So glad you had a chance to write to your friends family..and send it off in the mail.
Good that you are busy at work..I hope you get to the houseboat for some R and R too:)
You would so love to be here right now. This month seems to be all about boats and seafood festivals!
Hope things at work are the good sort of busy! *Hugs*
I miss you already.
I can't read the sign, but love the old photo! So glad you mailed the letter to her hubby and girls!! Awesome!! :):)
Business picking up is a wonderful reason to be too busy to blog. I was away from reading for almost a week and have spent hours just reading blogs and catching up with everyone. Have a refreshing weekend--on the boat, hopefully! ;) *hugs*
Somehow I missed this post. I'm glad to know you found a way to resolve your grief.
Don't you just love old photos! And to be able to tie it to your family right that. I'd want to think your granddad is in the picture. Oh to be able to travel back in time. Your family is so rich in history. Mine is too, but not in quite the same way as yours. Will (hopefully) be doing a family gone by post soon.
Hooray and boo on things picking up at work. No rest for the wicked ;) And when it rains, it pours. I'm sure I could throw a bunch more sayings your way, but this is probably enough!
Huge hugs!
Such a cool photo! What wonderful history!
Hi! I always enjoy a visit here and I am always way behind visiting everyone. Having lost Nick to college today I am sad and trying to regain my composure before I return to work tomorrow! Pray for me!
This photo is amazing and you must be so tickled to have this representing your family. What a delight!
I have not eaten a lot of oysters but was intrigued by the taste and slippery texture!
I will sure miss you but I do understand, work has to come first so one can pay the bills! LOL! Otherwise I would always be off on an adventure.
I hope you can stop by before you get too busy at the office, and I am sorry for the loss of your friend and colleague. Glad to know you sent that letter to her family. You are a remarkable person. Your heart is so kind and I have enjoyed visiting here. I will always stop by just to leave a comment! Blessings, Anne
I hope that work keeps you busy with good things. I didn't know you worked at GSK. My cousin worked at Wyeth for many years and I work at PFE. Small world. Take the time you need to find your bearings. We will be waiting patiently for you. Hugs!
that will be priceless treasure for her family .. your letter.
I'm on my laptop haven't hard time seeing the whole picture. But just so you know, you can have my plate of oysters. ha ha
How cool Iggy. I just love old photos like this and to be able to discover one with someone or something from your own family makes it super special!
Just popping in the give you a big ol' hug. Hope all is well!
So interesting!! Leicester (pronounced Lester) is very near where Miss Emily grew up - Earl Shilton. Lots of cool history as always!
Hugs on your busy work schedule. When it rains, it pours, huh?? Hang in there and we look forward to hearing from you, as always!
Post a Comment