Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Time to Hug a Tree

For the last two weeks in February, I was in the sunny Florida Keys. This has become a nearly annual trip for me - and I stayed with my parents in a small resort. Not far from my bedroom window, was a smallish palm tree standing alone against the edge of the resort driveway - but somehow, I don't think it minded being where it was.

My mother asked me each evening if I had watched the sunset - they are truely spectacular in the Keys - I think mostly because it can be clearly seen - the backdrop is the wide expanse of the Florida Bay. Of the nearly dozen sunsets I witnessed, only one was a "fizzle" and not one was alike.

I ended up taking literally hundreds of photos of the sun setting. My theory was, given digital film is basically free, taking lots of pictures wouldn't cost hardly anything and might end up with me accidently getting one or two "good ones."

Take 300 pictures, 150 of them will be better than (your) average, right? And maybe, hopefully, a small handful might actually be worth keeping.

I share with you that single, solitary palm tree - out by the water's edge with only a couple regrets.

One, a certain good friend can't see the glory that is in them, and I've no language ability that will convey that intangible feeling of... awe that experienced watching the sun slowly head for the horizon in a final blaze of color, an awe that these photographs can only barely represent and/or preserve.

And second, that you weren't there with me to share the sunsets with me, as they happened.


If a man walks in the woods for love of them half of each day, he is in danger of being regarded as a loafer. But if he spends his days as a speculator, shearing off those woods and making the earth bald before her time, he is deemed an industrious and enterprising citizen. ~Henry David Thoreau

Us sing and dance, make faces and give flower bouquets, trying to be loved. You ever notice that trees do everything to git attention we do, except walk? ~Alice Walker, The Color Purple, 1982


I frequently tramped eight or ten miles through the deepest snow to keep an appointment with a beech-tree, or a yellow birch, or an old acquaintance among the pines. ~Henry David Thoreau

God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought, disease, avalanches, and a thousand tempests and floods. But he cannot save them from fools. ~John Muir


I like trees because they seem more resigned to the way they have to live than other things do. ~Willa Cather, 1913


Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day, listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is by no means a waste of time. ~J. Lubbock


A seed hidden in the heart of an apple is an orchard invisible. ~Welsh Proverb

For in the true nature of things, if we rightly consider, every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold and silver. ~Martin Luther


It is not so much for its beauty that the forest makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air that emanation from old trees, that so wonderfully changes and renews a weary spirit. ~Robert Louis Stevenson


Trees are poems that earth writes upon the sky,
We fell them down and turn them into paper,
That we may record our emptiness.
~Kahlil Gibran


A few minutes ago every tree was excited, bowing to the roaring storm, waving, swirling, tossing their branches in glorious enthusiasm like worship. But though to the outer ear these trees are now silent, their songs never cease. Every hidden cell is throbbing with music and life, every fiber thrilling like harp strings, while incense is ever flowing from the balsam bells and leaves. No wonder the hills and groves were God's first temples, and the more they are cut down and hewn into cathedrals and churches, the farther off and dimmer seems the Lord himself. ~John Muir


There is always Music amongst the trees in the Garden, but our hearts must be very quiet to hear it. ~Minnie Aumonier

Alone with myself
The trees bend to caress me
The shade hugs my heart.
~Candy Polgar


It is difficult to realize how great a part of all that is cheerful and delightful in the recollections of our own life is associated with trees. ~Wilson Flagg

The tree is more than first a seed, then a stem, then a living trunk, and then dead timber. The tree is a slow, enduring force straining to win the sky. ~Antoine de Saint-Exupéry


Happiness is sharing a bowl of cherries and a book of poetry with a shade tree. ~Terri Guillemets

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The next best time is now. ~Chinese Proverb

26 comments:

Furry Bottoms said...

Those sunset pictures are impossibly gorgeous! And you can tell our mutual friend that it is like hearing the most beautiful music in the world... and having it echo so wide there was no end to it.

yellowdoggranny said...

absolutely fantastic..thank you..

I used to have a tshirt that had a picture of a drunk kitty cat in a champagne glass..it said happiness is a tight pussy.

sugarlens said...

Love all the quotes! Hey, I was in Florida too in February. Just in Orlando instead!

Rita said...

Now this was a post worth waiting for!!! OMG! Gorgeous, gorgeous sunsets! A place for the soul to rest and recharge indeed. I'll pretend Karma and I were there watching sunsets with you. I hope you hugged that brave, solitary tree!! ;)

Now I have to go check your flickr photos and lift my soul a little. :)

Anonymous said...

I almost cried. I see such beauty in this picture, the quotes, and maybe something more...maybe I see the tree as a man, planted in the middle of beauty, and becoming beauty himself because of the experience.

ChicagoLady said...

Such beautiful sunsets, as a perfect backdrop for such a lovely, lonely tree. I hope you had someone to share them with.

AliceKay said...

Beautiful photos of the tree and the sunsets. I enjoyed them here tonight just as I did when I viewed your Flickr set the first time. :)

Those are all wonderful quotes, too. Thanks for sharing them along with your special tree. *hugs*

jmt said...

I absolutely love quotes, especially when they make me think and want to be better about something. So thank you.

Queenie Jeannie said...

What an incredible post!! Gorgeous photos, and stirring sentiments! BRAVO!!!!!!

Mary said...

Just breathtaking!

Martha said...

The photos are stunning. I might have to beg for an enlargement of one! Fabulous quotes too!

I hope you have a great day! This was a great start to mine!

jewelrybyrebecca said...

Awesome photos and great quotes!! Especially the last one.

You're right about taking so many to get a good photo. I take at least 30 jewelry picture to get 4 or 5 good ones.

Anonymous said...

I hugged a tree the other day; we saw it on the way to the vet when we were going to see how long the walk took and exactly where the vet was. It was a huge old tree, planted firmly by the side of the road. The bark on its trunk was gnarled and bumpy, but it stood there ttall and proud, despite being obviously weather-beaten.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I love the quotes, by the way!

aladdinsane12 said...

What beautiful pictures (and quotes, too!) I especially love the photo where the sun is so intense that even the photo almost makes you squint. I imagine you had a very relaxing time.

Desiree said...

What an absolutely captivating post! Your captures are truly sensational and the quotes you selected to enhance each are beautiful, resonating so deeply with our souls. I am going to be coming back again to enjoy the beauty you've shared over and over. So much wisdom, so much to contemplate and yes, your lone palm tree deserved its moment of glory for all to share. I, too, cannot imagine a world without trees. The very first thing my husband and I did when we bought our own plot 30 years ago was to buy tiny saplings from the forestry department. As soon as our newly built house was ready, large holes were dug and filled with compost to welcome each baby tree. Those same trees now tower above our heads 29 years later. Not a day passes that I don't feel grateful for their presence. Thank you for sharing your beautiful world with us.

LadyStyx said...

And everyone of those sunsets were puzzle and frame-worthy. I simply cannot improve on what Furry Bottoms said.

Far Side of Fifty said...

What a wonderful set of photos and quotes..I love trees..they are so expressive if you take the time to just look. You have captured that Palm Tree and made it a star..lovely sunsets..made me feel all warm inside just like the satisfaction I get after a long productive day.
I have felt the Keys calling me all winter..it is one place in Florida that we have not explored. We were stationed at MacDill in Tampa back in the seventies..I enjoyed living there...we had a trip to the Keys planned and the Gasoline shortage hit Florida in late 1973 and 1974..bummer.
Our daughter just came back from Orlando..she brought me a bag of oranges from a roadside stand.
I hope your vacation was as lovely as all your photos:)

Lickety Splitter said...

I'm in Key West sunset and lone palm tree AWE! Not to mention all those souls who loved trees enough to write of them in such glorious terms!

Yankee Girl said...

Where oh where did you stay??? It looks so beautiful.

Miss you lots!

Thanks for the awesome photos. They helped to warm me up!

Pamela said...

We took our 6 year old grandson to his conference (his mama called us with a cry of "help me" on her way to the school because the 2 year old started puking in the car.. another story ... ha ha) Anyway.. we ended up coming and picking up our first grader and going to his conference. (Yes. he is doing great)
Anyway ... all around the elephants trunk is leading to this: They had a big sign up sheet for one free tree to each child at the school through a city project to replace trees lost in the past few years to the horrible wind storms. There would even be a person sent to each house to help you choose the right space and the right tree.

As I went through these photos you took I thought about all the other days of the year - when you aren't there to record this tree be a vanguard for the setting sun. Brave and steadfast it be!

Celticspirit said...

Wonderful post! I was accused of being a tree hugger recently...and believe me, I took it as a compliment. I love trees...and nature. Your pictures are beautiful.

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

I love your palm. It's difficult to pic a favorite, but I rally like the one with the brillinat sun in all it's glory. I could just sit and watch it for hours. I'm sure you did too. It's good for the soul.

I love the Keys with the pretty blue water. They are so good for taking away stress. I hope you came home more relaxed.

Martha said...

Iggy!!! Long time no see! I was just reading through some of your most recent posts and had to stop to comment on this one - you know how I love the water and those beautiful palm trees. On one of your trips you are going to have to plan a side trip to come visit me! Thanks so much for stopping by today. I'm sorry I've been such a bad blogging friend, but it's great to be back in touch :)

Annesphamily said...

Your photos are spectacular! Your stories are always so enjoyable!
My son-in-law grew up in the Keys, I wish I had known you were going. His grandmothers house is a historial home and is somewhere there. I need to find out the name of the city. The story he told us aobut his grandmother was wonderful! Blessings, Anne

Deanna said...

How could I have missed such a special post from my favorite tree hugger? Drop dead gorgeous pictures. I would have had the same regrets. You know how I/we feel about trees. We hug them every day. The solitary palm standing alone is symbolic.. I just don't know how! I'll figure it out someday. I will go back and read all of those wonderful quotes. Huge hugs Igs. Ya know how much I care.