
In the past, I've written about how some of my father maternal relatives worked for a world famous hat manufacturer in downtown Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
I was thinking about them today. None of my grandmother's siblings and various aunts and uncles were known for their sartorial splendor with the possible exception of my great-aunt Eleanor, and my grandmother who wanted to dress like "the Queen." I think she meant Queen Elizabeth the Current One.
It's not they dressed badly, if the many old photos of them that I have is any indication. It's just that, well, let's take one of my great-uncles as an example, I'll leave him unnamed as to let his spirit rest in peace. He once visited my grandfather in a hospital room, having come from yet another funeral dressed in a rather odd manner.
I'm going to digress briefly, and explain the "yet another funeral" comment. He was a interesting man, this great-uncle. He had a sharp wit and was quick to laugh. I didn't see him very often as he seemed to always be busy going to someone or other's funeral. Now, I'm going to give him the benefit of a doubt and say he was a friendly and caring sort and had many acquaintances and clients with his insurance business, as opposed to thinking he just enjoyed going to funerals because they offered free food. But I don't think anyone really knows.
At any rate, one evening while my grandfather was laid up in a hospital bed from the one of only two ailments that ever troubled him, unspecified internal bleeding, talking to me and my dad, when just arrived from a funeral, my great uncle comes walking in, wearing a bright green suit jacket and slacks, black shirt, and a wide purple tie with big white polka dots. I nearly choked on my own spit, and my dad just laughed quietly to himself. My great-uncle gives my grandfather a hardy, booming greeting, "Hey there Bud! I hope you are feeling better now! They get you any good lookin' nurses? Huh? huh?!?" My grandfather's eyes opened really wide.
Yes, I was thinking about him today, one of the relatives that once worked for Stetson Hats. Because today, I wore a brand-new hat to work.
I wore it to the 7-11 across the street when I got a sandwich for lunch. The Indian guy (three of them work there, it fits the stereotype so perfectly it eerie) looks up from the register and his eyes open real wide and he just looked at me like I was insane. His fellow co-worker just starts this quiet laugh (one that I've heard before in that hospital room so long ago)...
I'm betting you it was pants...maybe my zipper was down or the seat of my pants were ripped out or something?
Or maybe my shirt was on inside out and backwards or sumpin?

Thank you LadyStyx, I'm going to wear it all the time!

15 comments:
Oh I love your new hat..no one should giggle at all! :)
Nifty knoggin cover! I am thrilled that you wore something so epic. Great blog buddy ya got there!
You got me! And here I was, wondering why anyone would snicker at a Stetson. Had to go read the whole thing over again...:P
OMG! No wonder their eyes got big! LOLOL!!
Your great-uncle sounds like one of those larger than life type characters. Maybe he felt he was a comfort to people at the funerals. Let's hope, eh? ;)
Have a great Wednesday!
Ya got me! I can honestly say I did not expect that hat. LOL (good one, Styxie) I wished I had been in that 7-11 when you walked in. LOL
did a set of brass balls come with the hat?
Love it! It is SO you!
*chuckles* Ranger and I saw it at Wal-Mart... looked at each other and simply said "Iggy!" Then it went into the basket without another word. We're so glad you liked it. As I said in the email earlier, now you'll be appropriately attired when you attend a MLB Pittsburgh game!
Love the hat, Iggy! I can imagine the looks on the store clerks when you came in "sporting" such a hat! It will have everyone turning and looking and bringing a smile on their faces as you wear it in your "neighborhood". Your great uncle seemed like quite a character. That outfit you described of his sounded quite extraordinary. Makes you wonder if he was perhaps color blind and didn't realize how "bright" he might have looked?
betty
Ohmygosh! That's awesome and so totally YOU!!!! Enjoy!
I reckon they were secretly jealous they didn't have a hat like that, so they were laughing to mask it! :)
You are such a great story teller. I have tears in my eyes from laughing. Thank you! I needed to start my day like that!!!
I am laughing so hard. Great job Styxie! You are a brave soul to wear the hat, Igs.
I had to laugh at your "professional funeral goer" Great Uncle story because, with Jim being in the funeral business, he has talked about people that show up at every funeral - especially in the smaller towns. He calls them "professional funeral goers". I'll be sure to let him know that this is not something new and certainly not unique to this area!
Huges of huge hugs!
HA! You definitely have some guts wearing that in public, but I bet you pulled it off fabulously :) And, boy, would I love to have seen your great uncle's outfit! It sounds incredible!
I don't ever spew coffee -- because most of my laughs take enough time to gurgle up from wherever they do to give me notice. But I did need to swallow very quickly and I heard the giggle bubbling through the liquid before it turned the corners of my mouth and gave my eyes a few crinkles. Thanks dear friend. What a wonderful telling!
Post a Comment